Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Ten Common Myths About Book Values...

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Arrow Ten Common Myths About Book Values...

I found this article on "book myths" very interesting...thought you might, too...enjoy!

================================
    Myth: All books have at least some value.
    Reality: Stand in front of a bookcase containing, say, 100 books. Typically one or two of them will have enough resale value to bother with. These are the odds we booksellers face every day. The market's cold reality. Worse, many of the remaining books will have negative value - that is, there will be an expense to transport, store and/or dispose of them. The short reason for this revolting state of affairs is that the online marketplace has too many books and not enough buyers.

Myth: Old books are valuable.
    Reality: Human nature doesn't change much. A hundred years ago there was no radio, TV, etc., but there was a strong appetite for the same species of vacant content that viewers lust after today - that is, books were a primary source of light entertainment. Like TV shows, many vintage books were written quickly, had almost nothing of importance to say, and were executed so poorly that nobody in their right mind would want to read them today, let alone collect them. Also, printings were often large - this was especially true of fiction - and with few exceptions these are a tough sell.

Myth: Signed books have value.
    Reality: Highly collectible authors (and similarly collectible VIPs, celebrities, etc., who have put pen to books) comprise a very small percentage of the total faces in the marketplace, so the chance of a signed book having significant value is correspondingly small. If an unsigned book has value, the added presence of a signature may get it sold faster, but unless the signature is collectible in its own right, it's unlikely to significantly increase the value of the book.

Myth: First editions are valuable.
    Reality: Most first editions have no more value than anything else. The reason is that most books weren't good enough (or in enough demand) to merit additional production and exist only as first editions.

Myth: Bestsellers have value.
    Reality: Intuitively, it makes sense that bestsellers would make excellent candidates for resale simply because there's so much demand for them - and yet, if something sold for $29.99 a year ago, it might be difficult to understand why it's worth less than a buck today. The reason is simple: oversupply. Best sellers are printed in huge numbers to satisfy a huge initial demand, and once the primary market has been saturated, there are far fewer potential buyers waiting for copies in the secondary (used) market. Bestsellers may have a modest resale value if the secondary phase hasn't been reached yet - that is, if they're resold in the early months after their release (when new copies are still heavily stocked on shelves in new bookstores).

Myth: Scarce books are valuable.
    Reality: Only books that are both scarce AND in demand have value. Again, most scarce (or uncommon) books have little or no value because large printings couldn't be justified at the outset. You may love your grandmother dearly, but that collection of florid, saccharine poetry she self-published at a vanity press will likely have no value whatsoever to anybody outside the immediate family, if that - and yes, even if it's inscribed, dated, numbered and handsomely housed in a presentation clamshell box.

Myth: Big books have value.
    Reality: This misperception is especially prevalent among estate liquidators. Drop a coffee table book in their laps, and they'll slap a $10 or $20 price tag on it without blinking. The truth is that, as time marches on, fewer and fewer large books have significant value. One reason for this is that the coffee table phenomenon is a fairly recent publishing development; most big books, therefore, are both newer and more common. Also, many coffee table books, especially those published in the last decade, are often nothing but mass-produced reprints that began their retail lives on those bulkhead discount display tables at Barnes & Noble. (The best indication of coffee-table-book reprint status, by the way, is the absence of a price on the dust jacket.)

Myth: Encyclopedias are valuable.
    Reality: This is a hard one to swallow, especially if you dropped a G or more on a set of Britannicas 20 or 30 years ago, but again almost nobody wants them now.

Myth: Otherwise valuable books in bad condition still have significant value.
    Reality: Rarely. Condition still ranks as one of the most critical factors in determining value in the marketplace, and no matter how old a book is, collectors still expect the moon and see no reason to forgive poor condition at any age - unless forced into a corner by utter scarcity.

Myth: Big collections are valuable.
    Reality: Only if the individual books are. Anybody can amass a large collection of books without lifting a finger - in fact, if you don't jealously guard available shelf space 24/7, shelves will fill up with books as soon as you turn your back. If a collection is specialized, it may have more appeal to the right buyer, but ultimately, it's most likely that 1,000 near worthless westerns have only 1,000 times as much value as one near worthless western.

Very true, especially the bit about bestsellers; they sell because they are the latest thing, by the time the first owner passes them on they are usually worthless.
    The only non-myth (?) is that a book is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and I suppose that applies to everything else, too.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not being a seller of books I bow to your excellent explanation of the myths involved. Personally, I hardly ever throw out a book regardless of condition. Someday I may want to read it again. Might be why I'm always over crowded with books that aren't worth listing but I can't bear to part with. Anyone like "Fabiola, or the Church and the Catacombs?"
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Anyone like "Fabiola, or the Church and the Catacombs?"
    Dennis
    Maybe. Tell me more.

I do like keeping books but have got more disciplined in recent years to keep the numbers down; however, being rather anally retentive, I do like my books to 'match' - and have great fun tracking down the covers and size I want. I know, I should get out more. But eBid benefits lol.
    Linda

Parkgate Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View MHTTrading's Feedback (+3556)
    All-About MHTTrading
    View MHTTrading's Listings
    Forum Posts

I could do with a bit of info:

I don't normally sell books but I have two sets of 3 books sat doing nothing so might as well go.
    The first set of three are in dark green with gold block lettering "Modern Painter and Decorator" by Caxton Publishing reprinted 1962.

The second set of three are in Maroon with gold block lettering "Modern House Building" again by Caxton Publishing reprinted 1962.
    All the books are in excellent condition, and are still in the original packing boxes, I don't think they ever got read and was just an impulse buy by my mother.

If I list them is there any other information I need to add, I don't know all the technical terms for the condition of books, and do you think anyone would be even slightly interested considering the nature of the books, especially considering that Modern Painting and Decorating back in 1962 is a bit outdated for 2009

By the way this is a request for advice, not an advert

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rethreads View Post
    Maybe. Tell me more.
    It's about a Roman woman that chose to face the beasts in the arena rather than deny being a Christian. I read it when I was in high school in the mid 60's. I remember buying it from a bargain bin when the school closed and we moved to the new campus in '64. I haven't seen it around for years but I know I have it around somewhere. Wife says I never throw anything away especially books.

This thread brought it to mind. Now I'll have to search the attic. I've got boxes and boxes of stuff up there.

I remember discovering a cache of mystery's in the attic when I was a kid. Probably book of the month club or something like that. Every once in a while I'll recall some of the plots in those old stories. That must have been when I was 13 or 14 years old when I read those.

Maybe I'm slipping into my second childhood. Geez! I haven't finished the first one yet.

Dennis

Very good list of myths indeed.
    I have the books I sell and the books we keep. Hubby and I are very keen readers and do not like getting rid of OUR books... I don't re-read too many, but he must have read all of his at least 2 or 3 times each... We sometime think that when we are old with not enough money to have a proper retirement, maybe we can open our house as a library...
    Caroline

Just click on the following link to see my auctions.
    http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/main.c...er&go=%A0Go%A0

I gather you are saying my recently acquired "Pike's System of Arithmetick" published in 1826 and in poor condition is not worth much? Granny

Forum Newbie
    All-About SavannahTradeWinds
    View SavannahTradeWinds's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Sad

Yes it is very sad, that the average antiquarian book sale is going to a framer who wants
    to dismantle for illustrations and etchings. Even the classics are no longer a good investment.
    A good return remains for reference as long as it is reputable and you know what your looking for.

Thread Information