eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whos a Blood Doner

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Whos a Blood Doner

This thread brings to mind an interesting dilemma. Suppose that you were the victim of some sort of injury and suffered a catastrophic blood loss and it was a certainty that without receiving a transfusion immediately you would die. Unfortunately, the only donor with your blood type that could possibly provide the blood you need in time to save your life is a member of an at-risk group. Would you want the medical people on scene to perform a direct donor to patient transfusion or let you die?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    This thread brings to mind an interesting dilemma. Suppose that you were the victim of some sort of injury and suffered a catastrophic blood loss and it was a certainty that without receiving a transfusion immediately you would die. Unfortunately, the only donor with your blood type that could possibly provide the blood you need in time to save your life is a member of an at-risk group. Would you want the medical people on scene to perform a direct donor to patient transfusion or let you die?
    In such a situation I doubt that I would be in a position to make that decision for myself it would be made by a doctor. It's also one that I don't think would ever arise. As I said on an earlier post, if blood supplies were so low that the benefit outweighed any possible risk then the current bar on certain risk groups would likely not be applied (e.g. in time of war).

Nobody is saying that everyone in a risk group is a risk in themselves. The group is a statistical risk though so why take a risk that you don't need to?

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Afraid your post just proves that this is all about you and not about helping others. That you would even consider lying and possibly put anyone at risk is beyond belief.

I've got no time for you and will adding you to my blocked list as of this post.
    Where did I say I would lie on the form? I said you COULD. I never even thought about that, it was YOU who first mentioned lying on the form!!

How can it NOT be about helping other's when we are fighting for MORE people to be allowed to give blood which the Health Service NEEDS!!

It appears it's you that has the issue and need to live in the 21st Century.

I'm arguing the point to raise awareness of the current campaign which is gathering pace across the country, like I say with MPs and Doctor's backing it.

It's time for change.

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post

The Public Health England 2014 report on STDs shows clearly that STDs are a problem across society and not just in the gay community so the risks outside of the gay community also need to be assessed and managed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...TI_NCSP_v6.pdf
    Exactly, it should be based on sexual behaviour, not orientation. If a gay man has a lot of sexual partners and doesn't take precaution he shouldn't be allowed to donate, but neither should a straight man. This is where the current policy doesn't make sense.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

• UK blood donations have been screened for HIV antibodies since 1985 and for HIV RNA since 2007.
    • Each year between 20 and 40 diagnoses are attributed to infection from blood or tissue products acquired abroad, most frequently in Africa.

Blood donations in the UK have been screened for HIV antibodies since October 1985. The safety of blood transfusions was further reinforced with the introduction of fourth-generation tests (since 2001, except in Northern Ireland) and of RNA testing (in some regions from 2002, and in all parts of the UK from 2007).1
    Nonetheless, there is still the possibility of a donation being made during the window period between being infected and the test showing a positive result. For this reason, people who may be at a higher risk of having an infection are asked not to make blood donations.

you should of known the nswer to this countryfeedback it took me 5 mins to find it, there your reason which you nor any one else coud be bothered to find out
    Last edited by sidthelamp; 8th October 2015 at 10:48 PM.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

To get back to hard facts on this matter, another Public Health England report that was issued at the end of 2014 advises that for England:

In 2013 there were an estimated 107,800 people who were infected with HIV. The overall prevalence was 2.8 per 1,000 population aged 15 to 59 (1.9 per 1,000 women and 3.7 per 1,000 men). In other words the ratio of males to females with HIV within this wide age range was approximately 2 to 1.

Within that overall total, there were an estimated 43,500 males in the UK who had been infected with HIV from other males through physical interaction.

Within that overall total, there were an estimated 59,500 people of both genders living with HIV in 2013 in the UK who had acquired their infection from persons of the opposite gender through physical interaction. Of these, around 38,700 were born in Africa with an infection rate of 41 in 1,000 population for males and of 71 in 1,000 population for women.

This means that gay males do not represent a majority of the population in England who are infected with HIV.

There were an estimated 36,500 females in England in 2013 who were infected with AIDS.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...07-01-2015.pdf

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post
    To get back to hard facts on this matter, another Public Health England report that was issued at the end of 2014 advises that for England:

In 2013 there were an estimated 107,800 people who were infected with HIV. The overall prevalence was 2.8 per 1,000 population aged 15 to 59 (1.9 per 1,000 women and 3.7 per 1,000 men). In other words the ratio of males to females with HIV within this wide age range was approximately 2 to 1.

Within that overall total, there were an estimated 43,500 males in the UK who had been infected with HIV from other males through physical interaction.

Within that overall total, there were an estimated 59,500 people of both genders living with HIV in 2013 in the UK who had acquired their infection from persons of the opposite gender through physical interaction. Of these, around 38,700 were born in Africa with an infection rate of 41 in 1,000 population for males and of 71 in 1,000 population for women.

This means that gay males do not represent a majority of the population in England who are infected with HIV.

There were an estimated 36,500 females in England in 2013 who were infected with AIDS.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...07-01-2015.pdf

You certainly know the facts

Forum Saint
    All-About tonyreddevil
    Forum Posts

Any More Blood Donors Registered Lately.

No - but I have registered for a regular supply of surplus donations.
    My friend Chris Lee needs a vein or two
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Forum Saint
    All-About tonyreddevil
    Forum Posts