eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

I am still running XP and would like to continue to do so especially as I have an old statistical analysis program which does not run on any windows after XP. I would like to know if I can run XP and Linux on a dual boot system. I could then use Linux for anything online and so avoid security problems because Microsoft will stop supporting XP.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I would like to know if I can run XP and Linux on a dual boot system.
    Yes - see post #48 - and assuming you have enough space for both systems on your computer.
    If you google Scarborough Linux Group you can also get lots of info & advice from your local LUG members who would be more than happy to show you around Linux & advise I'm sure.

Forum Lurker
    All-About eBidSocial
    View eBidSocial's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now that Valve has made Steam for ubuntu almost all the pc games will soon have linux versions. in fact valves new Steam box is linux based and their owner sees it as the future of gaming.

Julie, linux is no longer for techies... my mum who is 64 and has no tech ability uses ubuntu as her everyday comp. as was sick of her windows pc being too slow.
    The reason i prefer ubuntu over other linux versions is that it is the most heavily supported and user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    OK - I've taken the bait - I have Windows 8.1 on my new PC - can I also run ubuntu or Linux alongside as an alternative?
    There are several ways of keeping both worlds. One (particularly if you have an older machine) is to "dual boot". This means that each time you start up the PC, you decide whether you're going to run Linux or Windows. You keep the two systems in separate partitions on your hard drive. Linux can easily read and write the files on your Windows partition, but it's much more difficult to have Windows see your Linux stuff. Typically Linux boots up more quickly, but it's a pain running like this because Windows takes quite a while to start. So this method is good only when you don't often switch between the two systems.

Another way of running your Windows apps is to have a Windows emulator in Linux. Wine is a free emulator, Crossover is a paid for one and runs more apps. But neither runs everything.

Yet another way, if you have a more modern PC, is to use a "virtual machine", such as VirtualBox (free). The idea is that you run something that emulates a complete PC, within your PC. So you can run any operating system within another and easily switch back and forth (just a mouse click or a hot key). For example, in Windows you could install VirtualBox (or VmWare, the industry leader, but proprietary) and within the virtual machine that creates you could install Linux. You could even, if you have as much ram as Jan has, run several virtual machines alongside one another!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    If you have space for another Operating System yes.... you would then have dual boot - and you can then have a default start up to whichever OS you wanted - and can also select which Operating System you want to use on start up.
    My start up default is to Linux Mint... but I can choose Ubuntu or OpenSuse if I wish.... (I have all three on mine.)
    Is that Windows 8? I ask because in fairness we should warn that setting up dual boot on any system, though pretty easy, you should always be cautious and take a full backup first. That's all I would say if we're talking XP/Vista/7.

But 8 is a whole new world, because MS has got together with other industry leaders and come up with "Secure Boot". Unfortunately this makes it significantly harder on many machines to set up dual boot. It's a big topic, one that we can't really cover adequately in a few forum posts.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I am still running XP and would like to continue to do so especially as I have an old statistical analysis program which does not run on any windows after XP. I would like to know if I can run XP and Linux on a dual boot system. I could then use Linux for anything online and so avoid security problems because Microsoft will stop supporting XP.
    Yes, that would be an excellent way forward. Or you could even boot Linux from a CD or a USB stick, though those methods would be slower than running from your hard drive. Initially, try running from a CD, that way you don't make any changes to your hard drive and you get to find out whether hardware such as your webcam is supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Ubuntu cheerleaders are really blowing in the wind.

Years ago Linux was going to take over the world.

They may be great, but they only suit a small group of techies.

The average computer buyer will always go for Windows (as that is what the high street shops stock)

And Windows 8.1 is ahead of the game with its touch screen capability.
    I'm astonished you'd stick your neck out like this. Julie, are you deliberately trolling? That's all perfectly valid, if you're living in a time warp! And I don't believe even in NZ that people are that far behind!

Cheaver wrote: "My group of Silver Surfers, most of whom are in their 70's & 80's, can hardly be classed as techies (nor am I) - and all, without exception, have found it easier than Windows & don't ever want to go backwards to Windows."

Yes, this is exactly my own experience. Last term I took a group of total beginners, retired people, and introduced them to Ubuntu. It was far easier than when I was teaching Windows in previous years.

For people already used to Windows, Ubuntu may be a little strange (though not much). It's a bit like moving to Apple after Windows, you soon get used to it. There are other Linux distros that may use more familiar ways, e.g. a lot of folk like Linux Mint.

By the way Julie, Win 8.1 is NOT ahead of the game with touch. What do you think Android is? (By the way, Android is built on top of the Linux kernel). Think how long Android has been around. And Ubuntu Touch is interesting too. Microsoft, far from being ahead, are desperately trying to catch up, now that they've seen the direction the world is moving.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Yes, that would be an excellent way forward. Or you could even boot Linux from a CD or a USB stick, though those methods would be slower than running from your hard drive. Initially, try running from a CD, that way you don't make any changes to your hard drive and you get to find out whether hardware such as your webcam is supported.
    Might try that with old XP PC wihich I'm still using as still transferring files, etc. to new PC/8.1

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I predict that in 5 years time Windows 9 or 10 will be the top operating system.

Ubuntu and Liinux will still be the preserve of a few.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I predict that in 5 years time Windows 9 or 10 will be the top operating system.

Ubuntu and Liinux will still be the preserve of a few.
    Oh deary me Julie.... I think you mean that Windows 9 or 10 might have caught up to Linux today surely?
    And by then who knows what Linux will have achieved?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868

Thread Information