Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Add discount feature. Looks daft when your BuyNow price is less than your bid price

Default Add discount feature. Looks daft when your BuyNow price is less than your bid price

Just thought I would do a sale on a number of my listings, and used the bulk edit feature.

Most of these listings are Auction AND Buy Now.

When I apply the discount it only acts on the Buy Now.

Looks a bit daft when you have a Buy Now price cheaper than the Bid Price

Any chance the Add Discount Feature can be extended to the Bid price as well?
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Add discount feature. Looks daft when your BuyNow price is less than your bid pri

It doesn't make sense, to me, to have a discount on a bid price.
    What's the point in bidding if you are offering a discount?

Just use the Buy Now listings for your discounts.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Add discount feature. Looks daft when your BuyNow price is less than your bid pri

must agree with Jewels on this , seems a silly question to me.............. papa.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

You can't really discount auction since you have no price to discount. An auction with BIN, being something of a hybrid, could cause a bit of a problem and end up with some interesting pricing results. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to discount the BIN on such listings. I would probably just lower the BIN price instead of using the discount feature.

If your worried about he price of your BIN being lower than your bid price then why not lower your bid price to compensate?
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    If your worried about he price of your BIN being lower than your bid price then why not lower your bid price to compensate?
    You've come nearest to understanding what I am trying to achieve, Though I don't want to lower the bid price just for the sake of compensating for the new lower BIN price after the applied discount - I actually do want to lower BOTH start price and BIN price, by the same percentage - all in one hit to save time - across a number of listings i.e. using bulk edit.

This isn't possible at present hence the suggestion in my original post.

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    It doesn't make sense, to me, to have a discount on a bid price.
    What's the point in bidding if you are offering a discount?
    This neatly brings us back round to the whole reason why I suggested extending the discount to the start price as well as the BIN price.- they would then be both in proportion to each other.

Just use the Buy Now listings for your discounts.
    Not practical if the items I want to discount are Auction with BIN

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

An auction, by its very nature, has the price determined by the buyer and not the seller. The only thing that the seller sets is the minimum opening bid. Basically, the seller is setting a reserve in the amount of the opening bid below which someone's offer (bid) will not be accepted. Bids are not the price of the item being sold, but rather an offer to purchase it for that amount.

The BIN price is the price the seller sets for the item (asking or sticker price). If you wish to discount that price fine, but as far as bidding goes that amount is set by the bidder. The two have no direct relationship with one another.

If you discover that you have set the minimum opening bid too high you can edit the listing to lower it, but it would have to be done on a case by case basis. Frankly, I would suggest ending the listings, editing and re-listing as it appears that the you have made an error in your estimate of the value of the item initially which needs to be corrected. When calling bids live it is relatively easy to chant down until an opening bid is received. Of course, in such cases the auctioneer isn't offering the item for sale by two different selling methods, auction and fixed price, at the same time.

Thread Information