Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are the bids?

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Where are the bids?

Ebid is not an exact copy of ebay.

The best thing to do is just to list what you have and what you know about.

If we all listed what everyone else sold where would we be ?

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I think you can infer from admin's normally accommodating attitude to implementing user suggestions, that their silence on this issue speaks volumes.

It matters not how good a user (or users) think an idea is - if admin don't agree, they are not going to do it. Equally, they are not going to argue the merits of the suggestion here in the forums.

When they feel a bid column would be in the interest of the site, I don't doubt is will appear in short order. It used to exist, so the code must already be written. All that is needed is the will.

Normally I would agree but that thread contained not a single valid point regarding the benefits of a bid column. Cant blame admin they really had nothing to consider other then some folks are asking for it. Just because other sites have it and folks truly beleive it will help I myself have to see a valid explanation of how it would help the site. All I ever got was someone telling me that I dont get it but they could not explain what there was to get.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Normally I would agree but that thread contained not a single valid point regarding the benefits of a bid column. Cant blame admin they really had nothing to consider other then some folks are asking for it. Just because other sites have it and folks truly beleive it will help I myself have to see a valid explanation of how it would help the site. All I ever got was someone telling me that I dont get it but they could not explain what there was to get.
    Just look at feebay... Bids on just about every scrolling page.. It speaks for itself. explanation??? I think not, if a person knows online auction and not fixed price. Red is red because it is red.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    If they want to take their users with them, they could be a bit more forthcoming.

And if they came on the forums and gave their reasons (which I believe they did when they took the bid column away) do you think certain people here would accept that? Or would they refuse to accept it and start arguing the toss? Should admin need to defend/debate their business decisions here in the forums? It is their business and they must run it as they see fit. If the way it is run does not suit, take your own business elsewhere to a place that does.

It is maybe a penalty of admin's usual accommodating nature that some forget just who owns eBid, and rather that requesting changes, start demanding them - even to the point of becoming offensive towards anyone who doesn't follow their view. I can't image they would make the same demands on the likes of eBay - as they would know they were wasting their time and likely to get their account closed for their efforts.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Just look at feebay... Bids on just about every scrolling page.. It speaks for itself. explanation??? I think not, if a person knows online auction and not fixed price. Red is red because it is red.
    Now dont get upset, no need for that lets just keep it calm. As you know this is not eBay. Not even close in members, listings or sales. Folks here want to know when adding a bid column what good will it do as compared to the last time eBid had a bid column?
    Personally having a bid column and millions of items will show no bids doesnt do a lot for me however, you have stated in the past once a bid column is implemented the site will grow faster. Can you please explain, calmly?

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    I quite understand that you are not bothered with having a bid column adruml as you sell consumer goods at a fixed price so I'm not quite sure why you are concerned with this issue if you don't use the eBid bidding system ?

In my opinion for those of us that sell collectibles. that may be rare or scarce, auctions are very important. With items that are hard to find auctions often help determine the market price that people are willing to pay. The sellers of collectibles on this site are often losing out on the true market value of their items due to the absence of a bid column and the publicity that brings to their listings. If buyers were to have their attention drawn to listings with existing bids then prices would certainly increase in many instances which benefits both the seller and the site. I hope that goes some way to explaining why I am concerned about this.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I quite understand that you are not bothered with having a bid column adruml as you sell consumer goods at a fixed price so I'm not quite sure why you are concerned with this issue if you don't use the eBid bidding system ?

In my opinion for those of us that sell collectibles. that may be rare or scarce, auctions are very important. With items that are hard to find auctions often help determine the market price that people are willing to pay. The sellers of collectibles on this site are often losing out on the true market value of their items due to the absence of a bid column and the publicity that brings to their listings. If buyers were to have their attention drawn to listings with existing bids then prices would certainly increase in many instances which benefits both the seller and the site. I hope that goes some way to explaining why I am concerned about this.
    Am with adruml on this - i also sell all my items as buy it now items.
    While a bid column MAY help some sellers, I believe that page after page of items with no bids showing will be detrimental to the site as a whole.
    That could possibly be the reason that admin got rid of it before.

As a buyer - i can genuinely say that seeing the number of bids on an item anywhere has never made me either look to see what it is, or bid on it.

Just out of interest - how long can one list an actual auction for here?
    Last edited by MagnetsAndHangers; 10th September 2011 at 01:12 AM.

If they have the code or whatever then to put it back up easily then by all means. If it reeked havoc with the site the no. There must have been a reason for taking it down.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would like to see a bid column. Just seems natural for an auction site; also makes the site more exciting. I make sales without a bid column. I believe a bid column would help to increase sales. Perhaps if the red crosses showing no bids were removed it would help lessen the glaring issue. The site is growing and it seems at least a trial run of showing bids should be considered. If a certain level of sales activity is wanted before even trying a trial run, then it might be helpful to inform users of this intent.

I can also understand Administration doing what it deems correct for the benefit of the site. Sometimes users may not have a broad understanding about the overall impact that certain changes can cause. That is why I do not get real upset about this issue.

P.S. The length of time an auction can be listed appears to be open-ended. I have seen it listed for 30 - 45 days, and with 10 reposts, that could get you to about a year. The actual length of days is typed in when setting up the auction.

I like 3, 7, 10, or 14 day auctions because it keeps it fresh and 7-14 gets it on Google (with a BIN included)..

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    I believe that page after page of items with no bids showing will be detrimental to the site as a whole.
    That could possibly be the reason that admin got rid of it before.
    That is my understanding. After gathering statistics following the first introduction of the bid column it was found to be having a negative impact on the site. When they came to revamp the site they took the opportunity to ditch the bid column.

While the previous (ill fated) thread on this subject was ongoing, I monitored the Popular and Closing Auctions lists. Discounting the YDC auctions, the highest bid count I saw was 3 on one item, the odd few has 2 bids, the majority had just a single bid - and these were the 'high bid activity' auctions. There is simply not the bid activity on the site to give a bid column any purpose - indeed it could have (as I think admin found) a negative effect. What would a column of 1s achieve? Not, I believe, what those asking for it think it would. Maybe when/if eBid gets enough traffic that things do not sell on BuyNow or on a single bid it would have worth. When that time comes, I fully expect admin will be the first to realise it and introduce the bid column.

Thread Information