Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Seeking Advise

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Hi Treasureloft, and welcome!

I looked at your listings and things look good. As Tias says, extend your listings to 7-10 days, google buyers can't be rushed. Looks like you are getting traffic already so I think you are probably on google already. Might want to check that.

The only auction I saw that had a slightly off price was that first little purse for $1.99. It is a sweet little thing(s), and I would up the price and reduce the shipping. Flip those two. You have shipping at 4.99 for parcel post, which is high, why not $3.99 or 4.99 for purse and shipping 1.99? That would give value to the bag and it is still around $5, which is reasonable. Rest of prices look in line and shipping is more reasonable.

I believe that your terms section is way too long, makes me think, OH NO, what does all this mean? Especially the availability portion, I started to think you were drop shipping from China or something, and the items would not be available. It that does not apply to this item, should not be in listing, might turn buyer off sale. Add to about seller page. Should have only a paragraph of so and put rest on about seller page, but again keep it simple, friendly, etc. Google shoppers buy all over the web and like that quality in a seller.

I got confused at the pre-sale terms too. Wasn't sure if it applied to item I was looking at, if not, move to about seller page and shorten it way down. At this point it does not sound appealing, no ship date, not available now, from from foreign country, may take time. Why should I buy that? Put a twist on it and tell about past bargains you offered with this type of sale.

Might want to read up on ebid terms. ebid has no time limit for paying, so asking for payment in 3 days, might be pushing it a bit with our buyers. You might want to make it 7 days, or drop that entirely.

You have a nice variety of items, and if you keep adding more, you will get lots of google attention. Stuff the stores full, and offer buyers a discount on shipping for buying two items. I offer free shipping second items, plus discount 2nd, 3rd etc, as a monthly sale so ALWAYS get multiple sales. State the discounts very clearly in listing and even banner (notices), and this may tempt many to buy more items each time. Some of your items are very reasonable, so for gifts, they would be perfect. Why not discount shipping on second items, and get more sold? Good holiday gifts.

Someone is always here to help you.
    @deltadelta48 ... Thank you for all your input, suggestions and advice. This morning I revised that that little hand bag s you suggested and I've also redone those lengthy terms. I'm having trouble though, and have since coming here, in using eBid's listing editor. I'm usually very good with these kinds of things as I do a lot of Microsoft Publisher brochures and such from home for a different set of customers. But with this FCKeditor here it seems very difficult to control the formatting. I put the new terms and stuff on that listing of the little hand bag but I had to work with it to get the current appearance. I have these done in an OpenOffice document that I should just be able to cut/paste from into eBid but when I do it creates it's own format based I'm assuming on formatting above where I paste into. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by TreasureLoft; 28th September 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureLoft View Post
    @deltadelta48 ... Thank you for all your input, suggestions and advice. This morning I revised that that little hand bag s you suggested and I've also redone those lengthy terms. I'm having trouble though, and have since coming here, in using eBid's listing editor. I'm usually very good with these kinds of things as I do a lot of Microsoft Publisher brochures and such from home for a different set of customers. But with this FCKeditor here it seems very difficult to control the formatting. I put the new terms and stuff on that listing of the little hand bag but I had to work with it to get the current appearance. I have these done in an OpenOffice document that I should just be able to cut/paste from into eBid but when I do it creates it's own format based I'm assuming on formatting above where I paste into. Very frustrating.
    Looks good, that is too nice a little leather bag to go so cheaply. If people see a cheaper price, they often think it is not a nice bargain, so that change should make a difference. They are smaller and you do have more, you could offer two or three for something too? Maybe people would consider them for employee gifts, or gifts for friends, a nice little item.

Using other editors does do that sometimes. On feebay almost every editor or service worked, here the options might be limited, perhaps to prevent problems with viruses, etc? When you edit, note that you can go into an alternate format via a little button on upper left of edit box. Maybe you picked up some extra spacing, underlying, etc and need to take it out. Easy to click, take out whatever, and change it back. See if that helps.

Its a lot of work to make the changes but you will only have to do it once, and it will result in sales.

Your items are beautiful. I was in Tuesday Morning last week and saw a similiar leather carryon bag that you have (that boxy one with the two handles) and it was I think about $10 more and they only had one!!

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Using other editors does do that sometimes. On feebay almost every editor or service worked, here the options might be limited, perhaps to prevent problems with viruses, etc? When you edit, note that you can go into an alternate format via a little button on upper left of edit box. Maybe you picked up some extra spacing, underlying, etc and need to take it out. Easy to click, take out whatever, and change it back. See if that helps.
    @deltadelta48 ... Again, I sincerely appreciate your time and input as well as the nice things you've stated about my listings. I came here with the hopes that business would be better here and I believe it could be but this editing thing is making it very very difficult. The little button you spoke of, I'm assuming you were referring to the 'source' button? That only lets you see the HTML version of your standard text format and I have tried the other (3) little buttons for paste, paste as text and paste from Word. Nothing changes and now, I've made the terms change on my second item, the Wine Globe, and I can see it when I'm in the edit mode but after saving it and then reviewing it as a buyer would see it, the changes are not there at all and the listing ends with my statement "Shipping only to the 48 states".

I've logged out, cleared my cache and history along with websites visited, rebooted my unit and get the same results. All my Word and Open Office, as well as notepad, documents are functioning correctly on my machine so I'm starting to think the problem is on eBid's end somehow. Like I said, very very frustrating and just editing to get things right leaves no time for working on listing even more items here. This is why I asked for opinions before I started to move ALL my items to eBid and I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback so far but this isn't looking too promising. For now, I just won't state any terms at all I suppose but that doesn't leave me with the warm fuzzies if you know what I mean by that. At FeeBay you learn to look over your shoulder all the time and maybe I've just carried too much of that feeling over here with me but I like to cover myself just in case, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by shellsdesigns View Post
    hi can any please send me the google check out link thank you
    shell
    @shell ... If you're just starting out with Google Checkout then you will find that first you have to register a basic Google account and then locate the option for opening a Google Checkout account also. It's not the same as PayPal just so you'll know in advance and the process is sometimes a little confusing but below is the link for Checkout ...

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...&ltmpl=default

If you run into problems don't hesitate to ask for more help. I'm sure there are others here also who will gladly assist and help in whatever way we can.

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureLoft View Post
    @deltadelta48 ... Again, I sincerely appreciate your time and input as well as the nice things you've stated about my listings. I came here with the hopes that business would be better here and I believe it could be but this editing thing is making it very very difficult. The little button you spoke of, I'm assuming you were referring to the 'source' button? That only lets you see the HTML version of your standard text format and I have tried the other (3) little buttons for paste, paste as text and paste from Word. Nothing changes and now, I've made the terms change on my second item, the Wine Globe, and I can see it when I'm in the edit mode but after saving it and then reviewing it as a buyer would see it, the changes are not there at all and the listing ends with my statement "Shipping only to the 48 states".

I've logged out, cleared my cache and history along with websites visited, rebooted my unit and get the same results. All my Word and Open Office, as well as notepad, documents are functioning correctly on my machine so I'm starting to think the problem is on eBid's end somehow. Like I said, very very frustrating and just editing to get things right leaves no time for working on listing even more items here. This is why I asked for opinions before I started to move ALL my items to eBid and I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback so far but this isn't looking too promising. For now, I just won't state any terms at all I suppose but that doesn't leave me with the warm fuzzies if you know what I mean by that. At FeeBay you learn to look over your shoulder all the time and maybe I've just carried too much of that feeling over here with me but I like to cover myself just in case, ya know?
    If I'm reading you correctly, have you tried the little 'remove formatting' brush which is just to the left of the font choice. I highlight the whole text to try this when I have copied and pasted a description I typed in Office Word or Works Word. Then just reformat using the WYSIWYG. I struggle sometimes when I go back to correct things or relist after changing text and sometimes find this method works.

Quote Originally Posted by LesliesDaughter View Post
    If I'm reading you correctly, have you tried the little 'remove formatting' brush which is just to the left of the font choice. I highlight the whole text to try this when I have copied and pasted a description I typed in Office Word or Works Word. Then just reformat using the WYSIWYG. I struggle sometimes when I go back to correct things or relist after changing text and sometimes find this method works.
    @LesliesDaughter ... Yes, I have tried that also but to no avail but thank you so much for taking your time to post back :-). As I mentioned earlier, when I open my second listing, the Wine Globe, in edit mode I can see my changes of the terms but in preview changes or save changes and then viewing the listing, those changes are not appearing. Also, just this evening I went on to the third item, the Men's Leather Jacket, and pasted the terms in plain text and again when previewing the changes or saving and then viewing the item, there is no change to the listing. This is a bug on eBid's part that should to be addressed. I'm here now and already went with Lifetime Seller+ so I'll have to make the best of the situation but in good concience I can hardly start to talk it up to my friends and family much less devote an inordinate amount of time to creating a lot of new listings, especially when nothing is selling or receiving active bidding.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you're trying to paste in descriptions (or parts thereof) created in office type software I'd recommend you use the "paste from Word" option to add them to your listings. Office docs make lousy html code, which the editor here tries to fix and sometimes ends up making it worse - if you use the paste from Word option it seems to make a bit better job of it. The paste from Word button is the clipboard with a W on it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    If you're trying to paste in descriptions (or parts thereof) created in office type software I'd recommend you use the "paste from Word" option to add them to your listings. Office docs make lousy html code, which the editor here tries to fix and sometimes ends up making it worse - if you use the paste from Word option it seems to make a bit better job of it. The paste from Word button is the clipboard with a W on it.
    @bykimbo ... Ugggghhh, and you're so right about the FCKeditor that eBid's chosen to use here. Although I've used the FCeditor version before for webpage design and maintenance and it does work well usually but the advanced FCK version doesn't seem to like my OpenOffice stuff so much. Reminds me of how much my last wife liked me too though :-)~. Anway, I did put a job ticket in with eBid's support team yesterday evening and much to my surprise and delight, I had a response USA side first thing this morning. It WAS in the HTML source code that the editor created when I pasted from OpenOffice format. I've corrected all that now, changed some settings in my OpenOffice to be more 'user friendly' with FCK and voila! It all seems to be working now. So, that was a nice surprise and an EXTREME change from FeeBay where they don't even know you're alive when you need help. THANK YOU eBid support team!

@LesliesDaughter ... Thank you again for your reference to the Reformat button. I had used this before but what I discovered was that if I placed the cursor at the point I wanted to insert text, did a <shift-control-end>, clicked the reformat button and then without typing or moving anything from that point just do a paste with my desired text, it went in perfectly. I think what I was doing wrong before was hitting the space or enter key after clicking the Reformat button and THEN pasting. This was just picking up any previous formatting that existed.

and @Everyone who took their time to help by posting their suggestions and experiences ... THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! Now, if I can just figure out how to sell something I'll be in peachy shape!
    Last edited by TreasureLoft; 29th September 2010 at 06:46 PM.

Forum Newbie
    View thecub71's Feedback (+139)
    All-About thecub71
    View thecub71's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi

I am new to Ebid. And I did come from the greedbay. I have posted 255 items that i moved from the other site. I am getting hits and hope to get bids soon. I was trying to export listing into google base but keep getting errors. I am using the export listing on this site . Any suggestions? Please give feedback on store I really appreciate it. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all. Have a GREAT DAY

http://bobbys-bargain-treasures.ebid.net
    Last edited by thecub71; 29th September 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Thread Information