Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Queen in Canada

Name:  CdnFlag.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  1.8 KB

Happy Canada Day!

We went out to the local park where the festivities were going on and had a walk around the lake. Then some DQ. I'm tired so don't know if I'll stay up long enough to watch the fireworks.

I've always thought it was a wonderful coincidence that Canada Day and Independence Day in the US happened to fall so close together, with valid reasons for both countries to celebrate those dates.

And I've also often been very grateful that we had that particular country on our northern border.

Happy birthday, Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Nobody has to be King or Queen. It is her choice to remain as such.

Personally I would be glad to be rid of the lot of them - but don't know what I would replace it with as head of state.
    An elected President
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Personally I would be glad to be rid of the lot of them - but don't know what I would replace it with as head of state.
    Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    An elected President
    Well...we elect our politicians and other countries elect presidents and I know of very few of either that is worth anything. So I don't really see that as an answer.

The titular head of state filled by the King or Queen does provide continuity. They see transient world governments come and go. In the case of the current Queen she has seen most things on the world stage. They are not directed by the latest political whim or driven by the need for re-election. Of course, there is also the concern that if we went over to electing a president then Blair would be back sniffing at the door with Mandy riding on his back.

No, for all their faults (and there are many) I still think them preferable to any alternative I have heard.

As noted early in the thread though - why, given their privileged and pampered lives, do they always look so bl**dy miserable? Of the ones I have had contact with down the years Anne was the only one you could have a laugh with.

Thread Information