eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Carrier Bag Scandal

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The Carrier Bag Scandal

I don't think that you have to give thought to Labour; they were unelectable before and will be even more unelectable under Carbine and his like. They belong to an age that no longer exists - but don't get that simple fact.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

It sounds like in some segments of the UK the government has decided to levy a tax on plastic bags. Of course, as mentioned by others, the cost of those bags has already been included in store's pricing so the additional charge, if mandated by the government, is simply a tax.

My wife and I both carry copy paper boxes in our trunks (car boots) along with reusable shopping totes, but we also on occasion get things in plastic bags. These we use to line small trash cans so they do have a secondary use. Of course, I suppose one could buy boxes of single use plastic trash bags for that purpose. Many stores here also have collection receptacles at their entrances to recycle the ones they use to bag your purchases which usually have the store's logo for advertising.

While I'm not sure of precisely how beneficial to the environment such recycling actually is, I would assume that re-using the things has merit. Of course, I'm somewhat confused as to whether or not paper has any benefit over plastic, but I fail to see how levying a tax on a receptacle used to get your purchase home from the store is a benefit. This is especially true if the store is allowed to retain the tax money collected. It would be more logical for the government to use that tax money work on finding solutions to environmental problems. However, I suppose there has never been a government in recorded history here on earth that can be accused of logical thought.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I remember an argument in M&S when I tried to trade in a tatty Bag-for-Life for a good one. They refused.
    I pointed out that I was still alive, as I was standing there talking, and expected to be back several more times over the years.
    Only when the queue was half way down the shop, and I was waiting for the official M&S definition of "for Life" did they relent, and give me another with a very bad grace.

Very poor customer service, welching on the deal, and not what you expect from M&S

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Charging for plastic carrier bags is an excellent idea. The French have been doing it for some years now. All you have to do is take your own bags with you when you go to shop.
    I can't take my own bags. I am housebound so do all of my grocery shopping on-line

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i too do most of my shopping online and happily pay tesco 40p for my bags. tesco gives the money to charity and i reuse the bags as bin liners so happy all round
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

JaBek, The reason why charging for supermarket carrier bags is being introduced to England is that it is intended to reduce the usage of plastic bags, thereby helping the environment. The Government’s explanation can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...c-carrier-bags

I do not agree with all of the Government’s reasoning behind this. There is a litter problem here in many parts in England but it is mostly due to discarded chocolate bar wrappers, cigarette packets, chewing gum wrappers, crisp packets, etc., rather than carrier bags. Most supermarket carrier bags get taken home because they are full of shopping rather than get discarded on the streets as litter. Sometimes a notion gets into the public consciousness without any meaningful analysis which means that the problem solving is not optimised. Supermarket carrier bags is one of those – one particular type of packaging product that is not causing the biggest litter problem gets demonised and dealt with whilst many others get ignored.

Going off topic again but just as an indicator of how we do not get joined up thinking in UK Government between different parts of Government, London suffers from air pollution. The air is very dirty here and does not meet European Union environmental standards. The UK Government has been fined by the EU for dirty air in London which causes premature deaths due to respiratory problems. Environmental activists in the UK were successful in taking the UK Government to the UK Supreme Court and getting the Court to order the Government to clean up the air in London. All cars in the UK which are more than three years old have to pass a Government roadworthiness inspection which includes emissions testing. A car that does not meet the emissions standards required cannot be driven. Despite all this, we have just learned that the UK Government has known all along that the Volkswagen Audi Group had the rogue software programme in the engine control units fitted to some of its cars with diesel engines and knew all along that in real life outside of the rigged test situations that these engines were pumping out levels of pollution that broke emissions standards – yet did nothing about it. VAG diesel engines are obviously not the only source of air pollution in London but it is not unreasonable to have hoped that the lights would have turned on in somebody’s head somewhere in Government to get a link with dirty air in London.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Westlondoncarparts. The problem might be that the light was on but was switched by someone in Government with a vested interest.

I hate plastic bags! I prefer 'shopping bags'.

I bought some lovely small carrier bags here on eBid - some jute and some polypropylene...
    they are light to carry, strong .. and very pretty lol
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    Asda swap them if they are torn or have a hole in.
    So do Tesco, so don't know what M&S were playing at.

Thread Information