Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Search result variations.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Search result variations.

My main sales stream on here is Postcards.

So the figures I list below are relative to this category.

Buyer Scenario #1,
    I am a new postcard buyer wishing to browse (not for a specific postcard), I open the eBid main page looking to buy, so I click on the Buy tab in the block at the top of the page.
    I then get a list of eBid Categories, I don't see postcards.
    I then wonder where to look so I try Collectables by clicking on the + at the side of the category name.
    I then get a very long list of categories and find the Postcards category which shows 238,620 items
    I click on the link and get a result of 239,954 items?
    There is then a list of 40 sub-cats to run through.

Buyer Scenario #2
    I am a new postcard buyer wishing to browse (not for a specific postcard), I open the eBid main page looking to buy, so I use the search box in the green bar,
    I use the term Postcards in the search, I get a result of 143,808 items compared to 238,620 in Scenario #1,
    A difference of -94,812
    I use the term Postcard in the search, I get a result of 143,867

Looking at the left column it is clear that postcards sellers have a job deciding which category to use, but that figure of 143,808 or 143,867 includes postcards in 'incorrect' categories.

Buyer Scenario #3
    As in #2 but using Advanced Search with the Search Descriptions button clicked.
    I get a total of 214,608 items

So, just looking for Postcards I have different results when looking via the main page.

#1 238,620
    #2 143,808 or 143,867
    #3 214,608.

Ask yourself this question, If I were a new buyer looking to browse for a postcard to buy, which would be the method you would choose?

My guess would be #2, which unfortunately for postcard sellers gives the least results.

Is it a result of sellers not using the word Postcard in the title and or description or another reason?.

Try the different searches yourself for your products, it wil be interesting to see the results.
    Last edited by Poscar; 20th May 2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Search result variations.

I noticed a big difference in search numbers if you search POSTCARDS vs POST CARDS.....(which is also used by some people)
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

I guess the lesson here is for postcard sellers to always include the word Postcard in the item title.

It is very important to consider key words that might be searched on and include these in the item title. Not only for internal eBid searches but visibility in Google.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunsock View Post
    I guess the lesson here is for postcard sellers to always include the word Postcard in the item title.

It is very important to consider key words that might be searched on and include these in the item title. Not only for internal eBid searches but visibility in Google.
    I totally agree, just because it is in the correct category does not mean it will get picked up in a general search.
    There's an example right now in the left column, no mention of postcard in title or description, no chance of ever being discovered in a general search, but a specific search does pick it up.

I admit to leaving the word postcard out of a title , you can get engrossed in trying to include as much about the card as possible and end up leaving out the most important word!
    I am busy re-jigged my listings to improve search visibilty (and to check for missing keywords ).
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Thread Information