eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

Default Re: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I predict that in 5 years time Windows 9 or 10 will be the top operating system.

Ubuntu and Liinux will still be the preserve of a few.
    I wouldn't like to take bets either way. We're in very interesting times. If Google have their way most of us will be storing our data with them and using Chromebooks (though I won't). And Mozilla are working on an o/s based on Firefox.

But do tell us, on what do you base your firmly held beliefs and predictions?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Lurker
    All-About eBidSocial
    View eBidSocial's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

The problems dual booting with windows 8 have all but been eliminated esspecially with ubuntu in the recent updated version.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    But do tell us, on what do you base your firmly held beliefs and predictions?
    Because the most popular OS of all time is Windows 7
    Because MS one of the biggest corporations is behind it.
    Because most people buy what they have always bought.
    Because most high street shops stock Windows.
    Because MS appreciate the need to make their OS multi device capable. (8 is a step in that direction)
    Because for most people Windows does all they need
    Because most games are written for Windows

I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Because the most popular OS of all time is Windows 7
    Because MS one of the biggest corporations is behind it.
    Because most people buy what they have always bought.
    Because most high street shops stock Windows.
    Because MS appreciate the need to make their OS multi device capable. (8 is a step in that direction)
    Because for most people Windows does all they need
    Because most games are written for Windows

I could go on.
    I'll accept most of that. But you claimed "Ubuntu and Liinux will still be the preserve of a few".

I'm wondering how you define "few". Even almost 5 years ago people were remarking that everyone on the planet uses Linux, they just don't know it! http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6671/1

However, I'm assuming that you're talking only about desktop users. There are millions of users worldwide. Admittedly you and I, Julie, see relatively little of this, for I suspect NZ is much like UK, where corporates and government departments have been slow to move away from proprietary software and it gets little coverage by journalists. But worldwide it's very different. There are companies switching 10s of thousands of desktops.

Bill Gates used to be happy to see rampant piracy in Asia, he took the long view. Get the users hooked, then tighten control (features such as "Windows Genuine Advantage"). Not unlike the Opium Wars. Except it backfired. China is switching to Linux as an official policy!

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters which is just the tip of the iceberg.

But let's not bicker about this. Find some Linux users, chat with them. Download a CD (remember it's not piracy, you're encouraged to do this) and try it out. Don't just roadtest for an hour or two and shy away because it's a little different. Nobody would switch to Apple if they were fearful of change, and (depending on the version of Linux you choose) Linux can be less of a change than that. I don't expect you'll suddenly convert, people rarely do. But you'll be better informed about your options.

Looking at your location, why not go along to a meeting at http://www.boplug.co.nz/index.php -- they must be on your doorstep! They've got an open day on the 26th of this month!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm keeping an eye on this linux/ubuntu information - very interesting.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I still like MSDOS
    Name:  computer.gif
Views: 75
Size:  63.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    I still like MSDOS
    You'll love Bash then! It stands for Bourne Again Shell, and is the commonly provided command line (though there are alternatives, for those who like choice).

With Windows, there was a time when you had to know how to use the command line (MSDOS). But it became less and less true. Same has happened with Linux.

Why is it called the Bourne Again Shell? That's an exercise left for the curious reader! Maybe your cartoon had something to do with it, Bill!

Jan,

I'm going to bump your old thread as I'm needing to sort out my own computer issues and have been giving this a read.

Since I'm running XP, time is running out for me to come up with a solution. Husband had found an article that said that support for XP was being extended into 2015, but now we've learned that is not the case. So I need to do some research quickly and find a way to deal with this.

My computer is from 2004, I think, and the hard drive is pretty well filled up. This computer was a Dell and it's been a good one. I've moved a lot of my pictures / music / audio books / to two remote hard drives that I use in order to free up space.

I've only ever used a desktop PC , except now use iTunes, iPhone and iPad as well. Husband's last computer purchase was MacBook Air. He had always had Dell laptops before this one. He likes this computer, so now I'm undecided about PC or Apple as well.

My printer could stand to be replaced, but I have a scanner that I like (it gets used a lot) and I don't think it will work with Windows 8. It's an hp scanjet 8200 bed scanner. So I'd like to find a way to keep using my scanner. It looks like the scanner would work with Linux.

And I understand that I can download Linux and give it a try for free?

I have absolutely no knowledge about other operating systems, so this thread is giving me a starting point.

Thanks.
    :-)

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
    this is my recomendation, lots of info here and the download too.

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

blimey this this is from an old thread

Thread Information