Thread: To Have or Not To Have a Bid Column

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: To Have or Not To Have a Bid Column

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    If the site can't draw enough potential bidders to support competitive bidding the presence or absence of a bid column isn't really going to matter one way or the other. In that case, the site might be better off dropping the auction format altogether and re-invent itself as an online marketplace and not an auction site. The site has been around long enough for management to know if it is reaching enough potential bidders to be a viable auction sales entity or not.

There are quite a few sites that act as online sales platforms without any pretense of being an auction site. Even the bay appears to be trying to live down its reputation as being an auction site and re-invent itself more in the mold of an online retailer operation like Amazon. It would probably be much easier for eBid to do something of that nature since there are still many shoppers that haven't heard of eBid so have no preconceived notion that it is an auction site. Merely do away with the mention of auctions and bidding and go with fixed price listings.

Let's face it, there is no way to sell at auction if the sales room is empty. It takes more than one interested person to drive an auction. If the site doesn't draw enough interested bidders than there is no reason to open bidding. just set the asking price and be done with it.
    Well...’’Bek’’ like I say before you’re look to me like good auctioneer…...but anyway you write ‘’If the site doesn't draw enough interested bidders than there is no reason to open bidding’’
    So in your opinion what did you think why is the reason why this site doesn’t draw enough interested bidders…? I know you write ‘’If’’ but I think we can go without that ‘’if’’ because for the real not much bidding wars exist in here why is that…?...
    Why after many…many…many…years this stuff ‘’bids’’ or ‘’bidding wars’’ just can’t move from the beginning…
    I know many shoppers don't hear much for eBid, but if we go away with ''auction'' and go with fixed price listing only what will change in the future because as I can see now we already have in here most of items set with fixed price but still not much shoppers around even for that fixed price...
    Thanks in advance for your answer and time......

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

"Auction format is a useful additional option and an attractive USP over many other alternative sites. Removing it just because it doesn't quite match up to a) another site's selling throughput or b) match a few individual sellers specific requirements based on a narrow set of personal preferences doesn't make it a failure that must be removed. "

It's not really a matter of what another site in doing in the way of sales. The fact remains that in order to sell at auction one needs more than one bidder in order to have a competitive bidding situation. Otherwise, the item sells for the opening bid price so one might as well just set the price and forget about the bidding part.

When it comes matching a someone's specific set of set of requirements, that is done every day by almost everyone on the planet. A buyer isn't concerned about what is in the best interest of the seller he or she is doing business with. They are interested in how they can best satisfy their wants and needs. Personally, I like auctions.That is why I went to school, took my state boards and obtained my license. Frankly, it is a lot cheaper to simply sell retail, licensing wise, than to operate an auction business. However, I've recently almost totally abandoned listing auction style in favor of fixed price with the haggle option since there doesn't appear to be much interest in bidding here on eBid.

Admittedly, online auctions don't have the same adrenalin producing excitement as a live auction, but without even two bidders interested in the same item one might as well just set up a table in ones driveway, prop up a yard sale sign sit down in one's lawn chair and wait for people to stop by. Or simply stock the stores virtual shelves, set a fixed price and let the items sit there until someone happens in to buy them. Actually, the yard sale has a bit more appeal since there is more person to person contact.

Naturally, I'm not overly concerned with how well anyone else's business does other than I would like to be on a relatively successful site. I don't begrudge Gazza & Mark anything they make from their endeavor. However, I am concerned on how their efforts affect my endeavors so I feel absolutely justified in voicing my opinions. And since this is the website suggestion forum, what better place to make my suggestions & opinions on suggestions known?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post

Naturally, I'm not overly concerned with how well anyone else's business does other than I would like to be on a relatively successful site. I don't begrudge Gazza & Mark anything they make from their endeavor. However, I am concerned on how their efforts affect my endeavors so I feel absolutely justified in voicing my opinions. And since this is the website suggestion forum, what better place to make my suggestions & opinions on suggestions known?
    Oh please, you're better than that. Yep, make your suggestions. Of course. Show me where it says only people who agree with the suggestions are allowed to post. It's a *discussion* forum, I'm discussing. I'm voicing MY opinion, which on this particular topic doesn't necessarily match yours. I explained my point of view, I didn't say you weren't allowed to post. Are you saying I'm not allowed to disagree with you?

I do think there are some posters on this subject who add nothing positive to the discussion and would be well advised to give it a rest, but if they want to keep shooting themselves in the foot by insulting all and sundry who disagree, that's their prerogative.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    Well...’’Bek’’ like I say before you’re look to me like good auctioneer…...but anyway you write ‘’If the site doesn't draw enough interested bidders than there is no reason to open bidding’’
    So in your opinion what did you think why is the reason why this site doesn’t draw enough interested bidders…? I know you write ‘’If’’ but I think we can go without that ‘’if’’ because for the real not much bidding wars exist in here why is that…?...
    Why after many…many…many…years this stuff ‘’bids’’ or ‘’bidding wars’’ just can’t move from the beginning…
    I know many shoppers don't hear much for eBid, but if we go away with ''auction'' and go with fixed price listing only what will change in the future because as I can see now we already have in here most of items set with fixed price but still not much shoppers around even for that fixed price...
    Thanks in advance for your answer and time......
    I don't know what the end result would be if the site were totally fixed price versus the hybrid it is now. Perhaps cutting loose the need to maintain a bidding system would free up resources that could be used to better establish the site in the mind of the buying public. While I personally like buying & selling at auction, if that plan isn't working it might be time to go to plan B.

The site needs to draw more shoppers into the virtual mall or shopping center are whatever you want to call it. It needs to draw shoppers in so that the merchants have a chance to turn them into buyers. A "build it and they will come" philosophy might not be enough without getting the word out that it has been built.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Oh please, you're better than that. Yep, make your suggestions. Of course. Show me where it says only people who agree with the suggestions are allowed to post. It's a *discussion* forum, I'm discussing. I'm voicing MY opinion, which on this particular topic doesn't necessarily match yours. I explained my point of view, I didn't say you weren't allowed to post. Are you saying I'm not allowed to disagree with you?

I do think there are some posters on this subject who add nothing positive to the discussion and would be well advised to give it a rest, but if they want to keep shooting themselves in the foot by insulting all and sundry who disagree, that's their prerogative.
    I did say anything about those with opposing views not being allowed to post, Kim. Actually, I think that debating both sides of an issue is a healthy way to deal with the pros & cons of an issue. I'm merely replying to your reply to my reply and so on. Frankly, I'm just voicing my opinions and nothing more. I take nothing personally regarding those that hold and voice opposite points of view.

Do I wish any of my fellow eBid sellers ill? No. However, is their well being of more concern to me than my own? No. Do I think that bids should be readily visible on the gallery pages for potential bidders to see. Yes. Do I think that if the site can't draw enough potential bidders into the site to facilitate competitive bidding it should consider converting to a strictly fixed price format? Yes.

Of course, these are just my personal feelings and aren't meant to say that everyone must agree.

I think we are getting away from the intent of this poll. There are always going to be those for and those against (and both sides have made good points) but this is a poll to see what the feelings are about it. We are just a small portion of the sellers on this site but I think we are a good representation of them. Lets just let the poll give us the picture of sellers thinking.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Could some of the posters who voted no, please give their reasons ?

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Why??????

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I already have.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I voted no because I think acres of zeroes will not help sales.

How about changing the colour of the price of an item when it has a bid? Or a logo which indicates "this item is selling" or some such?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Thread Information