My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gazza - Mobile friendly eBid?

Default Re: Gazza - Mobile friendly eBid?

I do know what an app will do, have a house full of people with them, thats why i would rather money was spent on an add for example on You Tube.

My daughter would rather lose an arm than her Blackberry.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

What does API stand for, by the way? Not being an IT person I'm not sure how having one would benefit me, but would probably have a better idea if I knew precisely what it is and what it does or allows to be done. Of course, explanations in simple English would help.

Forum Master
    Penarth, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Salomina27's Feedback (+273)
    All-About Salomina27
    View Salomina27's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    And you managed 40 years without a computer !
    Just because you don't understand what an API or what it could do, please don't try to put others off wanting one.

To my mind it is the best thing that ebid could do next. It would help bring more sellers over as they could better manage their inventory.

If you have some good reasons for or against then lets hear them.
    Bykimbo gives some very good descriptions of what an API can do.
    Yes, my sentiments too Julie.
    But PLEASE will somebody just do one thng for me to help make things better,
    tell me what API stands for?! Is it another term for app'? as in (mobile) application.
    I know we use abbreviations a lot but they really drive me potty sometimes, especially when it has not been mentioned once in a whole lot of writing where it is continually brought up, or is a new abbreviation to some of us.
    Where I work when we have the monthly meetings especially with all the bigwigs sat around the table and minutes of the meeting spread around I find it unbelievable how much is abbreviations, it just gets ridiculous! We should invent a whole new language for abbreviations or maybe an APP to support it LOL!
    (What sayeth you Kim, oh wise one? ...)

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I always forget what it means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

(API) is a source code based specification intended to be used as an interface by software components to communicate with each other.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    I always forget what it means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

(API) is a source code based specification intended to be used as an interface by software components to communicate with each other.
    Hummm... Okay! It's an acronym for the code that allow computers to talk to each other without the interference by us pesky carbon based life forms. Sarah Conner! Can you tell us when SKYNET is going to become self-aware?

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

And you managed 40 years without a computer !
    Just because you don't understand what an API or what it could do, please don't try to put others off wanting one.

To my mind it is the best thing that ebid could do next. It would help bring more sellers over as they could better manage their inventory.

If you have some good reasons for or against then lets hear them.
    Bykimbo gives some very good descriptions of what an API can do.
    ‘’babe’’…that’s the ‘’good one’’…huh…’’babe’’…’’babe’’…’’babe’’….well…persona lly for me I like to have a ‘’time machine’’ just to go back in the past and ‘’relax’’ in the peace….
    API…o Yea…bring it on ‘’babe’’…...

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Salomina27 View Post
    Yes, my sentiments too Julie.
    But PLEASE will somebody just do one thng for me to help make things better,
    tell me what API stands for?! Is it another term for app'? as in (mobile) application.
    I know we use abbreviations a lot but they really drive me potty sometimes, especially when it has not been mentioned once in a whole lot of writing where it is continually brought up, or is a new abbreviation to some of us.
    Where I work when we have the monthly meetings especially with all the bigwigs sat around the table and minutes of the meeting spread around I find it unbelievable how much is abbreviations, it just gets ridiculous! We should invent a whole new language for abbreviations or maybe an APP to support it LOL!
    (What sayeth you Kim, oh wise one? ...)
    Roughly speaking, an API is the thing that makes it possible for people to develop Apps. I'm not sure how wise that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Can you tell us when SKYNET is going to become self-aware?
    August 29th, 1997

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Basically an API - Application Programing Interface allows other companies to write software or apps that can get information out of ebid.

Programs like Turbo lister or Auctiva come to mind.

It would allow a programmer to write a stock control program so that a seller could have items listed on several auction sites and it would keep track of sales etc.

The lack of an API is well accepted reason that many of the big sellers do not come over to ebid as it is too hard for them to track their stock.

Imagine if ebid had say 20 million listings!
    That should attract many more buyers.
    And fill up many empty categories

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Basically an API - Application Programing Interface allows other companies to write software or apps that can get information out of ebid.

Programs like Turbo lister or Auctiva come to mind.

It would allow a programmer to write a stock control program so that a seller could have items listed on several auction sites and it would keep track of sales etc.

The lack of an API is well accepted reason that many of the big sellers do not come over to ebid as it is too hard for them to track their stock.

Imagine if ebid had say 20 million listings!
    That should attract many more buyers.
    And fill up many empty categories
    Okay! So this API is necessary for third party developers to write applications that could be used on eBid. It would benefit me by allowing for applications to be developed that I may or may not wish to use and by increasing the number of large sellers listing large amounts of listings on the site which, in turn, would draw more buyers. Have I got that correct?

Precisely how would Gazza & Mark maintain control of the overall operation of the site if third parties were developing apps for use with the site? Would there be some sort of licensing agreements between eBid and the developers? Surely eBid would have to maintain some form of access control over the site's data and have the final say regarding application access to the site's core, wouldn't it?

Thread Information