eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Is What It Is, Don't Advertise It Is If It Isn't!

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default It Is What It Is, Don't Advertise It Is If It Isn't!

If an item is not made of silver, do not put the word "silver" in the title just because the item has a silvery finish. If the item contains "Faux Pearls" list it as a "Faux Pearl" Necklace or Bracelet, not a "Pearl" one. If the item is made of a simulated stone, do not list it with the name of the natural stone in the title. Being accurate in your listings and their titles is very important to the integrity of the site.

Frankly, if the title of a listing says "Silver Cross Necklace" and I discover upon reading the listing that it is actually made of a base metal with a silvertone finish, there is a good chance that I would not only not purchase the item, but would consider the seller as engaging in deceptive practices. Of course, if I were new to the site, I'd probably look at the other listings there with some skepticism. This I think would hurt all the sellers.

I urge all sellers of jewelry, and any other item for that matter, to be very careful in their descriptions and titles. If the item is "faux leather," a "faux pearl" or a "simulated stone" make sure it isn't titled to give the impression that it is the real thing. This goes for trying to fool the search engine into thinking it belongs in a search return for the real item as well as trying to deceive people.

I also urge everyone that finds this sort of thing being done to report the listing. Remember that such practices, if permitted to go on, reflect badly on the site and all sellers associated with it.

I also urge eBid to take these reports seriously and take appropriate action to curb the use of this deceptive practice.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: It Is What It Is, Don't Advertise It Is If It Isn't!

We should draw up an ethics of selling.

I was discussing this issue over lunch with someone who sells a herbal tonic, and the laws here in the UK make it difficult for him to advertise because all claims have to be justifiable. You cannot say the herbal tonic is good for skin rashes without evidence that would stand up in a court of law.

It made me think that I like to be objective and accurate in listings because I hate people who hype or pile on emotional pressure in their selling pitch, and even more people who deceive.

So what would a code of good ethics for selling on Ebid look like?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

ethics to me are personal and there are things I would do and things I would not do.

I believe that a fair feedback system will help to quickly weed out deceptive sellers.

The forums and the support team will also go a long way to protect the integrity of ebid and it's sellers.

This is all IMHO.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, everyone makes their own ethical decisions.

I thinks that ethics are social because any decision we make is in a context where others are making decisions, and the way we make decisions comes from what we learnt to believe is right.

If we had a code of ethics, people could look at a consensus at which others have arrived, and make their own decisions informed by that.

Sorry, don't usually step into teacher mode in this forum. I will go back and pour some wine
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Of course, the use of deceptive practices is something that is covered by law. Those practicing it can face prosecution for fraud. However, many don't bother to report such activity figuring the distances involved should they be required to appear to testify in court. So it is far more likely that someone spotting an obviously deceptive listing might merely hit the back button and leave the site, never to return.

Alas! Unless reported, support has little that they can do. That is why I urged the reporting of such listings. And while it may not seem important to leave "faux" out of a title when listing to save characters, if the leaving out of that word leads to a person being deceived than it should not be tolerated.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Silver and gold are colors and are legitimate adjectives for articles other than the metals

Calling pewter silver or medallion a dollar in the description is fraud

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/gen-hora...e-53822442.htm
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by terry5732 View Post
    Silver and gold are colors and are legitimate adjectives for articles other than the metals

Calling pewter silver or medallion a dollar in the description is fraud

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/gen-hora...e-53822442.htm
    I can't say that I'd agree with using "Silver" or "Gold" in the description of a piece of jewelry as a descriptive adjective for the color as being a legitimate use in such a case unless the word "Color" was included. "A Gold Cross and Chain" would hardly express the same thing as "A Gold Colored Cross and Chain" or "A Goldtone Cross and Chain."

Not being well versed in the terms used in the world of coins and their collecting I'm not certain of what actually constitutes a "Silver Dollar" in that context. Although I don't believe an actual coin designated by the US Government as a "Silver Dollar" is actually made up of pure silver, I would probably think that advertising one as "A Silver Dollar" would be legitimate. I would also think that advertising "A Silver Certificate" would also be legitimate in terms of the use of the word "Silver" in the title. However, I agree that advertising a medallion made of pewter as a "Silver Dollar" would seem fraudulent if it wasn't actual coinage of a country that designated it as such in their currency.

While I suppose if the title were advertising a can of spray paint the use of the words "Gold" or "Silver" would be justified, but I'd probably include the word "Color" in there also if it was my listing. However, I wouldn't think of using either word alone in the title of listing for a piece of jewelry that wasn't made of either metal.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    ethics to me are personal and there are things I would do and things I would not do.

I believe that a fair feedback system will help to quickly weed out deceptive sellers.

The forums and the support team will also go a long way to protect the integrity of ebid and it's sellers.

This is all IMHO.
    I'm not sure I'd consider it a matter of personal ethics as much as a code of ethics subscribed to by a group of business people for the good of the trade.

Yes, I agree that feedback should and probably would help to weed out such sellers. Hopefully before too many prospective buyers were driven off.

And yes, the forums and support go a long way, but it is up to every member to be vigilant. Not only in the category of Jewelry & Watches, but in the others as well. For example: Can you have a Brand New Antique?

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    For example: Can you have a Brand New Antique?
    You could have an uncirculated certified antique coin, that could be considered "new/never circulated".

I do not like seeing gold or silver in the title of coins or precious metals if they are not. I use gold toned or gold colored to describe a coin, jewelry, watch, etc that is not made of a precious metal.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree 100% with the OP & all said in post #1

As for jewellery/gemstone descriptions, there are already existing international conventions covered by CIBJO, "The World Jewellery Confederation"

They have set down rules (called blue books) for industry to follow, & IMO anyone intending to sell items in this area, should follow these rules to avoid claims of fraud.

I'm unsure if coins are covered - but wouldn't be surprised if they are included somewhere!
    If not, they should be.

Link below is to the CIBJO site.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...gcyOR_XSTckZEg

Thread Information