Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Identification Document Request

Forum Newbie
    View martinbane's Feedback (-1)
    All-About martinbane
    View martinbane's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Identification Document Request

they only want certain types of docs too. i mean utilities are included where i live and who has a land line. too crappy. i sent drivers liscence and soc sec card., bank statment and cell phone bill. i mean what else can i send lmao

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Frankly, in my opinion all ID Document requests should be made at the time of initial registration and not later on when there are sales pending.
    But that would inconvenience every new user when there is no need to. The vast majority of people are never asked for additional verification. The extra checks are only carried out if false (or perceived false) registration information is given, or high risk/value items are immediately listed with no selling track record. Those cannot be resolved at the point of registration, or before the first listing is created, so the only option would be to block all new users from the site, or all new sellers from listing items, until checks have been completed. That would likely put off the majority of people from using the site at all.

The only issue I have with eBid's procedure, is that they leave any current listings active while the seller's account is on hold awaiting validation. As soon as a hold is put in place on a user's account, any listings should be suspended also - not removed, but Bid/BuyNow blocked.
    Last edited by astral276; 29th November 2012 at 11:15 PM.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post

The only issue I have with eBid's procedure, is that they leave any current listings active while the seller's account is on hold awaiting validation. As soon as a hold is put in place on a user's account, any listings should be suspended also - not removed, but Bid/BuyNow blocked.
    Yes, similar to the current holiday setting but with appropriate wording.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    But that would inconvenience every new user when there is no need to. The vast majority of people are never asked for additional verification. The extra checks are only carried out if false (or perceived false) registration information is given, or high risk/value items are immediately listed with no selling track record. Those cannot be resolved at the point of registration, or before the first listing is created, so the only option would be to block all new users from the site, or all new sellers from listing items, until checks have been completed. That would likely put off the majority of people from using the site at all.

Are you saying that all sellers from which additional verification is requested is suspected of giving false information upon registration by eBid administration?

I can understand only a rudimentary check on someone registering as a buyer, but I cannot see where someone engaging in the business of selling should object to a reasonable verification upon registration on a site. Frankly, I consider anyone engaged in selling as a business, even those simply selling off goods that they've owned and used themselves for years. They are attempting to sell the items for some sort of income so they are engaging in business. They should have no qualms about providing proof of identity upon registration. While I'm not sure of the requirements of any other country or municipality, over here it is required that a business get their official stuff out of the way before opening their doors to customers.

I must admit that I would be reluctant to furnish copies of my home utility bills to any internet site as a form of ID verification. However, I would have no problem furnishing copies of government issued picture ID and/or my license information which is a matter of public record anyway.

With regard to the so called, individual seller, here even those holding a yard sale are required to get a permit before holding the event so I don't see where furnishing an identification at registration would be too much of an inconvenience.

Buyers, in my opinion, should not have an issue with having their email address verified upon registration. Nor should a seller, in addition, have an issue with having their method of paying any fees to the site verified before listing anything. Of course, eBid would have to do their part and complete their end of any verification process in a timely manner.

Frankly, I find the waiting for a seller to list an item of high value before completing the verification process something of a rather dubious procedure. I also find the interruption of a seller's selling efforts during any type of additional ID verification a poor business practice on the part of the site. Something akin to closing the stable door after the horses have gotten out.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Yes, similar to the current holiday setting but with appropriate wording.
    Exactly what I have suggested on numerous occasions. An admin setting though that the seller cannot remove.

Forum Lurker
    View MelmacALF's Feedback (+76)
    All-About MelmacALF
    View MelmacALF's Listings
    Forum Posts

If ebid had demanded passport/utility bill when I joined as a seller, I never would have. I will not give out that sort of ID just for selling off some unwanted items that have all been under £20 so far.

I think the only thing ebid needs to change is when the request for ID is triggered. eg at the moment it seems to be asked for when a high value/scamable item is sold. The info should actually be requested when the seller lists the item, so no buyer is forced to wait & worry about why the seller has a line through his name.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MelmacALF View Post
    If ebid had demanded passport/utility bill when I joined as a seller, I never would have. I will not give out that sort of ID just for selling off some unwanted items that have all been under £20 so far.

I think the only thing ebid needs to change is when the request for ID is triggered. eg at the moment it seems to be asked for when a high value/scamable item is sold. The info should actually be requested when the seller lists the item, so no buyer is forced to wait & worry about why the seller has a line through his name.

I tend to agree. It doesn't help the site's reputation if a potential buyer looks at an item and the seller appears to have been suspended or no longer a site member.

Mel! With regard to the "appropriate wording" mentioned by MPS16, I'm afraid that based on some of the wording used by eBid in the past I'd be a bit skeptical. Sometimes I wonder if Yoda might not be helping out in the eBid home office.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Are you saying that all sellers from which additional verification is requested is suspected of giving false information upon registration by eBid administration?
    No, which is why there was an 'or' in that sentence.

I can understand only a rudimentary check on someone registering as a buyer, but I cannot see where someone engaging in the business of selling should object to a reasonable verification upon registration on a site.
    Neither do I. eBid, presumably, carries out what they deem 'reasonable checks' at time of registration. If those checks fail then they request further validation. I see no need to put every new member through the same extended checks when, in the majority of cases, they are not required.

Equally for new sellers. The majority do not list high value/high risk items immediately on first listing on the site, thus requiring further checks. eBid must balance site accessibility with a reasonable duty of care for the site's users. I feel they have that balance about right - just that the implementation could do with a bit of work.

While it is all too common for the majority to suffer for the actions of the few, I don't see why eBid should go out of its way to make that so.

Angry Re: Identification Document Request

Ya this really sucks! I don't have any bill that go to my house because I just moved in with my fiance.
    Then to lock me out of my auctions!!!
    I may as well go back to ebay!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

You could start by emailing support@ebid.net and explaining the situation.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Thread Information