eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got to share - Shelterbox / Japan

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Just got to share - Shelterbox / Japan

I suppose if eBid wanted to make a gesture that might have attracted some media attention they could have donated the $4,000 to a worthy cause rather than to the poster of the 4 millionth listing.

I hope that is not seen as sour grapes because I didn't win it - because it is not.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I suppose if eBid wanted to make a gesture that might have attracted some media attention they could have donated the $4,000 to a worthy cause rather than to the poster of the 4 millionth listing.

I hope that is not seen as sour grapes because I didn't win it - because it is not.
    If they wanted to do something regularly, they could match whatever's raised here each YDC... but that would soon add up! Maybe one day they'd like to offer something in the YDC that's comparable to the things they provide via buddy points. Even if it was just once a year, that would be a coup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post
    http://shelterbox.org/news.php?id=612

These guys are in a league of their own!!
    No little wonder that they have been named Charity of the Year.

With my marketing / charity hat on........

Wonders how many of us would willingly add £1 a year onto our fees, for eBid to sponsor Shelter Box?

Yvonne x
    You know I would be willing Vonz but I would rather the sponsorship came from eBid themselves as I can understand the points being made in this thread and I wouldn't want anyone to have animosity with a link to a charity. For eBid to sponsor a charity like Shelterbox is a great idea in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    If they wanted to do something regularly, they could match whatever's raised here each YDC... but that would soon add up! Maybe one day they'd like to offer something in the YDC that's comparable to the things they provide via buddy points. Even if it was just once a year, that would be a coup.
    I agree a little more help with the YDC would be much appreciated by all.
    I've always felt that charging gallery fees on the YDC auctions (ahem, how shall I put it cough, cough) ..... is a little inappropriate considering the amount of publicity it generates for the site and that sellers willingly dip into their own pockets to fund it all.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

That sounds like a great idea - I'd be thrilled to see another telescope, (hint, hint)...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I've always felt that charging gallery fees on the YDC auctions (ahem, how shall I put it cough, cough) ..... is a little inappropriate considering the amount of publicity it generates for the site and that sellers willingly dip into their own pockets to fund it all.
    I have no issues with that. eBid are running a business and make no claim to be doing anything for charity. It is the members that tag eBid's name to the YDC. As far as I am aware the only concession that eBid makes to the YDC is the provision of a specific category and allowing the extra plug thread. They don't pretend to do any more than that.

If eBid should wish to do something for a charity then fine, but I don't think it is our place to say they should be doing something. Just as I wouldn't tell you or anyone else that they should donate to charity. Giving is a personal thing and down to the conscience of the individual or organisation.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    You know I would be willing Vonz but I would rather the sponsorship came from eBid themselves as I can understand the points being made in this thread and I wouldn't want anyone to have animosity with a link to a charity. For eBid to sponsor a charity like Shelterbox is a great idea in my view.

Oh, um... no, I don't expect them to stop charging for regular features - it's a business site, and nobody makes us take part. I think they'd have to tread carefully about appearing to endorse the YDC; it's quite a precedent to set. But as I say if the *did* want to do something, I posted a couple of ideas. That's not the same as saying I think the should, or wish they would; just ideas.

oh, um... No, i don't expect them to stop charging for regular features - it's a business site, and nobody makes us take part. I think they'd have to tread carefully about appearing to endorse the ydc; it's quite a precedent to set. But as i say if the *did* want to do something, i posted a couple of ideas. That's not the same as saying i think the should, or wish they would; just ideas.
    Sorry Kim I should have stated that the above was just my own personal opinion. I just quoted you because you had stated some good ideas that ebid might like to possibly *consider* in the future.

My own personal opinion is based on that the site has now grown enormously and it isn't unusual for large business organisations to support charities these days. I was in no way stating that they should or shouldn't do anything as Astral suggests.

Satellite image of the port of Sendai where are team will arrive tomorrow. The image shows shipping containers carried inland by the tsunami. Image courtesy of DigitalGlobe

Japan’s Prime Minister has described the ongoing catastrophe facing his country as the worst crisis since World War II.

Speaking earlier today, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said: ‘This earthquake and tsunami and also the situation concerning the nuclear power stations are perhaps the hardest hardship that we have experienced after World War Two.’

His statement comes amid fears that up to 10,000 people are missing in the Miyagi prefecture which bore the brunt of Friday’s tsunami, triggered by the 8.9 magnitude earthquake. The confirmed death toll stands at 1,300 people while a further 300,000 have been evacuated from their homes.

A ShelterBox Response Team (SRT), made up of team members from the UK, Australia, France and the USA, were one of the first international teams on the ground after the earthquake. Mark Pearson (UK) and Lasse Petersen (AU) are currently travelling to the worst affected areas and expect to be in Sendai tomorrow.

‘There are fuel and food shortages with lines two miles long for people to get fuel,’ said Mark Pearson. ‘It’s snowing where we are and these are no conditions for people to be in without safe and secure shelter.

‘The ongoing nuclear incidents are compounding the effects of the earthquake and tsunami. Families being evacuated from the exclusion zones are going to have to be sheltered somewhere. We’ll have a much clearer picture of the situation tomorrow when we reach the affected areas in the north.’

The team continues to operate as safely as possible and are receiving regular updates on the situation at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Japan’s Tokyo Electric Power Company (tepco) are now pumping sea water into three reactors at the power station in a bid to cool them and prevent meltdown. The latest reports say 190 people have been exposed to radiation so far.

‘The safety of our team is of paramount importance,’ said ShelterBox Head of Operations, John Leach. ‘They are all hugely experienced individuals who have undergone extensive training; they are there to help not to add to the burden the country is already facing.’

ShelterBox aid is ready to be moved in to the country once permission to do so has been received by the Japanese government.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I take a break from my usual charities occasionally for something like Shelterbox but usually like to raise funds for local causes.

I own the site Hampshire Fundraising and have a job and a half getting people to tell me about THEIR fundraising.

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

I hadn't heard of them until I saw this thread, thank you for sharing it Vonz.
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

Thread Information