Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Contentious question about YDC

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    [Quote by Bykimbo]I'm expecting this to make the sparks fly... but please bear in mind it's a *question*, okay? [UnQuote]

Thanks for starting this thread Kim........enjoyed reviewing alot of thought provoking responses.

I enjoy the fun aspects of YDC, but would definitely like to see expansion to a more general audience. It would be nice if eBid showed more tangible support. This would definitely add credibility to YDC efforts and attract a wider & more general audience. I also think it could pose some undesirable risks for eBid because they do not exert the needed control over YDC activities to protect their corporate interests.

I noticed the comment that YDC is not a clique. I have to disagree. As a USA participant, it has from time to time come to my attention that USA participants sometimes feel left out of the YDC "inner circle". Be this perceived only or a reality is really immaterial.

For instance, right now there are still 27 USA YDC auctions running. That pimp thread seems as good as totally finished. I do know that there is steady and reliable support for the USA participants by some YDCers from across the pond. But honestly, I believe there is less USA involvement in general because of "the perception".

I hope I don't experience too many sparks; it's just an opinion for consideration.
    So the clique is all the UK? lol

The problem for me is that every time I've seen an item that I want in the US the postage has stopped me placing a bid. I know the cost of postage is not the sellers fault but it still stops me bidding, especially on a charity auction as I'd rather see that money go to the charity (that's if I can afford it in the first place). It's a shame because there have been some good stuff listed in the US.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post

The problem for me is that every time I've seen an item that I want in the US the postage has stopped me placing a bid. I know the cost of postage is not the sellers fault but it still stops me bidding, especially on a charity auction as I'd rather see that money go to the charity (that's if I can afford it in the first place). It's a shame because there have been some good stuff listed in the US.
    Only the eBid YDCer UKers
    Same here about the postage thing........I watch for items I can afford with free or low s/h when I shop across the pond.

Only the eBid YDCer UKers
    Same here about the postage thing........I watch for items I can afford with free or low s/h when I shop across the pond.
    Postage chargers are a pain in the butt.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Gulp! I may have to eat my words.......looks like all my YDC buyers & sellers so far are UK based.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post

The postage to send to the US is a lot higher than the shipping to here from the US in my experience.

Paying postage for items I have bought from people in the US has never been a problem.

I can see it being a problem if similar goods can't be bought here. I tend to buy from people in the US when I can't easily buy the same item in the UK...mainly US published books that are very expensive to buy here.
    Last edited by moonwitch; 3rd April 2010 at 11:20 PM.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, I won 2 auctions that offered free shipping; sold 1 item that offered free shipping; and have 2 low weight/low cost shippng auctions running.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Actually, I won 2 auctions that offered free shipping; sold 1 item that offered free shipping; and have 2 low weight/low cost shippng auctions running.
    When I referred to shipping...I meant when sellers added that to their prices.

Many of the YDC auctions have shipping included but I am guessing this isn't the norm for regular UK listings when being offered to people in the US.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

[Quote by Moonwitch] The postage to send to the US is a lot higher than the shipping to here from the US in my experience. [UnQuote]

Depends on item. Shipping coins, precious metals from USA to over seas (varies by country) can be quite costly if you follow the rules. Some seem to get around it, with trust it won't be picked up. Too much stress for me; not worth it.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

[Quote by Moonwitch] The postage to send to the US is a lot higher than the shipping to here from the US in my experience. [UnQuote]

Depends on item. Shipping coins, precious metals from USA to over seas can be quite costly if you follow the rules. Some seem to get around it, with trust it won't be picked up. Too much stress for me; not worth it.
    Oh right....I was thinking of standard stuff like the books I regularly buy.

I have never needed to send anything overseas that needed special rules...so that would be way out of my experience.

I have never forgotten the conversation I had with one American a few years ago on another auction site who told me she got round the rules by sending all her parcels to her customers marked as 'sample' to avoid extra fees.

Needless to say...I never bought anything from that seller

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    When I referred to shipping...I meant when sellers added that to their prices.

Many of the YDC auctions have shipping included but I am guessing this isn't the norm for regular UK listings when being offered to people in the US.
    I'm sure you are right. I sometimes wonder how people can afford to do this regularly even if it is for charity. When I offer free shipping I look at it as part of donating, without claiming it as such in the YDC tally.

Thread Information