Forum Lurker
    View bitsofstuff's Feedback (+5)
    All-About bitsofstuff
    View bitsofstuff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Only if you agree with me
    What do you want me to mention??? Shhh

The main idea is to raise money for charity - a different one chosen every month -for example in the UK there has been the RNLI, H4H, and October is Breast Cancer Care month. The USA have their chosen charities running too.
    Unfortunately disasters happen - recently funds have been raised for Haiti and Shelterbox.

People mainly donate for the chosen charity or chose one of their own for the week. It is separate from and additional to other charity fund-raising some members want to do.

While making it fun to join in with jokes about 'nicking ticks' (stealing someone's bid) and generally have a good laugh, the YDC is about raising money - and hoping to raise as much as possible - and from as many people as possible - many guests read this Thread but not many are joining in. I hope we are not making them feel excluded in some way - please join in - you can bid in the normal way .
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    We could always do a poll.

What evidence do we have that people dropping out is down to them not liking the charity forum? Or not seeing it's happening? Is there a middle-way where we "advertise" it in the KT but keep all the bulk of the discussion, help and advice in the charity forum? What do folks think?
    To be honest the move from the KT annoyed me a little because of the way it was done, it all seemed a little underhanded to me. Before then any changes to anything YDC related had always been done through the person running the YDC and by voting on the change. The move just seemed to happen without much discussion, voting, or anything.

It's got nothing to do with folk not liking the charity forum, it's just that a lot of folk don't bother with the charity forum that's all.

In my opinion the best option would have been to keep the YDC in the KT but to limit it to just two hreads. One thread for the YDC announcement, then once the listing had started thatthread should have been locked and the second thread, for YDC pimping, should have been started. All things YDC should have been kept to those two threads. IMO it would help the YDC if it was moved back to the KT as more people would see it and folk wouldn't forget about it as I often do.

Take a look at the pimping thread in here now, how many folk have posted to it?, seven or eight?, when it was on the KT nearly everyone posted on it and joined in the fun. It's too out of the way here.

I think the move from the KT has severely damaged the YDC.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yorkie I think the problem started when we had the "Pink Friday" auctions. That is when the YDC got moved.
    That was only for 5 weekends in October though just as a one off.
    As management didn't want to get behind that I think it may have been a sort of punishment moving YDC to charity.

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

To the best of my knowledge there was nothing secret or hidden about the discussion of moving the YDC and all other charity threads into its own forum. I think the speed with which ebid responded was just a reflection of how the idea chimed with their own view. I imagine they see the fact that ebid has a dedicated charity forum as a positive thing - I certainly do. If there were any mystery goings on, they were so well hidden even those of us who joined in the discussion at the time, and who were behind the proposal, didn't know anything about it! Nothing underhand there, just a surprising turn of speed which maybe caught a few of us out.

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy49er View Post
    Yorkie I think the problem started when we had the "Pink Friday" auctions. That is when the YDC got moved.
    That was only for 5 weekends in October though just as a one off.
    As management didn't want to get behind that I think it may have been a sort of punishment moving YDC to charity.
    I think the problem was that several people kept starting their own YDC related threads and often the KT became swamped with YDC threads. I and others mentioned it at the time but were ignored and the threads kept coming. I don't know exactly what happened but I think some regulars complained to support about the number of threads rather than contact the person running the YDC and asking them to ask folk not to start threads about the YDC and to stick to the official threads.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

We could always do a poll.

What evidence do we have that people dropping out is down to them not liking the charity forum? Or not seeing it's happening? Is there a middle-way where we "advertise" it in the KT but keep all the bulk of the discussion, help and advice in the charity forum? What do folks think?
    I'm basing what I said on my experience of when I first joined in the YDC Kim.

When I arrived on the forums I saw the posts for the YDC but for the first couple of months didn't take much notice. However when I had settled in and saw this strange thing being mentioned again and again on the KT I thought I had better find out what it was about ! (Not that I'm nosey or anything ! )

Now unless I was particularly involved with a certain charity I don't think at the time that I would have bothered to visit a charity forum had it existed. Maybe that's just me but I wonder how many others don't visit the charity forum and how many others have never even heard of the YDC yet ?

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

How wonderful it would be if EVERY ebid member put up just just one item for the YDC. Wouldn't have to be expensive just an item you had lying in a drawer.

That would be a serious amount of charity money.

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I'm basing what I said on my experience of when I first joined in the YDC Kim.

When I arrived on the forums I saw the posts for the YDC but for the first couple of months didn't take much notice. However when I had settled in and saw this strange thing being mentioned again and again on the KT I thought I had better find out what it was about ! (Not that I'm nosey or anything ! )

Now unless I was particularly involved with a certain charity I don't think at the time that I would have bothered to visit a charity forum had it existed. Maybe that's just me but I wonder how many others don't visit the charity forum and how many others have never even heard of the YDC yet ?
    Thanks, interesting... I'm going to stew on that a bit. What you say is though-provoking, thanks.

Nothing underhand there, just a surprising turn of speed which maybe caught a few of us out.
    lol, it certainly caught me out.

I think the fact that it did catch so many folk out just goes to prove that it was handled wrongly. Changes to the YDC have always been done in a certain way, it's always been transparent so folk know it is all above board. Being transparent is very important for anything to do with fund raising as people are suspicious these days.

The move just seemed very cloak and dagger to me and made me wonder if there wasn't something else behind the reason for the move. I doubt that there was anything else behind it, but that's how it made me feel at the time.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Thread Information