My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Contentious question about YDC

I don't think the cheap and cheerful fun items should be dropped because they give a lot of scope for fun at no risk to the seller losing out, but I do think that more higher end items (keeping within the rules of course) listed would be a good idea too.

I don't know if it's just me?, but I think over the months less folk appear to be taking part in the YDC. I know the number of items listed are quite high (apart from this month) but that's because the 5 item limit was removed so now those taking part are listing a lot more items than they used to, but the actual number of people taking part seems to have dropped. It's worrying because I would have expected the number of people taking part to increase as the site's membership increased, plus we also now have our friends overseas taking part too so it is even more worrying.

I know folk will moan when I mention this, but... I reckon the move from the KT to here has damaged the YDC. Although I understand why folk wanted it moved I think there was a better solution to the problem, which I mentioned at the time. Even I forget that the YDC is running sometimes now, usually it's a Facebook post that reminds me about it. The YDC should have been left on the KT, it should be moved back there now in my opinion.
    Last edited by yorkiesauctions; 3rd April 2010 at 09:30 AM.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post
    I know folk will moan when I mention this, but... I reckon the move from the KT to here has damaged the YDC. Although I understand why folk wanted it moved I think there was a better solution to the problem, which I mentioned at the time. Even I forget that the YDC is running sometimes now, usually it's a Facebook post that reminds me about it. The YDC should have been left on the KT, it should be moved back there now in my opinion.
    I'm not moaning, but I do disagree. I think the YDC being in the KT annoyed more people than it encouraged. The swamping of the KT with charity stuff seemed to me to be getting up people's noses. Of course, there's nothing to stop you posting to the KT to give people a heads-up now and again if you wish, as far as I can see. I don't think people dropping out of the YDC is down to invisibility, I think it's much more complex than that. But as you say, it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post
    I don't think the cheap and cheerful fun items should be dropped because they give a lot of scope for fun at no risk to the seller losing out, but I do think that more higher end items (keeping within the rules of course) listed would be a good idea too.

I don't know if it's just me?, but I think over the months less folk appear to be taking part in the YDC. I know the number of items listed are quite high (apart from this month) but that's because the 5 item limit was removed so now those taking part are listing a lot more items than they used to, but the actual number of people taking part seems to have dropped. It's worrying because I would have expected the number of people taking part to increase as the site's membership increased, plus we also now have our friends overseas taking part too so it is even more worrying.

I'm not moaning Yorkie I totally agree !

I said at the time that the move from the KT would damage the YDC and I think it has. A lot of the regulars that used to list have disappeared, others forget and there is no fresh blood coming in. I would like to see it moved back too.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I'm not moaning Yorkie I totally agree !

I said at the time that the move from the KT would damage the YDC and I think it has. A lot of the regulars that used to list have disappeared, others forget and there is no fresh blood coming in. I would like to see it moved back too.
    We could always do a poll.

What evidence do we have that people dropping out is down to them not liking the charity forum? Or not seeing it's happening? Is there a middle-way where we "advertise" it in the KT but keep all the bulk of the discussion, help and advice in the charity forum? What do folks think?

Forum Lurker
    View bitsofstuff's Feedback (+5)
    All-About bitsofstuff
    View bitsofstuff's Listings
    Forum Posts

What is KT???

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    We could always do a poll.

What evidence do we have that people dropping out is down to them not liking the charity forum? Or not seeing it's happening? Is there a middle-way where we "advertise" it in the KT but keep all the bulk of the discussion, help and advice in the charity forum? What do folks think?

Maybe an announcement on The Kitchen Table...with a link to the discussions....hopefully the announcement will get bumped now and again and people won't mind if it is just the one thread

Forum Lurker
    All-About bitsofstuff
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bitsofstuff View Post
    What is KT???
    Got it!

Do you want an opinion from a newbie?

Got it!

of course - the discussions are open to all --
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Lurker
    All-About bitsofstuff
    Forum Posts

Well i think the fact that you have the charity bit is excellent and i like the YDC BUT as a new person, it did baffle me and i didn't quite grasp what it was all about - not everyone wants to be botherd reading information so unless you know what it is about, i think that it could be seen quite negatively by those who don't understand its origins.

I wouldn't say that it would make anyone not buy or not stay or even not register on Ebid - there are other more pressing things that affect that and no matter how much work you people put into Ebid - and it is such a fantastic community and the majority a fantastic place to sell, there are bits and bobs that are beyond the placement of auctions that are the issue.

So, you could leave YDC where it is and it should have no negative effect but may be frowned at which isn't a negative but isn't a positive either, however, if it is easy to move it back or elsewhere and trial it again then might be a plan.

If it is a fun in house place then maybe best kept away from the main public tho.

Just an opinion.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Got it!

Only if you agree with me

Thread Information