Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autograph Book Valuation?

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would probably behoove you to get as much information as possible about each autograph from your mother to establish provenance. Such as any little particulars about how she actually obtained the signature.

It might also be in your best interest to have the signatures authenticated. There are companies that specialize in authenticating signatures that are recognized as experts in such things. Their authentication can add much to the value when brought to auction.

Autographs are very highly prized by collectors.

View bluejypsy's Feedback (+618)
    All-About bluejypsy
    View bluejypsy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you. I will do that when I can find them. I went up looking in the loft but was unable to find them this afternoon. I will have another go as soon as I can straighten my back again lol.

Special items for that special little person in your life.

Click here to visit Blue's Homemade Goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    It would probably behoove you to get as much information as possible about each autograph from your mother to establish provenance. Such as any little particulars about how she actually obtained the signature.

It might also be in your best interest to have the signatures authenticated. There are companies that specialize in authenticating signatures that are recognized as experts in such things. Their authentication can add much to the value when brought to auction.

Autographs are very highly prized by collectors.
    Excellent advice, and as an auctioneer you know all of the details that we don't!

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Why would you need to label the pages? Just keep a separate list, page 1: bert, page 2: fred & joe etc.
    Excellent idea, that list could go with the book to auction too. Use the Mom help and when do a search and add a bit about person too,. Would answer any questions viewers of book have, i.e. Joe Smith, Actor 1920 to 1980, etc. OP might find some real sleepers in there.

All-About bluejypsy
    Forum Posts

Still unable to locate the books but have managed to obtain a list from Mom of the peeps she remembers are in it, so here goes
    John Mills & Wife Mary Hayley Bell
    Joan Greenwood
    Winifred Atwell
    Bernard Braden
    Edmund Hockridge
    Richard Attenbourgh (both on photograph & in a book)
    Googie Withers
    Max Bygraves
    Joyce Grenfield
    Donald Peers
    Charles Hawtry
    Dennis Price
    Tony Hancock
    Bill Owen
    Richard Burton
    Norman Wisdom (Photo)
    Gordon Jackson.
    Thank you to all for their advice I will take it on board. I just wanted to share with you the info I have obtained.

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful book, even I, from US, recognize many of the names.

Hate to say it (maybe our resident auctioneer can comment) but when you get everything together, you might have to take it to a big auction house that specializes in autographs to get anywhere near its price. I doubt even feebay could do it justice. You might be talking thousands and thousands of dollars.

HI

Sounds a nice collection, i'm an autograph dealer but only in modern items.

The Norman Wisdom signed photo will be worth around £30 (if it's not personalised). Norman no longer signs so it will only increase in value.

All-About bluejypsy
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Oh, that sounds like a wonderful book, even I, from US, recognize many of the names.

Hate to say it (maybe our resident auctioneer can comment) but when you get everything together, you might have to take it to a big auction house that specializes in autographs to get anywhere near its price. I doubt even feebay could do it justice. You might be talking thousands and thousands of dollars.
    Really Delta? humm wondering where the nearest Auction house is now lol. I know where it is just too cold to go up there for too long looking. There are 2 books. I must find them while Mom is able to tell me who is in them, you know what people are like when they sign in a hurry it is not always easy to decipher. I will let you have a full list once I have the books back downstairs. Not sure about Norman, is it worth less if it is signed to the recipient?

All-About bluejypsy
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grannyhouse View Post
    HI

Sounds a nice collection, i'm an autograph dealer but only in modern items.

The Norman Wisdom signed photo will be worth around £30 (if it's not personalised). Norman no longer signs so it will only increase in value.
    Not sure about Norman, is it worth less if it is signed to the recipient?
    Sorry Granny that was ment for you?

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Looks like an impressive list. Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to offer any opinion as to value. The best I can do is recommend that you research the signatures by consulting museums, galleries, auction houses and perhaps theatrical societies.

I might also suggest that you photograph your mom or even video record her with the autograph books explaining the details of when and how she collected them.

Good luck with your research.

Dennis

Thread Information