Forum Newbie
    Penperlleni, Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
    View newt130n's Feedback (-1)
    All-About newt130n
    View newt130n's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question MS Office or MS Works

Hi,
    Has anyone used both of these office suites and if so, how do they compare, please?
    Thank you for reading. My MS Office Pro 2000 is faulty after many years of good service and I need to upgrade to 2003 or 2007 but the price is prohibitive, so considering Works instead.

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel19 View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone used both of these office suites and if so, how do they compare, please?
    Thank you for reading. My MS Office Pro 2000 is faulty after many years of good service and I need to upgrade to 2003 or 2007 but the price is prohibitive, so considering Works instead.
    I had Works on my last computer and it was ok for occasional use but often I was unable to open Word documents or other people could not open my stuff. Kind of a hassle to take a disk into printer and have them unable to extract your stuff. When it was unable to open something, it tried to sell me Word 2007 so I could open it! Spreadsheet was sub par, and few other things were included that I never used. Word processing had fewer functions, definitely you were missing some of the things we got used to on Word, no symbols, less choices in fonts etc. Definitely an economy version of Word.

On this new computer I bought MS Office Home Word 2007 I think it is called. Ran around $165 or so and is very good. Includes spreadsheet, etc. I was a little surprised of the changes MSN made to Word. Seem silly to me. The look is completely different. There is a "ribbon" on top instead of a toolbar, with lots of silly dropdowns. Names of the functions are totally out of left field, so there is a learning curve to find how to turn on bold or cut and paste. All come off of drop downs, which to me is a time waster but you can adjust and put some buttons on top, etc. Microsoft, must think we need this sort of stuff. But documents are compatible and the system is nice.

You could consider Open Office that's free and compatible with Mickysoft it's an open source software. I'm still running Office 97 but would probably get this in preference to spending megabucks if my old version stopped working. Have
    you tried removing it and re-installing?

http://why.openoffice.org/
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

I agree with Ken - use OpenOffice.

I had Microsoft Office 98 for many years and liked it so when it came time to upgrade, I downloaded the free trial version of 2007. It was incredibly slow to use, and crashed several times a week.
    I don't know anyone who likes Works, so I searched for an alternative and found OpenOffice. It's free to download so I tried that out and really like it. It's faster than Micro, very similar command functions (I use mainly the documents and spreadsheets) and hardly ever crashes. And, best of all, it's completely FREE!

Oh, and you can save all your documents/spreadsheets in Word/Excel format.
    Last edited by TreasuredBargains; 1st October 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: omission

Check out our bargain craft supplies, including embroidery and cross-stitch

Parkgate Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View MHTTrading's Feedback (+3556)
    All-About MHTTrading
    View MHTTrading's Listings
    Forum Posts

Still Using Microsoft Office 97 Pro, yes I'm a dinasaur but hey it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TreasuredBargains View Post
    I agree with Ken - use OpenOffice.

I had Microsoft Office 98 for many years and liked it so when it came time to upgrade, I downloaded the free trial version of 2007. It was incredibly slow to use, and crashed several times a week.
    I don't know anyone who likes Works, so I searched for an alternative and found OpenOffice. It's free to download so I tried that out and really like it. It's faster than Micro, very similar command functions (I use mainly the documents and spreadsheets) and hardly ever crashes. And, best of all, it's completely FREE!

Oh, and you can save all your documents/spreadsheets in Word/Excel format.

Good alternative. Free is good as long as the documents are compatible with most other systems. I got tired of Works documents not opening most of the time. While MSN 2007 is the industry standard, they made it way too complicated for what it does. Does exactly what 1998 does but by putting features under stupid titles like "references" and "developer".

Go for free!

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

1)Must you be online while using Open Office?

2)Are your documents stored on a remote server rather than your own computer?

3)Can you run both Open Office and Microsoft Office at the same time?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    While MSN 2007 is the industry standard
    MS create many 'industry standards'. The only problem is that they then ignore them.

I use MS Office XP because I am used to Outlook and FrontPage - which are the applications I use it for most. There may be better out there but it would involve an unnecessary learning curve and maybe expense.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAda View Post

You download OpenOffice from http://www.openoffice.org/product/product.html install, and use off line. Everything is stored on your PC aka M/soft Office.

Don't know about no.3, but would imagine it could crash your PC

Was reading yesterday that many offices are dumping Office and using OpenOffice as it's more stable and not prone to expensive updates/glitches, etc.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAda View Post

I've used both at the same time with no problem, but I've never tried editing a document in them both at once, I'm guessing that would cause a problem.

Open office has its own native document formats, as well as the MS ones, plus it can save as PDF, I know the older versions of MS Office couldn't do that
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information