View Poll Results: Best Offer option. Yes or No

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it would be a "good" thing.

71 62.83%
  • No

42 37.17%
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738

Thread: How about a "Best-Offer" or a "Haggle" option?

Forum Lurker
    Swansea, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Sciworks's Feedback (+124)
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

JaBek1 - the laws are slightly different for auctions in the real world, a phone bidder in that situation may have a proxy examine the goods, if there is a problem it will be between the proxy and the buyer, not the auction house.

We have new online selling laws, those with businesses on Greedbay or eBid have to abide by them as if they were selling on an online shop. It makes no difference whether the item was bid for of bought outright.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    As I understand it, the preview only has to be made possible, there is no insistence that one must actually view. You don't have to have an attendance card stamped.
    In that case it is not possible to sell on the UK eBid site at auction. This makes bidding illogical on that site. In essence, all UK listings should be fixed price. This would require a separation between US & UK listings to comply with the different countries laws.

How does the UK definition relate with the other EU member country laws?

I would think that to get some sort of negotiated selling system in place should be a high priority for the guys. Since the laws covering bidding at auctions wouldn't apply in the UK or anywhere that the law doesn't recognize online auctions as auctions.

Perhaps Gazza can get us a legal opinion from the sites attorneys regarding the different legal requirements.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

No - bidding is allowed but it is treated the same a normal online buying by the law.

It is very simple, online business sellers are treated the same under the law, how the buyer gets to the final price is irrelevant,.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awgydawg1313 View Post
    No - bidding is allowed but it is treated the same a normal online buying by the law.

It is very simple, online business sellers are treated the same under the law, how the buyer gets to the final price is irrelevant,.
    Not quite sure I understand the irrelevance. Basically in an auction style of selling the final price is determined by competitive bid. In a negotiated style (haggling) the selling price is arrived at by negotiation. Of course, in regular retail sales the price is set by the retail seller.

I must consider it an important issue since I am bound by law to conduct auctions within the guidelines of my states statutes governing auctions. It might be wise if eBid places wording on the US & UK sites making users aware of the different legalities that apply.

The problem I see is that someone registered in the UK might not be aware that they are actually participating in an auction when they are viewing a US listing. And, in the reverse, a US based member might needs to be aware of the difference when looking at a listing posted in the UK.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Most of this stuff remains untested in the courts even for domestic sales, let alone internationally. Of course, if it was a major problem it *would* have reached the courts many times and we'd know how it had turned out.

I can't lose sleep over a situation where just behaving sensibly and treating people decently produces a reasonable outcome without having to sue the backside off somebody first.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

It has been tested in Germany for eBay - and as we are now fully in the Federal State of Europe and eBay is throughout Europe, it will apply to us too.

I suggest you get in touch with Trading Standards if in doubt, I already have.

I don't understand the problem. As a UK seller, I'm perfectly happy to have people visit to view my goods if they wish to do so.

Indeed, if only eBid had distance-related searches, no doubt this would become attractive for bidders. I have many searches running on feebay qualified by distance. If I'm looking for an item weighing half a hundredweight, I'd much rather collect it locally than have to pay a courier.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information