eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what book was your fav as a child & do you still have it?

AA Milne, Lewis Carroll, and a somewhat dog-eared Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia 1910 edition. It came as a shock to learn later there were extra planets in the solar system that were unknown in 1910!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Being German, the titles and authors of books I grew up with wouldn't mean much to most of you. But here goes: my absolute fav. is:Mein Urgroßvater und ich by James Krüss followed by Winnetou by Karl May. Enid Blyton was also popular. I discovered Jennings when I was in my 30s and still like reading those; I shed many (laughter) tears

I didn't really have that much time for reading as a child as they was always things on the farm that Dad needed help with, or chores to be done. But, when I did have time to read, I used to enjoy reading ghost stories and horror stories.

Other books I used to enjoy reading from time to time and still have them to glance at periodically as they crop up in conversation is a Nonsense Poetry Book, and (now Meebo may know this book) The English Strewlpeter (sp??)

Now the main books I read are all factual historical books. The only fiction that I read is something that would involve a fictional character, set on his / her adventure, with the surrounding adventure based on fact - a typical of this is Sharp.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by e_nviable View Post
    Jane Eyre was my favourite though I no longer have a copy

Just the other night a colleague at work mentioned that her son's teacher had set the class to read 'Jane Eyre' by the following Monday (he told her on the preceding Wednesday !) The pupils had been told that if they couldn't get a copy of the book then they could watch it on a dvd so she went out and bought the dvd

There's no way that watching this on dvd could replace the drama and excitement conjured up by one's own imagination

e

Ah!!! Jane Eyre ...I had forgotten that. I must have read and reread that as a child. You are right about the DVD...not the same at all.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes I remember Struwwelpeter. When I bought my children the english version, my husband banned it!

Ha! You would have been lucky if I read a book for a book report in school! I am serious! I did not really start to read much in the way of books till Stephen King caught my attention. And my fave of those are Exorcist.

HC

The first book i ever read by myself was THE WIZARD OF OZ i was three at the time.I still love that story.My sister used to point at words as she read them to me so learnt to read as a whole word not as letters.Thats why my spelling is so bad.I got into trouble my first day at school by saying i could read and i had to stand in the corner.I kept insisting i could when asked so in the end the teacher shoved an adult book in my hand and said "if you are so clever read THAT to the class".Should have seen her face when i did.

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    Yes I remember Struwwelpeter. When I bought my children the english version, my husband banned it!

.. I've still got the copy I had from when I was little - the pictures in it are the best I think.

To be honest, I think as its a book of moral and advisory tales, a lot of youngsters could benefit from reading it - especially little 'suck a thumbs', and Fidgety Phillips.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Spyder, I finally read the Wizard of Oz 4 years ago ( in my 60s). It was better than the classic film.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

" Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "
    Ben Franklin

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...-and-Militaria

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevil-COMICS

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...CTCs-and-Games

Its a great book

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Thread Information