Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking password

Default Hacking password

In early hours of this morning, I happened to check my Security Event Log and saw that there had been 34 attempts to hack/change my password over a 12-minute period!
    Panicking, I did some checking, and found that a reference was made in the event log to 'Incredimail' - a program I had tried but had uninstalled weeks earlier.
    Further checking, I found my Firewall had 3 exceptions listed, all for Incredimail - and yet I had NOT added those exceptions myself! So I removed them.
    I concluded that the uninstall of Incredimail had not removed the exceptions which that program must have inserted originally.
    I have now set my Firewall to No Exceptions - lesson learnt.

Anyone else had similar problem?

Hello. I don't use them and by the sound of it I never will. Checked my security log and no attempts have been made recently anyway. All one can do is try and keep the walls up as good as possible. I'm sure there is nothing that is 100% safe if a professional hacker attacks you. My next computer will have a different OS. I don't like the fact that windows have so many integrated programs. Makes more holes or avenues that are acceptable to attacks I feel.

Dont know if this is good or bad, but in the last month this is what mine has blocked.

Name:  threats.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  23.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Dont know if this is good or bad, but in the last month this is what mine has blocked.

Name:  threats.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  23.0 KB
    Look like they'e out to get you too Sarah, in one way or another!

I have now beefed up my security, adding a personal integrated firewall to my antivirus program. Did an in-depth scan too on my whole system (or should I say I'm still doing it - taken nearly 4 hours now, and don't know how much longer). At least I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing there's nothing lurking in the bowels of my computer! . Can't be too prudent when it comes to malware etc. (and no, I don't have paranoia! - yet).

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello , I run 4 progs;;; and one takes over 4 hours to check the whole thing ...
    better to be safe than sorry.....but then you can go oveer the top ???
    best of luck....keep checking.........papa.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckbid View Post
    ... My next computer will have a different OS...
    Your next computer? What's stopping you from having a different OS on this one?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thats what I like about my linux. I dont have to spend hundreds of dollars a year on antivirus software and subscriptions... Master the use of iptables, shut down all inbound ports that you never use, and you're in good shape

If the hacker cant FIND you, they can't hack you.
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Sorry, both of you are wrong. Unless you never open email attachments and never visit web sites... oh, you're looking at a web site, aren't you!

About 1 in 1000 seemingly quite benign web sites have been hacked and have malware that exploits weaknesses in browsers. You can be behind as many firewalls as you like, but if your browser executes code it downloads then you're vulnerable. Don't be complacent.

However, Idealproductsales is right -- Linux is a heck of a lot safer. And some versions (distros, as they're often called) come with all listening ports turned off, so you don't even need to learn about that iptab-geekspeak he mentions, it's set right to start with. Ubuntu desktop is one such, and quite a good one for people already used to Windows. It's not the same as Windows, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of.

And if you have a problem, there's sure to be a local Linux group with people who'll be happy to help.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Default Ubuntu

You can buy Ubuntu from me :-)

Check out item 1224585806-881-0

on eBid for a very reasonable £1.98 inc P&P

you can try this OS out without installing it to your harddrive
    by running it directly from your DVD/CD-ROM drive,
    this way you can see what it's like before committing,
    for less than a pint it's well worth trying it out to see if you like it,
    I've been using Linux Mint (a different Linux flavour but based on Ubuntu)
    for 8 months solely now and am glad of getting rid of Micro$oft :-)

I thought Ubuntu was free.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

"Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing."

New & Used Motorcycle & Scooter Spares & Accessories

Repatoo Feedback Record
    www.repatoo.com/user/bikebitsnbobs

Thread Information