My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Repros in Antiques Category!

Was in jewelry last night and the antique/vintage categories are loaded with new stuff in that style. So it happens all over the board.

Sure wish that there was a default of something that would not allow a seller to list a new item in any antique/vintage category? Maybe a pop up if they try to select "new" that tells them "new items can not be listed here"? Maybe it would put an end to this practice that is irritating.

Forum Newbie
    All-About DutchDelftware
    View DutchDelftware's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Was in jewelry last night and the antique/vintage categories are loaded with new stuff in that style. So it happens all over the board.

Sure wish that there was a default of something that would not allow a seller to list a new item in any antique/vintage category? Maybe a pop up if they try to select "new" that tells them "new items can not be listed here"? Maybe it would put an end to this practice that is irritating.
    The only way is to warn a couple of times and af they keep doing it, kick them out. I am quit willing to list a couple of hundred 18/19th century Delft stuff on condition the list is clean. Now it is absolutely useless a customer looks ones, twice and he will never look again. The big problem is new and reproductions and not a bit of a mix between antiques en vintage.

True. Antiques/vintage and discussion if something is really old if from 1980s etc is not issue. Putting new stuff in antiques/vintage is.

I would never let anyone else's listings affect what I list. You have hundreds of genuine antique pieces, put them on, have a clear title with "antique" and use the listing to explain just how the repros/new differ from the pieces you have. Use this as an opportunity to educate people on new verus antiques and if you have really good listings, they will outshine the listings for the repros.

What I started to do when I see something in the wrong category is send a private message to seller, if it does not get changed in a reasonable time, I am going to ask for the auction to be pulled!! Hate to be mean but their junk in the wrong category ruins it for everyone.

Forum Newbie
    All-About DutchDelftware
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    True. Antiques/vintage and discussion if something is really old if from 1980s etc is not issue. Putting new stuff in antiques/vintage is.

I would never let anyone else's listings affect what I list. You have hundreds of genuine antique pieces, put them on, have a clear title with "antique" and use the listing to explain just how the repros/new differ from the pieces you have. Use this as an opportunity to educate people on new verus antiques and if you have really good listings, they will outshine the listings for the repros.

What I started to do when I see something in the wrong category is send a private message to seller, if it does not get changed in a reasonable time, I am going to ask for the auction to be pulled!! Hate to be mean but their junk in the wrong category ruins it for everyone.
    That makes no sence if you look at the decorative under antiques there are probably out of the 120.000 more than 60.000 items new or reproductions.
    Nobody is going to scroll through a list of 120.000 items.
    The first thing they have to do is make much more catagories and make a start cleaning the catagories up. If they don't do that listing is a waist of time. I ask all ebay customers what they think about ebid, they all had a look and gave up. It is a real shame, in Holland ebay increases the prices as per september substantially (200%) and a lot of shops are looking around for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchDelftware View Post
    The only way is to warn a couple of times and af they keep doing it, kick them out. I am quit willing to list a couple of hundred 18/19th century Delft stuff on condition the list is clean. Now it is absolutely useless a customer looks ones, twice and he will never look again. The big problem is new and reproductions and not a bit of a mix between antiques en vintage.
    There is a category for Delft in Porcelain Pottery & Glass,
    there are also categories for dateline ceramics.
    http://nl.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?typ...mo=subcategory

http://nl.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?typ...mo=subcategory
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Frankly, I don't see that the problem is needing a specific category for each individual manufacturer of something. It is with people putting things in totally unrelated categories. Whether it be by accident, ignorance or some bizarre marketing strategy it does nothing but bring down the site in the eyes of potential bidders.

I would hope that as mature and rational business people we are capable of policing ourselves. However, in the absence of that ability, it falls on the site administration to see that the rules and regulations are administered for the benefit of all the members. Failure to do so can only lead to a degeneration of the site rendering it useless as a selling platform.

Can anyone honestly say that they can recommend this site, with the current state of its antiques category to any serious and knowledgeable antiques collectors? Frankly, I value my credibility among my customers too much for that. And that's just the one category.

I must admit, this isn't the only site I've seen with this problem. It seems to stem from the desire to increase the number of listings on the site and the fear of losing the listings of those that engage in mis-categorized listing. Sometimes "Quality" has to be placed before "Quantity" in order to rise above the mediocre.

I've reported auctions in questionable categories, but only on items where I have enough knowledge to be sure it's wrong. If it's a newer member and not a dropshipper, I try to contact them privately first and give them a heads up. When I do report them, eBid has always (eventually) pulled the auctions.

They rely on us to keep this site clean. I don't see how eBid admin can possibly know enough about every single category to weed out the offenders. Report them. One of the options in Report This Auction is "Item MUST be in relevant category".

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Can anyone honestly say that they can recommend this site, with the current state of its antiques category to any serious and knowledgeable antiques collectors? Frankly, I value my credibility among my customers too much for that. And that's just the one category.
    Well, I'd certainly recommend the Architectural Salvage category. I asked for it a couple of years back, most of the old stuff in it is mine and I've sold from it frequently! To my suprise no one has joined me!

No problem, I'll just carry on as I have been.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I've reported auctions in questionable categories, but only on items where I have enough knowledge to be sure it's wrong. If it's a newer member and not a dropshipper, I try to contact them privately first and give them a heads up. When I do report them, eBid has always (eventually) pulled the auctions.

They rely on us to keep this site clean. I don't see how eBid admin can possibly know enough about every single category to weed out the offenders. Report them. One of the options in Report This Auction is "Item MUST be in relevant category".
    "Antiques" is not a category I tend to list in.....or have any real knowledge about.
    But I know when I see a quantity of 5 & listed as "new"....then they aren't antiques

I think that the category is in such a mess now......that it's going to take an army to sort it out

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Forum Newbie
    All-About DutchDelftware
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post
    "Antiques" is not a category I tend to list in.....or have any real knowledge about.
    But I know when I see a quantity of 5 & listed as "new"....then they aren't antiques

I think that the category is in such a mess now......that it's going to take an army to sort it out

Yvonne x
    The first thing they need to do is to move the thousands of prints of wich a substantial number is brand new out of decorative. The old ones should go to prints and the new ones should be kicked out.

Thread Information