eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Do books sell on ebid?

Default Re: Do books sell on ebid?

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    Take a look at my returns policy, if you like it and want to use it, feel free to copy http://us.ebid.net/users/jeweleffects

Hope it helps
    Thank you Jewels
    I'll read your policy again tomorrow and then make some amendments to my own after that

I do like the bit about 3days being the cut off point!

On my consignment notes for my work as a courier I have something similar.
    Doh! .....that didn't enter my head when doing profile!!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peterpunto08 View Post
    Thank you Jewels
    I'll read your policy again tomorrow and then make some amendments to my own after that

I do like the bit about 3days being the cut off point!

On my consignment notes for my work as a courier I have something similar.
    Doh! .....that didn't enter my head when doing profile!!
    A little jolt sometimes helps
    Mind you, I'm not perfect by a long shot and I'm always learning from others.

Most items I like to sell by auction, some on a best offer (usually having failed to get off the ground at the auction starting price)
    On eBid though I've been tempted into doing auction with BIN cos it then supposedly gets onto Google shopping

I follow your logic deanosaur......do you think for example a 10% difference is ok between auction start price and BIN price....or would you go higher/lower than that??
    Yes 10% is not going to be a problem - on that price differential the bid price wouldn't block out the buy price.

There is no hard and fast rule for the differential - but the bigger the difference the more potential custom can be lost.

So on a £2.00 item.

£2.00 bid and £2.05 buy - no point in having the bid price which just causes an extra thought process.
    £2.00 bid and £2.20 buy - isn't really going to put any block on the buy price for the majority.
    £2.00 bid and £3.00 buy - that may well block out the buy price for a few.
    £2.00 bid and £4.00 buy - that would definitely make the buy price unusable for most.

It is no secret that I am not a fan of anything other that Buy it Now prices - everything else just adds more thoughts for buyers to consider and I don't particularly like buyers thinking too much about anything other than hitting the Buy it Now button. The more things that are given for a buyer to think about the further you can move them away from buying.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    deanasaur1972, I fear we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point! I'm sure others could say if I dropped the auction running time to 3 days some buyers may be more inclined to place a bid, others might say free P & P will encourage bidders. I really feel there has to be a differential between the prices to make the concept viable otherwise you might just as well offer B.I.N. prices only.
    This really hurt me to say....and i hope it won't happen again....and its not what i want to do ...but, i have to force myself to admit that Deanosaur makes a good point....err ....well more than one ....and i hate to have to do this.

Sure enough.... i have to say that there's a substantial difference between the buy it now prices and auction ones and this is really going to make potential buyers think twice before hitting the buy now button.

The name Ebid is now something of a paradox...insofar as even the thread deleters made a change to what was once the "after auction log" is now known as the "after sale log"....so even here we can see a shift in the way that the site operates.

If ....right now ...you're selling or can sell on other sites....then you must do this, but the one site really holds no future for the smaller seller and its for this reason that Ebid is so worthwhile putting some effort into ....and i certainly couldn't see how giving up here could do you any favours.

Ignoring for a moment the issue of breaking any site rules (here and elsewhere), its still not a good idea to place an item up for auction on more than one site at the same time as it is always possible the one item gets sold twice at more or less the same time
    But what's wrong with an auction format complimented by a classified ad elsewhere?

The more stuff being listed at any one time on eBid, the better!
    But by having the same stuff elsewhere (in classifieds) certainly improves chances of a sale.
    Horses for courses though
    Lot depends on what line is being sold

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why hasn't this thread been deleted due to being reported by the usual suspects or by the Ebid men in black themselves?....i mean.... it appears to question how effective this site is in terms of being a viable platform....all similar threads are killed off instantly.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ignoring for a moment the issue of breaking any site rules (here and elsewhere), its still not a good idea to place an item up for auction on more than one site at the same time as it is always possible the one item gets sold twice at more or less the same time
    But what's wrong with an auction format complimented by a classified ad elsewhere?

The more stuff being listed at any one time on eBid, the better!
    But by having the same stuff elsewhere (in classifieds) certainly improves chances of a sale.
    Horses for courses though
    Lot depends on what line is being sold
    I certainly would not risk advertising a item on two sites or more, but first of all we have to decide what is a item, for me my items sell fast on ebid because there uncommon or rare, so theres a real risk they would get a bid in one palace , and a buy it now in another, i think that probably holds true for most collector items once they get into the uncommon range,

i personally think it looks unprofessional listing the same items on two or more sites, in the every day new items, eg il use a tooth brush as a example sellers who do this are competing with themselves listing the same brush over two or more sites reduces the chances of selling here on ebid, theres little incentive to sign up to buy the brush on ebid if its listed on a site were the buyer is already signed up, even with a small price difference, you can take Deanos example as a good idea of what drives a buyer, the same difference applies to signing up,to buy , incentives and being competitive will get you buyers on ebid,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Some good points Sid

Freeads does enable me to place a link back to my eBid store though and as the items on there get plenty of views it quite likely that some of those viewers are then looking at ebid also......and if that's the case they'll see my ebid prices are possibly the same but probably lower.
    On the classifieds sites I use there is no BIN....so I don't get left in the awkward position of having 1 item sold twice!

I'd have thought I was increasing exposure to new audience rather than advertising to same audience on different sites

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some good points Sid

Freeads does enable me to place a link back to my eBid store though and as the items on there get plenty of views it quite likely that some of those viewers are then looking at ebid also......and if that's the case they'll see my ebid prices are possibly the same but probably lower.
    On the classifieds sites I use there is no BIN....so I don't get left in the awkward position of having 1 item sold twice!

I'd have thought I was increasing exposure to new audience rather than advertising to same audience on different sites

i think your right dont think ive heard anyone mention the use of free adds on ebid before as a form of advertising, and it really does prove the point that buyers are only two or 3 clicks away from a site in nantwich or a site in glasgow ect, i do know people who will only use one ,e-commerce site , one of them is how shall i say very well off , fairly old and set in there ways, so they use the river, im sure there in a minority these days,

my own experience of selling on ebid is if i offer a rare item it does not last long, its sold here, uncommon items if there is a rough idea of what they tend to sell for, i price competitively, i also sell new items that service the old ,collectable items, again i sell competitively, or have one loss leader, another big advantage is i sell the whole range of consumables to service the above items, so people know they can get what they need in one store, with out having to troll the internet to get every thing , thats a huge advantage for any seller, on ebid, ive watched on the other side when a fairly uncommon item is on a 10 day auction it sells, but they could of bought it here,on a BIN cheaper, time and time again within 10 mins after that auction sold,ive sold my same item, you could even see it was one of the bidders on the other side, not any more though, its very hard to find out whos buying what on TOS with all the changes they make, ive never had a problem selling on ebid the problem i have is sourcing new old stock, of course no seller can control a dip in a market, be it a recession or floods of cheap foreign imports, but they can adapt to market changes, a bit like adapting to anew to them e-commerce site.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Omg.....I'm a 'forum lurker' now instead of newbie...dunno that I like the sound of that! lol

My fees to eBid have been paid, its a really nice site, I'm not relying solely on this for an income.......so it's a case of just sitting back, watching the scenery, and enjoying the ride

Oops, that doesn't sound very pro-active does it?......but you know what I mean, I'm sure?

Thread Information