eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **Do You Grow Your Own? Or Buy?**

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow you completely threw me

Thought for a mo that Pauline and Elaine (chiquita and fairywishes) were back wow and dragonmist, what a blast from the past. them were the days

Think about it but thats as far as it goes, dont know if i will ever do it
    Last edited by shezz; 11th April 2009 at 11:39 PM.
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

After an approximately 10 year hiatus, I am back starting a vegetable garden this summer. I bought 8 or 9 varieties of tomato seeds from two EXCELLENT ebid sellers, knappschiles and rainbowgardens. There are now 28 tomato seedlings transplanted into my back yard garden and I'm hoping the squirrels, birds and bugs let me harvest a bounty.

That's all the room my spaded up garden provides and I'm thinking about hiring some more to be rototilled. Don't consider me a pansy. This dirt here is heavy clay and full of tough roots decades old.

Also I grow marigolds and basil.

So many of the tomato seeds germinated, I have MANY seedlings to try to adopt out!

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oh Ada, last year Mark took the last dying tomato plants from the store in town, they were in a basket with "free" written on the front. He nursed every one back to health and we had something like 55 tomato plants there, plus the 20 or so we'd planted ourselves! The horror! So I hope you get your seedlings adopted out!

We start from seed and get some from the greenhouse.

Last year one of my customers brought in 6 little tomatoes he had grown after saving the seeds back the year before. These are small, yellow and fuzzy, kind of like a small peach or large apricot, very sweet. I started some of the seeds I saved back from those 6 tomatoes and have high hopes for them.

We planted some broccoli and cauliflower plants today, plus onion sets and potatoes. The rabbits sat at the edge of the garden, smacking their lips.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

* 75 * tomato plants...laughing out loud.

We have a family reunion this July up in South Dakota (about 900 miles north of me) and I hope to bring up some tomatoes for the silent auction we always have. Nobody else will have any ripe, I'm sure.

One time as I stopped at an Interstate 35 highway rest stop in southern Iowa (Osceola to be exact), there were about four red ripe tomatoes placed on top of a newspaper dispenser...apparently a gardener had a surplus and was giving them away free.

Another Iowa rest stop, I think west of Des Moines on I-80, actually had a raised bed with about 8 tomato plants growing in it instead of the usual inedible flowers common to rest stops. I would like to think travelers didn't take the tomatoes unless they were invited to.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'll have to buy something from you at the end of June, Ada, and you can deliver it to me on your way up to South Dakota

I haven't seen tomatoes growing lately at the rest stops, although the Welcome Center at the Lamoni exit (one exit south of the Lamoni rest stop) used to have displays of various kinds of gardens. You know, raised beds, vertical gardens, a corn patch.....Graceland University bought the Welcome Center and they've brought in an old church for travelers to look at. For all I know they will have the garden display again; last week there were some Amish men working on something back where those gardens used to be

Doesn't surprise me about the tomatoes sitting on top of the newspaper dispenser, free for the taking. When the zucchini come in, you've got to lock your vehicle so people don't dump an armload of them on the passenger seat
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Thread Information