My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do something about knives

Default Knives are very scary things....

it is illegal for any shop to sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under the age of 18

There is a complete ban on the sale of certain types of knives categorised as offensive weapons, regardless of their use, these include:
    • flick knives - knives where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed; these are also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives'
    • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
    • disguised knives - where the blade is hidden inside something like a belt buckle or fake mobile phone.
    knives where the blade folds into the handle, like a Swiss Army Knife, aren't illegal as long as the blade is shorter than three inches (7.62 cms)

I took this from the link that Bykimbo posted earlier.

The bit that makes it difficult for on-line sites to comply with is is age verification. None of us can be sure who we are selling too.

I agree with all who state this is a cultural problem, and that parents should know what their kids are doing. However how many of us can honestly say we know everything our kids get up to. Think back to when you were a kid and i'm sure you must have done something that your parents never found out about. I'm not suggesting that we were all hooligans and thugs, just trying to make the point that you can not always know what happens, even under your own roof.

I sympathise with the boys in that they have a difficult descision to make, and as with others agree that they must attempt to stick within the law.

Mel

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    If a knife has a purpose that is not to be concealed or to do harm then I think they should be allowed to be sold.
    Any object which has a blade can be used for purposes outside of what it was designed for. These examples could include
    Stanley knifes, pencil sharpeners, putty / filling knife, kitchen knives for chopping, cutlery, Swiss army knives, mandolin slicers, potato peelers etc. Also you could then go a step further and ban scissors, first aid kits (most contain a pair of scissors) universal car gator rubbers (you get a knife in some to cut to size)

I just think that illegal knives should be banned only, and also it might be an idea to verify buyers when buying any item that requires you to be 18 or over by law, eg cutlery, Stanley blades / knives, screwdrivers etc
    Good point Sarah, almost anything can be used as a weapon, keys, biros, combs etc. I knew a lad who came from a rough part of Birmingham some time ago, it was at the time when Afro haircuts were very popular. He had one and carried the appropriate comb with him, which as pointed out could make a very handy weapon for someone.

I used to go on road trips with the Solihull Barons Hockey Team, one of my fellow travellers was a steward down at the NEC. He told me that everyone going in was searched and if a knife was discovered it was confiscated; but they were under strict instructions to return any that were under a certain length. This upset him and the other lads doing the job, as it was blatantly obvious why they they were being carried; but because they were legal there was nothing they could do.

Yes knifes sales are monitored closely in the UK, but there are exceptions such as those for kitchen use, and crafts; the only requirement is that you have to be over a certain age to purchase them.

Regarding the age thing, we had a fairly lengthy discussion about this apertaining to DvDs some time ago and didn't get any clear guidance on how old people have to be to sign up with eBid. In the T&C's it mentions something along the lines of being old enough to make a binding agreement. But in certain circumstances that can be anything between 16 and 18 in the UK. Although a credit card is required to sign up, which I believe are only issued to 18+.

By the way if anyone sees anything they think is a potential dangerous weapon they should report it. G & M do remove them when they are alerted.
    Last edited by lofty100e; 9th February 2009 at 10:37 PM.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    A very tricky subject. Everyones input will be welcomed on this subject.
    What sort of knives?
    How do we determine when a knife should be allowed or not?
    Do we put a blanket ban on all knives?

The most obviously deadly knives we have had a ban on for a long time off our own back but where do we set the limits.

Gazza
    A lot of the knives that are legal in other countries, are illegal in the UK.
    Sometime back I think you posted that Adult Items couldn't be sold to India, & you were adding a system where India couldn't be chosen by the seller.
    Is it possible for you to do the same thing for knives & the UK?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

If ebid were to start down the road of banning such items, I would pull out of here

Feebay is goofy enough for the whole internet

For those that are so worried that someone else may have a knife - get yourself a sidearm
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    A lot of the knives that are legal in other countries, are illegal in the UK.
    Sometime back I think you posted that Adult Items couldn't be sold to India, & you were adding a system where India couldn't be chosen by the seller.
    Is it possible for you to do the same thing for knives & the UK?
    So you're pro stopping *all* knife sales in the UK? Seems like a "sledgehammer/nut" scenario to me.

For those that are so worried that someone else may have a knife - get yourself a sidearm

Irresponsible advice!

We are not allowed to carry arms in this country!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was in the pub trade for nearly 10 years. Luckily there was never much trouble, though on the odd occasions there was it was always a brick, glass bottle, stool, screwdriver or whatever that was used in fights.

Only once I saw someone use a (stanley craft) knife, that can be picked up at any cheapo hardware or £1 shop.

If we ban knives, what next? All DIY tools? All kitchen cutlery?

Not only that, there are some hugly talented and proper knife makers in this country, whos knives sell for £100s of pounds on auction sites (they are almost works of art in themsleves). How can they make a living if they are banned from internet sites? I use knives myself in wood/ craftwork, some specifically bought over the internet cos I couldn't get them as none of the shops near me stocked them. How can I buy them if they are banned? Why should I be punished

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks like this

(And trust me no one is going to use there £300 Bushcraft or Ray Mears knife to stab someone, it's normally kept in a locked cupboard so it doesn't get damaged !! )

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    So you're pro stopping *all* knife sales in the UK? Seems like a "sledgehammer/nut" scenario to me.
    No not at all, maybe I wasn't clear.
    Some of the knives, sold perfectly legally in the USA for instance are illegal in the UK. (ie Some of the hunting knives)
    What I was trying to say is when a Seller lists those sort of knives, shipping to the UK isn't an option.

From the comments by SOME of the US members they are unaware of our Gun (including replica gun) & Knife Laws.

Alternatively
    for affected categories maybe a warning when shipping to the UK is chosen, about the legalities of selling/shipping knives to the UK.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 10th February 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    No not at all, maybe I wasn't clear.
    Some of the knives, sold perfectly legally in the USA for instance are illegal in the UK. (ie Some of the hunting knives)
    What I was trying to say is when a Seller lists those sort of knives, shipping to the UK isn't an option.
    Okay, I see. Tricky one, glad I don't have to the coding.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Okay, I see. Tricky one, glad I don't have to the coding.
    If they can set it on a category, as in "Adult" & India, it should be possible on the categories for things like hunting knives.

It wouldn't stop those deliberately trying to break the rules but
    it might at least stop those who list items like that & choose worldwide without even being aware they are breaking UK law.

As eBid grows internationally more problems like this will arise,
    seeds & plants to Australia & New Zealand for instance.

A business seller SHOULD be aware of the relevant laws, but a casual seller may not.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 10th February 2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Thread Information