Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gazza, Item Description all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by darth_reaper View Post
    Yeah, me too, bold gets removed from font, paragraphs end up out of order, and it's nothing to do with the Turbo Lister coding because it's been working fine since I've been on here copy and pasting from TL into eBid's online item description. I've only had this problem twice over a couple of days each, the first time, eBid did something to fix it, so it seems that fix needs doing again.
    Yes, I forgot to add that this problem has only occured over the last few days. I was cutting and pasting from TL with no problem before.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Maybe if eBid supplied us all with a page with no restrictions, then postage costs, terms, return policy etc, could all be placed on that one page with a link to it from each listing instead of having to put that info on every listing
    Use your About Me page or, if you have webspace, to a page located off site. Link to that from your listings.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_reaper View Post
    HTML is supposed to be universal so why one site should use one HTML code for bold font while another site uses a different HTML code for bold font is ridiculous. I've seen other sights that have different codes for font colours too opposed to the universal colour codes. What's the point? Just use the universal one! It's because of these different codes on different sites that we end up with problems like this instead of them using the universal code.
    eBid is not making up their own version of HTML.
    Like everything else in the sphere of computing, there are competing standards which different groups are pushing. Microsoft created their own version as an offshoot of regular HTML. It adds different functionality and does some things in a slightly different way to regular, basic HTML, but it also requires a lot more information be added to the code. It is often these additional bits of information - and where they need to be within the document - that causes the problems. To understand the whys and wherefores of this situation you'd need to learn a bit about the tools you are using - you'd have to lift the bonnet and learn about the engine instead of just driving the car, so to speak.

You can continue to stick with Turbo Lister and then complain when the output from it doesn't do what you want it to, or you can recognise the limitations of that software and find something which does actually work with eBid. Expecting eBid to change the way they do things to suit you and a limited number of others is probably not going to get you very far, but it's your choice.

So, having tried to help you I am now going to bow out and leave you to do whatever you choose. So far you seem to have ignored what I have suggested. I doubt matters will change, therefore making any further input from me a waste of time and effort.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've added a version of the editor to my help pages, but with full width view. Somebody might find it helpful. Or might not.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

The Plain HTML Box can be used for pasting your own HTML into your descriptions. No changes will be made using this method.

Using the WYSIWYG Advanced editor is really for people to build up their descriptions from scratch. If you wish to input your own HTML here then it will be subject to some behind the scene changes in accordance with it's XHTML rules.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    The Plain HTML Box can be used for pasting your own HTML into your descriptions. No changes will be made using this method.

Using the WYSIWYG Advanced editor is really for people to build up their descriptions from scratch. If you wish to input your own HTML here then it will be subject to some behind the scene changes in accordance with it's XHTML rules.

Gazza
    Not having any idea how to use HTML I have always used a plain & simple type it in the text box on other sites, and so used the WYSIWYG option here on eBid. All was fine before Christmas, I was able to just cut & paste from listings elsewhere and everything appeared spot on. Since then, no matter how I try the vast majority of my listings never quite appear right. They can look ok in the summary box but once saved and uploaded they are all disjointed.

I appreciate what others have said about how I may be using a method that is not compatible with eBid.

My point is why was it ok before Christmas, yet now it can take me dozens of attempts to get a listing to look right.

I have even tried starting from total scratch using the WSIWYG typing everything again, then press list and what happens, scrambled listings.

Another problem is that when I have tried to re-list un-sold items using the manual re-post, the same thing happens. The original listing can look perfectly ok but once relisted they are scrambled. This cannot be right ! The automatic relisted items stay ok, so why not those manually?

It is so easy for those who are technically minded and maybe have the time to study HTML to think that there is not really a problem. I am becoming more and more frustrated with things.

I love the whole ebid ethos and have found many of the fellow ebidders to be very helpful, I have tried using Bykimbos' listing widget, typing a full desription in there only to then use exactly the same description on the eBid listing page and it once again appearing all scrambled when listed.

Surely here must be some way for this problemto be resolved. I obviouslly am not the only person having this problem, having read several threads, most of the glitches appear to have occured sime the major site update.

I hope I have not upset or annoyed anyone with this post, that is not my intention, I would just love to be able to continue listing my items to add to the eBid community.

For all who have read my words, I thank you and wish you all well.

Cheers Mel

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by booksntings View Post
    I love the whole ebid ethos and have found many of the fellow ebidders to be very helpful, I have tried using Bykimbos' listing widget, typing a full desription in there only to then use exactly the same description on the eBid listing page and it once again appearing all scrambled when listed.
    Did you copy the description from my widget straight into the listing form? I'd be interested to see the results of that, and then I could look at the code it produces and see if I picked up any clues.

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't know if I what I am adding is relevant, but hope it is. The only way I can produce the listings for eBid, is to either type them in Notepad, or, type them in word and cut and paste to notepad (I do not find notepad too easy to manouevre around) which removes all the formatting. I then cut and paste from Notepad to eBid and do all the formatting, font changes, etc in eBid. If I try and paste direct from Word to eBid, blank lines are removed, fonts change size, etc.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by victorfrank View Post
    I don't know if I what I am adding is relevant, but hope it is. The only way I can produce the listings for eBid, is to either type them in Notepad, or, type them in word and cut and paste to notepad (I do not find notepad too easy to manouevre around) which removes all the formatting. I then cut and paste from Notepad to eBid and do all the formatting, font changes, etc in eBid. If I try and paste direct from Word to eBid, blank lines are removed, fonts change size, etc.
    That's exactly how I have managed to do mine, but when I paste into the description the page still stretches but fortunately I can still carry on and upload it and it appears ok on the listing.......so far
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minx41 View Post
    That's exactly how I have managed to do mine, but when I paste into the description the page still stretches but fortunately I can still carry on and upload it and it appears ok on the listing.......so far
    Great minds.

Thread Information