Thread: Search Problem

Forum Lurker
    View illudius's Feedback (+1324)
    All-About illudius
    View illudius's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Search Problem

Hi,

I have had a problem with search for a while when using multiple criteria. Previously I though it just didn't work but I've now realised it's a little more complex.

When searching in comics I often use the title name plus the number of the issue I'm after (say X-Men 120). This works fine producing everything containing X-Men and 120. However if you use a single digit like X-Men 2 it shows all X-Men and ignores the 2. I've done some testing and this seems to be a problem with all single digit numbers.

I suspect the issue maybe that single character criteria are ignored. I assume this is because they could return huge lists of results when used on their own. However in the case of a multiple criteria search , single character criteria are important as they let you limit down the field effectively. If this could be looked at sometime it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Illudius
    Come visit my Comic Emporium, it's lovely
    Come visit Northern Comics

the single digit issue tells me that it's using a mysql fulltext index and searche terms (at default) have to have a minimum 4 characters.. I suspect the guys set it down to 3 to help get better results, which is why 120 works... so I think that surely is a severe limitation that eventually may become a huge issue...
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

We have never been able to search numbers here. It's the same when searching for clothes by size or shoes by size (which is why there are sub-categories by size). It doesn't take single or double numbers.

yeah it doesnt matter if it is letters or numbers- it's the number of characters in the keyword.. a = A = 5 = ñ all would be 1 character .. and a fulltext index by default is configured to ignore less than 4 characters, the fact that 120 comes up indicates the configuration has been altered from default to search on 3 characters, ignoring 1 or 2 character keywords.. either way.. the end result is the current search feature that we see today...

There are ways to make the search feature "smarter" but it would take a *lot* of code work to do.. I would wonder if perhaps it might not be worthwhile to partner up with google or a big search engine, have them spider pages at ebid on an hourly basis or so, and use THEIR search engine on-site to search out products.... that way, searches wouldnt even have to hit MySQL at all until buyer went to specific details of an auction.. likewise, with ability to browse expired auctions, a search engine could crawl the expired auctions on a regular basis, and also provide that same search functionality.. on top of which, one could actually browse expired auctions specifically, rather than doing it via the search facility..

and I would bet that would take a huge load off the servers to boot, improving performance and site reliability
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Oh yeah- added benefit of such a deal with the likes of google, for example, they'd be able to collect search keyword data and be able to built "hotlists" of top searches. which, knowing google, they WOULD find a way to monetize that..

Forum Lurker
    View illudius's Feedback (+1324)
    All-About illudius
    View illudius's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Idealproductsales View Post
    the single digit issue tells me that it's using a mysql fulltext index and searche terms (at default) have to have a minimum 4 characters.. I suspect the guys set it down to 3 to help get better results, which is why 120 works... so I think that surely is a severe limitation that eventually may become a huge issue...
    Actually it works with 2 characters so you can search for 10 for example. Not sure about the code being used but I suspect your theory is correct. Given it's a problem in other areas to like shoes and I guess DVDs (Die Hard 2 for example). I hope it can be fixed.

Illudius
    Come visit my Comic Emporium, it's lovely
    Come visit Northern Comics

Thread Information