Thread: How to accept credit cards

Forum Newbie
    View drr91075's Feedback (+1)
    All-About drr91075
    View drr91075's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How to accept credit cards

Hello!

In my auction, I clicked to accept credit cards. However, I can't seem to figure out how the customer would pay with a credit card. I see where it says credit cards are accepted, but how does one select it as their payment method when purchasing an item? I can add a code snippet for a direct payment, but does eBid allow this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unless you have a credit card processing machine (brick and mortar store merchant), then you would need to use a service like PayPal or Google Checkout. To register for an account is free but they, of course, charge a fee per transaction, based on the final sale amount--which you just build in to your auction price--as part of your overhead/operating expenses. Once you have subscribed to one of these services and link your seller account(s) with them, then an icon will appear for your buyer to click on. The buyer pays using their credit card, the service processes it, and adds the funds to your account which can then be withdrawn or transferred to your personal bank account.

Forum Newbie
    All-About drr91075
    View drr91075's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the information LoriKeet08. I already offer Google and PayPal. I was just wondering how I could use my merchant account. Like I said, I could add a link for a direct customer interface, but I would think this wouldn't be allowed as it would cut eBid out completely.

If anyone knows how this can be done, I would appreciate the help.
    Last edited by drr91075; 20th July 2008 at 06:05 PM.

Forum Newbie
    All-About drr91075
    View drr91075's Listings
    Forum Posts

I sent a question to support about this. Their response follows:

"You may use any regular way payment system on your auctions.
    We do not allow any payment links on your auction however. All auctions are settled
    after the auction expires using the After Auction Log."

Is it possible to add your own payment processor to the after auction log?

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Drr

The only payment processors that are integrated with ebid are, peepal, pppay & google checkout.

So my instincts tell me that you wouldn't be able to integrate your own processor within the AAL.

Would a clickable link direct buyers to your website checkout?
    (that would be a good reason not to have it in your auction desc. )

The only other alternative I know of is to process CC's by telephone! This in itself requires a huge leap of faith from any prospective customer
    We use this method (not on ebid I may add), but the merchant service charges would make it seriously prohibitive on lower value items.

Hopefully someone else with a Merchant Service Agreement can offer more insight as to how you could use it on eBid.

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Forum Newbie
    All-About drr91075
    View drr91075's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the information. That's kind of what I thought. What confuses me about this is the option to accept credit cards. Why have the option if you can't accept them?

Hi

I have a Merchant Account and process credit/debit cards via Protx & Streamline. As well as being able to take secure payments via my websites I also have the facility which enables me to manually input card details. Protx call this facility VSP Terminal - this type of facility is also called a Virtual Terminal.

I offer this service to my auction customers. I have a secure on-line page, and also accept details via telephone. I have a Mal's eCommerce account and use their encrypted service to collect credit/debit card details via a secure web page.

I think the option is there for sellers who have Merchant Accounts and the use of a Virtual Terminal.
    Last edited by busylizziecrafts; 29th July 2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo

I have a merchant account through Propay, which allows me to either take c.c. info over the phone, input it on their website or send email invoices. What I've done on ebid, seeing as I can't tie it in, is just send an email invoice to customers after purchase which takes them to the Propay site to pay. It's not an ideal situation, but at least it allows me to take the c.c. payments without having to call the customer for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by drr91075 View Post
    Thanks for the information. That's kind of what I thought. What confuses me about this is the option to accept credit cards. Why have the option if you can't accept them?
    Well, you would want your customers to know you can take credit card payments, even though it's not tied in and you have to do the processing yourself. I've put a note in my listings that I'll be invoicing for c.c. payments after purchase. The only place I'm able to tie the credit card service is on my website - everywhere else I have to manually process or invoice.

propay is awesome its owned by well fargo and its a much needed altern ative to paypal usually people with paypal have a credit card or debit card which can be used on propay...ebid needs to integrate propay ASap...that way people dont need to use crappy paypal..

Thread Information