My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Oh my god

Default Oh my god

I have just been on the Oz forum in feebay, spreading the message when I came upon a discussion.
    A seller had sent an item, the buyer decided after a week they did not want it, seller states as usual send item back, will refund when received.
    7 days later buyer complaining no refund, seller restates send item back will refund.
    14 days later another email from buyer. I want my refund, I am not sending back item till I get refund and the postage it costs to send it.
    There are 96 posts on there after the 1st few saying basically tell her not without the item, then someone, ebay employee in disguise maybe, tells customer there is a law he has to refund.
    Talk about kicking sellers, no law can tell you to give away your items.
    I had the same over there with a bloke in France, said mine was damaged when he got it.
    Went through the usual send back will refund and postage it cost if item is same and damaged.
    He wanted me to give him the 30 euros back plus another 30 euros in postage, amazing that when it costs about 5.
    Peepall dispute ruled in my favour when I stated clearly I wanted the item back as he was not having it for free

UK law, Distance Selling Regulations

You have to state in you listing that the buyer is expected to return the item before any refund can be given. Then they have to return it. If you don't make the buyer aware of this fact then they don't have to return it and the seller has to collect the item at the sellers expense.

If the item is faulty, the seller has to refund all costs including return postage. If the buyer just changes their mind (and the item is not faulty or damaged), then the buyer has to pay for return postage; but you have to state this in your listings.

Thats it in short. The longer version with all the grit is on the trading standards website.

What happens in Aus I don't know, but this is the position in the UK.
    I remember everything, even what happened tomorrow.

games4mac ~ DragonsRest ~ DragonsRest Lounge ~ Windfall

Meet my avatar: Qu the engineer and enchanter. Who else could invent the armour piercing rabbit (can dig holes through anything) and the duck gun (fires rubber ducks)?
    Join me on eBid here.

God bless eBid and all who sale in her!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

thanks for that Chameleon - will be altering my tos.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I sold something recently.

The buyer emails me saying that it arrived broken in 3 pieces.

I state that I will refund even though they declined insurance.

Package arrives back to me, item broken in 3 pieces but not enough sign of damage to the box to have been broken in shipping.

I believe that the buyer broke it for a refund.

What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonSystems View Post

You have to state in you listing that the buyer is expected to return the item before any refund can be given. Then they have to return it. If you don't make the buyer aware of this fact then they don't have to return it and the seller has to collect the item at the sellers expense.

If the item is faulty, the seller has to refund all costs including return postage. If the buyer just changes their mind (and the item is not faulty or damaged), then the buyer has to pay for return postage; but you have to state this in your listings.

Thats it in short. The longer version with all the grit is on the trading standards website.

Also just to add these important bits, the dsr's only apply to fixed price items & do not apply to auction items where they have bidded. But to be honest, even if someone brought an item through bidding only and my item that I sold arrived damaged I would still offer a refund, I would not want the item back, I would just need proof, that the item was damaged. Then I would just claim off the carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorseGems View Post
    I sold something recently.

The buyer emails me saying that it arrived broken in 3 pieces.

I state that I will refund even though they declined insurance.

Package arrives back to me, item broken in 3 pieces but not enough sign of damage to the box to have been broken in shipping.

I believe that the buyer broke it for a refund.

What should I do?
    That would be difficult to prove. Refund the money and never sell to him again.

Quote Originally Posted by exoticincense View Post
    That would be difficult to prove. Refund the money and never sell to him again.

I will refund but would like the buyer to know that I know...lol

It was a piece of Ivory. Pretty hard substance to just break. In bubble wrap, in a box, in a padded envelope...well packaged.

The box isn't bent enough for the piece to break. It is very obvious that it wasn't broken in transit.

Makes me mad. Not so much the money but, it was a very nice vintage ivory piece. Shame thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonSystems View Post

Who in the UK made that rule? Wonder if it applies in the US?

Seems to me like that would be an obvious thing....returned item or picture of item.

The gall of some people to just expect a refund on their word..!

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack this thread with my buyer dilemma. It wasn't really a problem, I just wanted to share the story.

Thread Information