Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: webdesigners ?? !!

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deadmr View Post
    i have hosting i just need the site redoing cause i cnt do what im needing it to do.do you have like experiance with php and all the database stuff for like making users be able to login im interested in what you can do and if you could do the sorta stuff im looking for im sure it would all work out

First things first - you need to have defined statements of what you want the site to do, and who it is aimed at

Then you might find there is a pre-built script available free from the open source world, that does what you need and just needs a few tweaks.

Without digging into your site (yuch factor 10 on the colours) I'm guessing you need an extensible CMS like Drupal or Joomla, so that you can add the exact plug-ins you need for the tasks you want the site to perform. However, they do have a steep learning curve if you've never used anything like them before.

If you're wanting "members" to be able to log-in and leave documents announcements etc, you definately need a CMS system based on php & SQL - anything else is not going to be able to handle the data management and user verification.

You could try working around things by using a forum system like SMF, which has thousands of "community" style plug-ins, or phpBB (very weak security), or pay for one of the higher end boards like InVision.

Like I said - first things first - have you defined the needed functions and purpose, and created a mission statement for the site yet? Without that, you might as well try to harvest a wheat field with nail clippers.

Gaz

I have worked some with databases and users, though mostly in forums.
    Try to organize your needs, and use punctuation. It's a bit hard to understand.
    ~I fly for the horizon, I fly until the sun pierces the darkness.

Auctions: http://us.nine.ebid.net/perl/main.cg...arch&type=user

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldoodlebug View Post
    I have worked some with databases and users, though mostly in forums.
    Try to organize your needs, and use punctuation. It's a bit hard to understand.
    When I used to teach undergrads with second language English, I used to advise them to spend 10-20 minutes every day typing into Microsoft Word with the grammar and spell checker turned on and error highlights visible.

It's amazing the improvement that makes to someone's written English after even just a few months - I've also seen it work wonders for native speakers too, when they realise they have to improve their written work for public reading.

edit - aargh - spotted two typos after posting

I wouldn't have said that Microsoft was a good teacher of grammar
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Diehard
    Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View BridalStudio's Feedback (+47)
    All-About BridalStudio
    View BridalStudio's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have you got Microsoft Frontpage program on your PC..usually comes in the 'word' package...

I built my own website from scratch...Hadn't a clue about anything, so I am self taught...I maintain it on a daily basis uploading files or alterations as required...I did need help though initially to show me how to upload files etc... Now it's a doddle

Have a look at my website, obviously over the past couple of years I have improved somewhat...Plus there are loads of tools and free stuff you can down load.. www.cardcreation-shop.co.uk

Have a go, you dont need to learn all the gobbledy gook (sorry you computer buffs) it's fun and its not costing you anything at this stage...

Have Fun

Front Page produces very bloated code.
    Ken

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Diehard
    All-About BridalStudio
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    Front Page produces very bloated code.
    Have you checked my site Ken???? ... Don't be too critical as you are listed there also...

What do you mean abourt bloated code??? You dont have to use any code whatsoever

I mean the HTML behind the pages is considerably larger than those that are created from scratch rather than with a HTML editor program. I do my site in Notepad, hand crafted from free range organic electrons
    Ken

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Diehard
    All-About BridalStudio
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    I mean the HTML behind the pages is considerably larger than those that are created from scratch rather than with a HTML editor program. I do my site in Notepad, hand crafted from free range organic electrons
    OK so now your getting technical...

But why worry about behind the scenes jargon, when the end result is as brilliant as you want it....

thanks for all your help im hopeing the next time you visit the site if you do it will be all done
    join us on www.ukunsignedmuisc.com where you can find new people to meet. Artists and bands

Thread Information