My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can I stop these people?

Call forwarding to an expensive premium rate number?

Forum Lurker
    View val58's Feedback (+593)
    All-About val58
    View val58's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just tell them I am the squatter and the person they are looking for has moved

Howver I have been getting a lot of calls recently from foreigners about some loan I have applied for.

val58
    http://uk.ebid.tv/stores/PITT-STOP-STORES

have a peek at my new website

http://www.pleaseshowmemoney.co.uk

FREE ADVERTISING HERE. IF YOU JOIN THESES TWO,SEND ME YOUR USER NAME AND STATE EBID MEMBER AND I WILL UPGRADE YOUR MEMBERSHIP FOR FREE TO PLATINUM

http://www.mmaco.net/PITTSTOPMAILING/
    http://www.mmaco.net/VALSMAILBOX/

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Im the caller! All I want to say to you is "I just called to say I love you" But you put the phone down.

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Can Trading Standards suggest any way of stopping this for you?

Marina
    eBid store

http://uk.three.ebid.net/stores/Trea...es-From-Marina

On-line shop

www.shopwithmarina.co.uk

Fashion jewellery and an assortment of gifts that won’t break the bank!

Lovely Christmas antlers and snowmen deeley boppers in stock now – so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz View Post
    We have the service where withheld calls can't get through, so they must be calling from abroad as our caller display just gives a series of -------- on the phone.
    I had the same problem at work, so the BT line is now on permanent Divert to my mobile. It has stopped most of the unwanted calls because overseas numbers show up as (44)xxxxxxxxx and I just reject the call.

If you are on broadband, try switching to Orange Wireless & Talk (£17.99 per month). That gives you an 0845 number via broadband and the pain-in-the-bum callers won't have it in their database.
    Some firms just dial random 01 / 02 numbers then log your number if you answer - they won't do it to an 0845 number though as they will think it's not a private line.

View onlinegifts's Feedback (+501)
    All-About onlinegifts
    View onlinegifts's Listings
    Forum Posts

I did have the same problem but the TPS as mentioned before solved it for me and if any slip through tell them your on the TPS and they will hang up as its a big fine for the company if they get found calling members of the TPS.
    its not instant and you review it once a year but it stops 9/10 of them............good luck
    BIG SALE now on in my Bargain Shop

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/main.cg...tle-girls-Shop

Usborne books at home Mummy says its only 5.00 to join till 9th March.
    PM me for details xxx

Quote Originally Posted by onlinegifts View Post
    I did have the same problem but the TPS as mentioned before solved it for me and if any slip through tell them your on the TPS and they will hang up as its a big fine for the company if they get found calling members of the TPS.
    its not instant and you review it once a year but it stops 9/10 of them............good luck
    TPS doesn't cover calls from overseas companies, which is what is happening in this case.

Just gotta ask Kaz, why isn't changing the number an option? BT do it for free when you've been receiving nuisance calls.

Stu - don't want to change my number as I have had it for nearly 9 years now, loads of people know it - old friends that I have forgotten sometimes call out of the blue, I use it for my sideline business and it is on all my cards and advertising.

It would be more of a pain to change it than just put up with the calls, and I don't see why I should have to.

I need to find out who these people are.

I had an idea though - wonder if I go along with them and say I am really interested in the loan, but because of a recent scam, I need to verify they are genuine before I give any details out - maybe that will make them give me their name and address?

You have to be a bit careful with some of these people as seen on a recent TV prog, your info is not safe in a worldwide market. If you've got a mobile phone or any loan agreements (eg for puter purchase) your private details have probably been sold on to a number of companies.

They quote back at you your bank details etc as if you've dealt with them before 'just need to verify your id' and then try and get other info from you.

Chances are it's a scam with intention to steal your identity. There are plenty of them about.

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Depending on what type of company that is calling I either tell them I am un undischarged bankrupt (works well with loan or timeshare companies) or tell them they neeed to speak to my wife and I will get her for them. I then put the phone back down and check back in 5 minutes to see if they are still there, if they are I dont give them a chance to speak but tell them she is just coming and put the phone down quickly, repeating the exercise every 5 minutes until they get fed up. If I am in the right mood I wont even speak to them but just hang up.

No method is foolproof, but the best one for conservatory salesmen is to let them go through their sales pitch, let them know you are interested and you would really like a large conservatory, ask a about finance etc. Then when they ask you your address tell them you are on the tenth floor of a multi storey block of flats...... that works

One time I gave a young lady who called and was very persistant a right earbashing and hung up on her... 5 minutes later she called back and asked me to apologise for being rude and hanging up on her. I won't tell you what my reply was but she refused to give me her line managers name so I could complain about her. I looked the Company up on the web and phoned the manager direct to complain ..... never heard from them again....... LOL
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

Thread Information