eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: restrict access to post frontpage auctions

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default restrict access to post frontpage auctions

Could the ability to post a fontpage auction - Including 60 minute auctions and happy hours be restricted to sellers who:
    • Have verified their addresses with you
    • Have obtained a minimum level of feedback here on EBID ( I suggest at least 5 positives)
    • Have been an EBID member for a set period of time- say 14 days

I put forward these proposals because at the moment we have a brand new zero feedback seller posting auctions on the front page. The seller is not responding to questions and there is doubt that he/she has the items in question. However because of high visibility the auctions are getting bids - but i worry that the winners will get their goods which will lead to more unnecessary negative posts on this forum about people being scammed.

The advantages of my proposal are:
    • Enhancement of the genuine EBID selers reputations- less negative posts on the forums, less emails to support about non receipt etc..
    • New sellers wanting to use frontpage would have verified their addresses with you - this will put off a few feepay scammer rejects trying to use EBID as a target
    • Genuine new sellers would have no difficulties obtaining some initial feedback- there are thousands of opportunities to obtain good feedback here - buy a bargain or two from our establshed good sellers
    • More frontpage slots for sellers who have earned thge right to post there

The only disadvantage i can think of is EBID need to adapt their systems to recognise a sellers start date and feedback rating before they are allowed to post a frontpage auction.

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Great suggestion, Val!

All-About HannaHolly
    Forum Posts

Can I just say well done to sexywolfy- who found the feepay links for the suspicous buyers auctions- and well done to EBID admin- who have removed the sellers auctions

Is your suggestion not a case of tarring and feathering all new customers with the same brush? oddly enough we new customers are not all scammers and cads , ebid are trying to attract new customers not scare them away.

All-About HannaHolly
    Forum Posts

I dont think so wolfbabe. in fact i think it could attract more new sellers because it gives out a message on quality. Getting your address verified- & waiting a week or so before using front page (hopefully using this time to gain a little feedback - or demonstrate good f/b from another site if you prefer) won't scare away good quality new sellers- it should reassure them this is a good place to sell.

I'm very keen to welcome new buyers and sellers to EBID- I've only been here about 9 months myself :-). I have all my auctions open to all buyers and i try to support EBID sellers by buying from them.

Wolfbabe sometimes i see high value frontpage auctions from zero f/b sellers - who dont respond to questions etc..- and then i see new buyers bidding on these auctions.. then a few weeks later that dissolusioned new buyer is posting on these forums about how they've been ripped off . I would welcome any steps that make it harder for a dishonest seller ( and I dont think of them as EBID sellers- they arent here long enough!) to take advantage of new buyers
    Last edited by val4xx; 3rd February 2006 at 12:25 AM. Reason: adding info

well said val4xx

i have lost track of the amount of con artists that i have reported to ebid,just had another one today

http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/accoun...8888501-7048-0

View cccgem's Feedback (+3)
    All-About cccgem
    View cccgem's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it might depend upon the site that you are on. While the U.K. site has been running for a while, the U.S., Canada, Australia, Ireland sites have not been running long. Virtually all of these users have lower feedback ratings, and limiting new users here would be bad advertising for eBid in the U.S.

Thread Information