Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: On Line Gaming....We Don't stand a chance ?

Market Drayton, Shropshire, United Kingdom
    View Paulwillhappy's Feedback (+28)
    All-About Paulwillhappy
    View Paulwillhappy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up On Line Gaming....We Don't stand a chance ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4341558.stm

I have AOL 2 Meg which is Powered round the house by a Wireless router system.

My X Box is Plugged straight into it, When Playing our American cousins they Play at such a fast rate, Eg you are dead when you enter a Game, Their connections are so much faster.

In fact so fast that 2 Meg is like watching an old Charlie Chaplin movie.

For Competitions this Gives the Yanks a Very Unfair advantage. Their Speeds are now 20+Meg.

Vital when Playing at Top Level.

Anyone else frustrated by our lack of Speed here in the UK with Broadband ?
    Never take your loo for granted Camping sucks.......

Eg you are dead when you enter a Game,
    That's most likely to be down to them waiting at the spawning point for you to materialise.

I'm still on dialup. Telewest don't do it in my area yet, and I would need to go back to expensive line rental BT before signing up to anybody else. I don't need broadband anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulwillhappy
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4341558.stm
    Anyone else frustrated by our lack of Speed here in the UK with Broadband ?
    Yep, and I'm currently on NTL 3mb/s. (Still whip the Yanks on "Call of Duty" tho. )

8mb/s broadband is available here, but BT seems to be 'throttling' the speed down to 2mb/s and charging over the odds for that.

Vic.

Same here, tho I'm on 1meg. I find the 1meg isnt that bad a speed, its the 25k/s send cap on UK ADSL thats the issue.

I was going to get 8mbit as I do a lot of file sharing as well as gaming, but since thats also capped at 25k/s for sends it wouldnt make a lot of difference.

Been trying to get Telewest to cable my little street for years. Since I'm in Bath a lot of the houses are Listed and Telewest wont touch it.

Some roads here have cable half way up one side, the other half of the street and the other side can't get it!

We are not allowed sat. dishes as they spoil the look of the area (which is mostly one big conservation area) so theres not a lot of options, especially as the cost of SDSL is frightening

Code:
    Be, the UK’s new broadband provider, broke the speed record yesterday when their first customer, Stefan, connected to the Internet in Clerkenwell with a download speed of 18.5 meg. “I didn’t think it would make that much difference, but it’s actually really excellent. After 20 minutes, I was utterly sold” said Stefan. Be is the first Internet service provider in the UK to take advantage of ADSL2+ technology
    http://www.net4now.com/index.asp?sid=39

Quote Originally Posted by paladinz2k
    Code:
    Be, the UK’s new broadband provider, broke the speed record yesterday when their first customer, Stefan, connected to the Internet in Clerkenwell with a download speed of 18.5 meg. “I didn’t think it would make that much difference, but it’s actually really excellent. After 20 minutes, I was utterly sold” said Stefan. Be is the first Internet service provider in the UK to take advantage of ADSL2+ technology
    'Scuse me while I drool over the thought of that.

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

The maximum I can get is 576

Same here Shelleywelly. Last spring they said we would be lucky to get the really low one, but after BT did £thousands in cable upgrades for Prince Andrew, we could get 576 too. Funny how they said it was not possible to upgrade the cable until Prince Andrew threw all his toys, blankie and dummy out of the pram, and BT suddenly found it was possible after all.

Thread Information