Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: TECHIE HELP PLS PC Drive error + Memory Problem ?

Question TECHIE HELP PLS PC Drive error + Memory Problem ?

My sons computer is quite old but a good one so dont want to write it off just yet.

I tried to do system restore on it as i have not been able to install the dell printer i got for him ages ago. Still brand new unused so thought if i was to format drive might be ok.

ANYWAY .... His pc would not boot from system restore pack so after about 10 tries i decided to remove all his programmes and just leave us with the bare bones.

BUT ... The problem seems to be his PC cant no longer read from the D Drive . It says that d drive is not ready or acssesable.

Now when it boots up it reads from the A drive ( floppy ) and then says it can not find E drive.

There is no 2nd drive he only has 1 cd rom D Drive.

I went into Device manager to see what it said and named the d drive e drive to see if that would sort it . It wont.

The d drive ejects and it doesnt look faulty so any ideas what it could be ?

2ND PROBLEM :

My pc keeps telling me that windows memory is running low.
    I have only 1 or 2 internet windows open when this happens and i have my firewall running etc. I only formated my pc about 3 wks ago so still dont have many programmes installed.

So i have no idea why this keeps happening. Also PC going sluggish. It was faster than this B4 i did formating.etc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE if any one can throw light on either problem.

elaine x

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

u need a aps chuck
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

When you try to boot the machine what happens?

What make/model is the CD/DVD drive?

It may need to be flashed or it could be spent. But first it might be wise to check all the cables to/from the motherboard to the drive are securely in place.

As for the dell printer, was it one of the ones going for a tenner? if so these are rebadged lexmarks which I have read somewhere are not Win98 friendly.

2nd problem, could be a number of things, first how much RAM memory do you have in your machine?

You might want to try downloading this software (called hijackthis) which should help anyone trying to resolve the problem for you. There's a write up of the software before you download it which will explain in general non-techie terms what it's for.

View jongla's Feedback (+52)
    All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

1st Problem....sounds like a BIOS screwup. Need to go into BIOS at startup, and check to see wht the bootup sequence is. Then, see what drivers are installed. It could be that when doing a system restore the CD Rom drivers got 'lost'. From memory I think it is something like MSCDEX.dll.

2nd Problem.....Sounds like a cache 'hiccup'. You need to re-adjust the cache settings to give your memory the best possible workout.

Thumbs up

Oh right thanks ( tries not to laugh ) youre talking to an utter numptey when it comes to pc stuff.

I get the part about checking leads and that its possible that the cd rom is basicaly done with and needs replacing.

will check that out ... thanks.

Re : the bios stuff i wouldnt have the foggiest about that so i darent even try. lol

But thanks anyway.

PC = PENTIUM (R) 4 CPU
    1.80 GHz
    RAM 128 mb = ( I know thats low but it works ok 90% ).

Maybe : new cd rom 4 my son and more ram 4 me would be the cure. MORE Bleedin' money

ps : yes ben it was the dell £10 one. Mel ( funky ) got it for me.
    She downloaded me some updated drivers 4 it and i thought i had sorted it , but no.

I'll go download that link you gave too. thanks.

Thread Information