Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Inconsistency of showing number of list items between open view and summary view

Default Inconsistency of showing number of list items between open view and summary view

First screenshot shows the summary view of most my items listed, the number is 1182.

Second screenshot shows the open view (after I click the "Computer Components & Parts" link. The number is now 1224.

They are not synchronised well.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

View BigKidsAttic's Feedback (+3731)
    All-About BigKidsAttic
    View BigKidsAttic's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Inconsistency of showing number of list items between open view and summary view

Quote Originally Posted by MintTechUK View Post
    First screenshot shows the summary view of most my items listed, the number is 1182.

Second screenshot shows the open view (after I click the "Computer Components & Parts" link. The number is now 1224.

They are not synchronised well.
    Just a theory,
    But maybe it's to do with Main category and secondary category.

Not everyone list an itme in just one category (I do though). Some list as a Main category - say for a Dinky toy car it would be "Toys and Hobbies-Diecast Models & Toys" as the main category, then it could also (for a small fee) be listed in the "Antiques-Diecast Models" category.

Therefore the Diecast Models in toys and hobbies shows as 4470 listings, but when you click on it it then becomes 7697 listings as potentialy the additional listings are listed with the main category of Antiques.

Like I said, just a theory, so could be completely wrong, and I for one do not have the time to go through all the listings to see if they are listed in 2 different categories.
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

View theElench's Feedback (+94)
    All-About theElench
    View theElench's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Inconsistency of showing number of list items between open view and summary view

I think you're right and isn't this part of the minus numbers of listings 'problem' ?

@mintec should consider themselves lucky. At least the summary panel shows Computing and when a would-be buyer clicks on it sees the message "All Sub-cats. in computing" and ALL with positive numbers.

Have a look at the mess a would-be buyer of glass is confronted with in the Pottery,Porcelain & Glass category.
    Lovely pictures but, the panel says 1139 listings. Click on it and what does the buyer see.

Sub-cats. for China & Porcelain -7792
    Date lined Ceramics 140
    Pottery -791
    Stoneware 81

That may puzzle the buyer but at least they can SEE the sub-cats with a number which gives them a clue that there MIGHT be some listings to browse.
    But WHAT HAPPENED to Glass ?

Sub-cats. -593
    Only 3 sub-cats shown
    Art glass 559
    Glassware -1027
    Other -125

Where are all the others? Hidden under Glassware, making it look like there is none for sale on the site.

I've asked for this to be rectified and ALL the sub-cats to be shown, one click from the summary panel not two and hidden another click away under a minus number years ago. NOTHING WAS DONE.

My guess is that whoever designed the Pottery, Porcelain & Glass page did a reasonable job of pottery and porcelain on a Friday morning but wanted to get away early on Friday afternoon so just chucked three random subs. under the Glass picture and dumped all the others under glassware.

I believe most of my buyers come here via GS which is lucky, because if they relied on ebid's "Browse Categories" they wouldn't know there was much glass for sale on ebid at all.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Thread Information