Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Post a user's suggestion regarding eBid search feature

Exclamation Post a user's suggestion regarding eBid search feature

Below is what he said.

I have been with ebid for over 6 yrs. now, and among having very low sales rate, I find ebid's search engine absolutely horrible. Unless you put in exactly the title of the item you'll never find it. Nothing will come up if it miss spelled. If they fixed the search engine, buyers would probably stay to buy. As it is, I'm frustrated after the first search. Example: I was looking for a Samsung J1 glass replacement. I put in Samsuang (miss spelled) (No results), I put in Samsung J1parts (No results), I put in Samsung glass replacement (no Results) and so on and so on.... Finally I put in Samsung J1 and got results. I can put in any combination, miss spelled, side ways, up side down, what ever into eBay and always get results.
    The Samsung is a small example, try something harder.........forget it, ebid results will be null.

On the other hand I have also been with eBay since 1999 and have made some very satisfying sales. But I'm displeased with the excessive fees, the dictatorship and eBay posting another sellers same item right on my auction page, in the middle of my auction and just under my auction , and especially dissatisfied with the final value on shipping. That is just wrong.
    I recently stop selling on eBay. I'm currently back on ebid after a couple of yrs. not selling with them in hopes they would of straighten out their search engine problem. But they have not !

View theElench's Feedback (+94)
    All-About theElench
    View theElench's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Post a user's suggestion regarding eBid search feature

I must say I find that very strange. IMO the search on ebid is excellent, not distorted by Promoted Listings, key-word based and very intuitive. I often say on the obay boards that the reason I sell so much more on ebid is that buyers come here and can find my stuff, whereas that's not true on obay.

Taking one of my listings "Art Deco Davidson Amber Cloud Glass Bowl Pattern No. 1907T", I searched ebid from the HP search box for:

art deco glass
    davidson glass
    amber glass
    cloud glass
    glass bowl 1907t
    davidson cloud glass
    art deco glass bowl
    amber glass bowl
    amber cloud glass
    davidson glass bowl

It came up (usually on page 1) every time.

I then searched google shopping for:

davidson cloud glass
    davidson amber cloud glass
    davidson glass bowl

Again my bowl is shown in the results every time usually on P.1

Using the key-words in my title is there any one or combination of them where the ebid search doesn't show my bowl in its results ?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Default Re: Post a user's suggestion regarding eBid search feature

Quote Originally Posted by MintTechUK View Post
    Below is what he said.

I have been with ebid for over 6 yrs. now, and among having very low sales rate, I find ebid's search engine absolutely horrible. Unless you put in exactly the title of the item you'll never find it. Nothing will come up if it miss spelled. If they fixed the search engine, buyers would probably stay to buy. As it is, I'm frustrated after the first search. Example: I was looking for a Samsung J1 glass replacement. I put in Samsuang (miss spelled) (No results), I put in Samsung J1parts (No results), I put in Samsung glass replacement (no Results) and so on and so on.... Finally I put in Samsung J1 and got results. I can put in any combination, miss spelled, side ways, up side down, what ever into eBay and always get results.
    The Samsung is a small example, try something harder.........forget it, ebid results will be null.

On the other hand I have also been with eBay since 1999 and have made some very satisfying sales. But I'm displeased with the excessive fees, the dictatorship and eBay posting another sellers same item right on my auction page, in the middle of my auction and just under my auction , and especially dissatisfied with the final value on shipping. That is just wrong.
    I recently stop selling on eBay. I'm currently back on ebid after a couple of yrs. not selling with them in hopes they would of straighten out their search engine problem. But they have not !
    Perhaps you should post the needed words to the "search improvement" thread

Thread Information