Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
Assuming that you were responding to my post...

As I am sure you know, language evolves and current popular usage can take precedence over historical usage.

Just ran a couple of dictionary searches on 'propaganda' and both gave the prime definition as the dissemination of biased information - as opposed to general information. It's fine being pedantic about language, but if that means your meaning is lost to your audience then what's the point?

That said... I still refuse to engage in 'street talk'. :-)
Sorry - my initial reply (without quote) was to your statement. There are dictionaries and dictionaries! When I was teaching I kept a variety on my desktop to which sixth formers might refer. This was because different dictionaries have different strengths and weaknesses and it is worthwhile to teach these as well as to teach correct usage.

My main reference was to Chambers 21st Century Dictionary, one I espouse particularly as it covers literary usage from the time of Shakespeare to the present as well as the more everyday vocabulary one might expect. I have still a couple of editions of their 20th Century editions as well. A Thesaurus may also "clue one in" to usage. Checking the online Thesaurus within the OED we find the following:
"information, promotion, advertising, advertisement, publicity, advocacy;spin, newspeak, agitprop, disinformation, counter-information, brainwashing, indoctrination, the big lie
informal info, hype, plugging"

As with all such publications, it is the first word, in heavy type, which is closest in meaning, the other meanings "falling away" in precision. The only dictionary definition given is : "Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view:he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"
This is listed as a "mass" noun, i.e. it is not normally pluralised, hardly surprising as it is already plural! I cannot recall ever having seen the singular in English. Unfortunately I cannot afford the subscription to gain access to the complete set of definitions.

Of course, all disseminated information is edited and shortened, fed in easily digestible snippets, so I hate to think what this pamphlet is going to be like!It cannot be worse than the first I recall, issued in WWII: "What to do if the Germans Come". It was wonderful, containing such gems as "Immobilise your bicycle so that only you can use it" and "Refuse to take orders from anybody other than a British Officer!" Hilarious stuff!