Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Is now the time to add at least one more online payment method?

Forum Newbie
    View tecsic's Feedback (+6)
    All-About tecsic
    View tecsic's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is now the time to add at least one more online payment method?

I know since June in the UK, PayPal have upped the "return" period to 180 days. Now it's our turn in the US starting some time in November. This 6 month period to use/abuse products and then claim SNAD/etc is beyond a joke. It should be unlawful.

Anyhow, I can see a LOT of sellers wanting to get as far away from PayPal as possible...and this is obviously something that can't be done on ebay. ebid, PLEASE look into incorporating at least one other payment processor (apart from Google and Skrill) so you can push that as a major selling point in getting people to cross over. Having a choice is always better than having no choice at all. Dwolla or Stripe maybe?

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is now the time to add at least one more online payment method?

I think it would be good for eBid to offer an internal payment system. They could charge the flat rate + 1% fee on top for transactions. All buyers and sellers automatically part of it. All buyers/sellers have to do is add their bank and card details the way they would if they were signing up to the Target or Toys R Us sites etc. eBid sellers would obviously not have direct access to the buyers' bank and card info, same way as it is with the external third party providers. This could then replace external third party robbing payment providers with ridiculous policies that are wide open to abuse. Plus it would provide eBid with some additional revenue with 1% on transaction fees, or even 2%, if transactions could be done internally.

We'd like to get away from paypal altogether as their percentage can be high when you factor in an item we might sell for £39.99 which has a £9-£10 profit margin and 3.4% takes a good quarter of that profit margin, hence why we no longer trade on eBay anymore as then we'd be losing a good £5.00 out of a £9-£10 profit margin item with their excessive fvf's. If we could afford our own website, we'd never offer paypal as an option or any other third party payment provider. We'd only accept credit and debit cards, but we'd pay the membership to sign up to VeriSign, something eBid could also do so shoppers know eBid is a trusted site.

I know if I owned and ran a site like eBid I would have an internal payment system. It would be no different from signing up to and paying online at Target (USA) or Boots, Arogos online here in the UK. The EU distance selling regulations are a joke and paypal essentially doing the same thing. Always stuff that just seems to target sellers in a negative way that will be open to abuse by a minority of buyers.
    Last edited by rokins_toys; 22nd September 2014 at 04:11 AM.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

If I am correct, eBid own pppay online payment processor but is only good for the UK. (someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong)

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    If I am correct, eBid own pppay online payment processor but is only good for the UK. (someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong)
    Sterling and Euros only. https://www.pppay.com/

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use pppay regularly and like it. I also have an etsy account where payments are made straight into my bank account and it is very easy to sign up
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tecsic View Post
    I know since June in the UK, PayPal have upped the "return" period to 180 days. Now it's our turn in the US starting some time in November. This 6 month period to use/abuse products and then claim SNAD/etc is beyond a joke. It should be unlawful.

Anyhow, I can see a LOT of sellers wanting to get as far away from PayPal as possible...and this is obviously something that can't be done on ebay. ebid, PLEASE look into incorporating at least one other payment processor (apart from Google and Skrill) so you can push that as a major selling point in getting people to cross over. Having a choice is always better than having no choice at all. Dwolla or Stripe maybe?
    As I had never heard of Stripe, I have just had a quick look at their website. It might be worth looking at. I can foresee two main problems. First, Paypal has so brainwashed buyers about security that many buyers insist in using Paypal and there would be an immediate loss of sales if any seller refuses to use Paypal. Second, I had never heard of Stripe which obviously has the same problem as eBid, very few people have heard of it.
    Dwolla is not suitable for incorporation into eBid as it is only available in USA.

Even if Stripe and Dwolla are not incorporated into eBid, there is nothing to stop any seller accepting payment by these payment processors, provided the buyer agrees.

View Policequilts's Feedback (+996)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

I very new here and in the USA.
    I have heard wonderful things about Stripe and it is compared to Paypal.

Stripe charges .30 + 2.9% like

With Stripe, you can accept payments from almost any credit card and debit card, no matter where your customer lives. In order to accept payments with Stripe, however, you or your business must be based in one of the countries Stripe supports.

We’re live in:
    •Australia
    •Canada
    •Ireland
    •United Kingdom
    •United States

We’re available in open beta in:
    •Belgium
    •Finland
    •France
    •Germany
    •Luxembourg
    •The Netherlands
    •Spain

on eCommercebyte.com the 2014 Sellers Choice in Payments rate Stripe #1
    http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/ab...09/abu0366/s02

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep eBid do own it, but it is the same as PayPal at the end of the day although probably a little better than paypal lol, but nothing like the internal integrated payment system I am talking about which is used by hundreds of thousands of retail business around the world. If for example you shopped at Boots online, you'd be paying by credit/debit card directly via the internal integrated system, not some third party provider like pppay or paypal.

I'm actually signed up to pppay but just have not had time to sort it out and get it on the listings.

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information