Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keywords

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Keywords

Thanks for that Dean, I don't know if it is still the same but when I was listing a few years ago there was a box available in which to place "keywords". Not knowing anything about them I ignored it and just put all the relevant info in my description and title. It was this that I was reffering to; incidentally if I have to use the word "and" or "first" would I be best also including "&" or "1st" as well. To cover all eventualities of searches?
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Thanks for that Dean, I don't know if it is still the same but when I was listing a few years ago there was a box available in which to place "keywords". Not knowing anything about them I ignored it and just put all the relevant info in my description and title. It was this that I was reffering to; incidentally if I have to use the word "and" or "first" would I be best also including "&" or "1st" as well. To cover all eventualities of searches?
    On 1st or First - use both.

And
    or & - for Google purposes either will do as long as it is relevant to the product, however for onsite eBid searches then if the and is relevant to the item title then include an and. eBid search ignores the search term & completely.

For example if someone searches for Dolce & Gabbana then eBid converts that search into Dolce Gabbana. If they search Dolce and Gabbana then the search is as typed, ie: if the and isn't in the title then the listing won't show on a search. On that specific product because the & is part of a brand name and therefore relevant I would include that and then use a dummy stock code at the end of the title AND 1 - that way the title reads better but the and is covered by my code at the end. Or even more ideal is if the product in two colours, then you can put Blue and Red, so again the and is covered.

But for the vast majority, unless the &/and is relevant to the item then a searcher won't include it in the search box.

This is excellent info! Thank you so much everyone!. Now other than in the (short) title space we have, is there any other place where we can enter both generic and specific keywords? I can use all the help you can provide..
    Last edited by ArtObjects; 23rd April 2014 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtObjects View Post
    This is excellent info! Thank you so much everyone!. Now other than in the (short) title space we have, is there any other place where we can enter both generic and specific keywords? I can use all the help you can provide..

The title space is quite long so should be adequate to cover most keywords - any longer and it would be in danger of overkill and over using keywords. However if you do find yourself short of space then it is worth remembering that search engines pick up a certain amount of detail from the listing description.

So if you had a full title but still wanted to include another keyword then this would be the thing to do

(example title)

Brown Teddy Bear Jointed Collectible Toy Red Tartan Bow Scottish Sunkid

But maybe I wanted 6 inch tall to be picked up by search engines.

So all I would do is add another heading at the top of the description in the listing:

6 inch tall Brown Teddy Bear Jointed Collectible Toy Red Tartan Bow Scottish Sunkid

Now a search engine like Google will pick up the extra keywords.

View Teddyrose54's Feedback (+158)
    All-About Teddyrose54
    View Teddyrose54's Listings
    Forum Posts

I do collect vintage teddies, just one of my main passions. I look for vintage or even old in the title. I also look for labels, as that adds to the value of a bear or better yet, providence.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyrose54 View Post
    I do collect vintage teddies, just one of my main passions. I look for vintage or even old in the title. I also look for labels, as that adds to the value of a bear or better yet, providence.
    Ditto this, when searching for vintage jools I search vintage as well.

Many thanks to Deano for providing examples of generic and specific keywords, may start tweaking my listings with these in mind...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Thread Information