Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Search Facility Default

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11880)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Search Facility Default

I wonder how easy it is to Change the 'Search eBid here' function so that by Default the 'Search Descriptions' box is checked - at present it is necessary to use the advanced search option and check it manually.

Using keywords in the listings is a way of getting buyers to find your items - it can't all go in the title after all!

I suspect that the advanced Search is not always used straight away by many potential buyers and so if it's not at the top level (title) it doesn't get seen.

I know that it will mean more items than necessary may be displayed - but is that a bad thing after all? - the search can be filtered further of course.

Hope it can be achievable please

Default Re: Search Facility Default

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    I wonder how easy it is to Change the 'Search eBid here' function so that by Default the 'Search Descriptions' box is checked - at present it is necessary to use the advanced search option and check it manually.

Using keywords in the listings is a way of getting buyers to find your items - it can't all go in the title after all!

I suspect that the advanced Search is not always used straight away by many potential buyers and so if it's not at the top level (title) it doesn't get seen.

I know that it will mean more items than necessary may be displayed - but is that a bad thing after all? - the search can be filtered further of course.

That would effectively make the search engine useless to buyers and they wouldn't be able to find anything. Buyers would leave en-mass if the search engine is not relevant to what they are specifically searching for.

Just one example......

I know of a buyer on eBid who searches for postage due, that is his interest.

As the search is at the moment it brings up relevant listings that he is interested in, totaling 1,832 items.

Now if it the search default was changed to include search descriptions that listing count would jump to over 98,000 items, most of which is totally irrelevant to what he searched for (unless he happens to also like tiara's etc). It wouldn't be worth his while shopping on eBid, much better to go to another site whose search engine works properly. There are many examples that can be used along these lines.

The search engine has to work for buyers and give them relevant results, it gets really dangerous when a search engine is altered for sellers.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11880)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    That would effectively make the search engine useless to buyers and they wouldn't be able to find anything. Buyers would leave en-mass if the search engine is not relevant to what they are specifically searching for.

Just one example......

I know of a buyer on eBid who searches for postage due, that is his interest.

As the search is at the moment it brings up relevant listings that he is interested in, totalling 1,832 items.

Now if it the search default was changed to include search descriptions that listing count would jump to over 98,000 items, most of which is totally irrelevant to what he searched for (unless he happens to also like tiara's etc). It wouldn't be worth his while shopping on eBid, much better to go to another site whose search engine works properly. There are many examples that can be used along these lines.

The search engine has to work for buyers and give them relevant results, it gets really dangerous when a search engine is altered for sellers.
    Not so - to use your example: your buyer is interested in postage due - mostly related to stamps, yes?

Well, as you say, the top level shows up 1382 items from the titles - BUT the lower level search reveals, as you say, 98K+ - BUT - if you select the Stamps category from the Search Subcats on the left side - you get (currently) 13243 results! - and no tiaras either!

More Choice for the buyer!

Much better for both the buyer and the seller I would say.

The only way this will fall over for the buyer if the results are not to his/her liking or taste.

Top level searches are limited to merely what is in the title after all - the description as you know says a lot more; using keywords to get the buyer in front of that listing is what it's all about isn't it?

If the buyer doesn't opt to search descriptions, then he/she may be missing out on that elusive item - remember, even at top level, further filtering is necessary to get to the right Subcategory of their interest don't forget - like no tiaras!

Here's an example in Collectables/Postcards: do a top level search for the publisher Degen - in the top level 15 results are found and there is only 1 in the Collectables/Postcards category - change the search to include descriptions - bosh! - now we have 56 in total and in Collectables/Postcards we have 30 to choose from - how does that hurt the buyer, I wonder?

ps - apologies to Tiaras - they look lovely!

So the buyer then has to navigate to the stamps section (which he shouldn't have to do - as it is not only stamps that are of interest but also postcards and ephemera) and he will be confronted with lots of listings that are of absolutely no interest because they have nothing to do with postage due items. As I look at the first page (at the present time of writing) of the results it brings up in the stamps section 36 of the 50 are not postage due items.

It would make the search engine useless because the results would not be relevant. Because of commonly used words within descriptions certain items would be impossible to sell. Also a seller could effectively manipulate listings so that, no matter what search term is used, their listings would come up in the search. This would take about half an hour to do - and no one would be able to see how it was done.

With the present system buyers get the relevant results - if they then want to wade through lots of listings they have the choice to go to advanced search and do so. But to confront them immediately with lots of stuff that they have not searched for would lead to chaos and it is the reason why auction/listing sites wouldn't automatically default to include 'search descriptions'.

It would lead to less sales - not more. The search engine has to be relevant otherwise everything falls apart.

Forum Lurker
    View cockneyone's Feedback (+330)
    All-About cockneyone
    View cockneyone's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    So the buyer then has to navigate to the stamps section (which he shouldn't have to do - as it is not only stamps that are of interest but also postcards and ephemera) and he will be confronted with lots of listings that are of absolutely no interest because they have nothing to do with postage due items. As I look at the first page (at the present time of writing) of the results it brings up in the stamps section 36 of the 50 are not postage due items.

It would make the search engine useless because the results would not be relevant. Because of commonly used words within descriptions certain items would be impossible to sell. Also a seller could effectively manipulate listings so that, no matter what search term is used, their listings would come up in the search. This would take about half an hour to do - and no one would be able to see how it was done.

With the present system buyers get the relevant results - if they then want to wade through lots of listings they have the choice to go to advanced search and do so. But to confront them immediately with lots of stuff that they have not searched for would lead to chaos and it is the reason why auction/listing sites wouldn't automatically default to include 'search descriptions'.

It would lead to less sales - not more. The search engine has to be relevant otherwise everything falls apart.
    As a buyer - we filter permanantly to get to where we want - it's how you catch the fish.

If only I could filter out those sellers that permanently list items that I will never buy as well!

But if I was a postage due collector like your customer, it is no big deal to view those 13K+ items - much better than a mere 1k+ - that's what filters are there for - and I would stand a chance of finding what I want.

Once you've got it - save it as a favourite search - simple.

Then - search them Daily by those that are ending soonest as an example - no problem - more chance to get you a sale.

"catch a spratt to catch a mackerel"

Forum Lurker
    View cockneyone's Feedback (+330)
    All-About cockneyone
    View cockneyone's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post

As a buyer - I am not averse to this idea - saves me having to click on Advanced Search - wait - then click the relevant box

Thread Information