Thread: Last few weeks of posting before it's collection only

Forum Lurker
    Edinburgh, Edinburgh (City of), United Kingdom
    View doggiemad's Feedback (+1408)
    All-About doggiemad
    View doggiemad's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Last few weeks of posting before it's collection only

Hi everyone and i have items for everyone. i am letting you all know that this is the last time before april when the new postal prices come into effect. the only way for me to keep selling is just to offer collection only or offer items with no paypal payment cause whos really going to pay over a fiver for a couple of pound item just becuase it's a bit bulky and from what i've found out a £2.70 item to send could end up costing £5.20 minimum. so by april 1st i will still offer to post if you wish but will no longer take paypal as payment either on these items so i can offer a cheaper postage that doesn't have to be tracked.

items needing special delivery postage prices will go up to reflect these items. and will still be offered for paypal payments

so please check my stuff out i don't mind offers that are reasonable but don't offer me daft prices as i won't even reply.

http://real-silver-and-gold.ebid.net/
    http://vintage-collectables.ebid.net/
    http://old-stuff.ebid.net/
    http://the-household.ebid.net/

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Last few weeks of posting before it's collection only

PayPal does not have the legal right to force you to use tracked methods of postage. I always ignore PayPal policies regarding postage, PayPal are not the postal service and they are not the postal regulator and they are not the government legislation, so as long as you abide by the policies of the actual postal service/regulator and comply with government legislation, then what PayPal "thinks" you should do or tries to "force" you to do postage wise is irrelevant. If we have problems with something not being delivered, missing/damaged during transist, we deal with the postal service, and WE make claims (we never let buyers deal with claims, especially via PayPal, we deal with everything through the legal and proper channels of the postal service) via them and when necessary, we refund customers directly, we never do anything via PayPal because a lot of their policies are so ridiculous they violate government legislation, go against policies and what you should do in the event of loss or damaged goods. If a buyer ever filed a claim via PayPal for an item not being delivered, we'd tell them it is not our way to do things via PayPal because an item not being delivered is down to the postal service, not the seller, and the buyer has no legal right to file claims without going through the due processes of the contacting the seller directly so the seller can go through such processes with the postal service first. PayPal have zero jurisdiction in the event of an item not being delivered or an item arriving damaged during transit.

And the number one reason we never do "claims" via PayPal is the outright unfairness of PayPal's policies of them always siding with the buyer even when you provide proof signed and stamped by a post office that an item was sent and PayPal just ignore such things, which is illegal for them to do so. PayPal polices are a joke, especially for postage, they are nothing more than guidleines for sellers as guides are all they are legally entitled to provide, they cannot invent and enforce policies regarding postage. If PayPal causes you any problems, you just need to cite, sorry, you are not the postal services, as a seller, business or private, by law, you have to go through the proper channels with the postal service with regards to items not being delivered or arriving damaged, this sorts out the fradulent claims of non-delivery of items from genuine ones. This means PayPal have no legal right to automatically take money from your account to refund buyers claiming items have not arrived, it doesn't matter what their policies say and if PayPal want to kick up a stick with you, then just mention: "By law, I have to follow the policies of the postal service regarding the non-delivery of items which provide me with certain rights and protection and those rights and protections are guranteed under government law and legilsation. The buyer has no right to file claims without going through the due process of contacting me directly to report an item not delivered so I can go through the due process, the correct and legal process, with the postal service and only the outcome of the postal service investigation can and will decide whether I should send replacements if available or give a ful refund. And that is after the buyer has gone through the process of contacting their local delivery depot to see if their item is there and items that are missed off delivery routes are often kept at the delivery depot for about 2 weeks before being retuned to sender." And you end by saying to PayPal, "you have no legal jurisdiction in this area and I will not allow you to bully me into follow your misguided and unfair policies and if you do not back down, I will have my solicitors get involved and have them explain to you how things work." By law, you have to be given the opportunity to sort things out with the postal services before any replacements or refunds are given. And this is something else you can state to PayPal as well and make clear to customers in your terms and conditions.

We have never had any customers make claims against us via PayPal and we wouldn't allow them to either. In the 4+ years we have been on here we have only ever had 3 customers state an item has not been delivered within the expected time frame laid out by the postal service. The one was just delayed because of back logs and weather conditions, the other two, were missed off the delivery route and was at the customers local delivery depot of which we advised them to contact their local delivery depot to make sure the items where there or not first before we went through Royal Mail to file a claim. As a seller, you need to make sure you are in control of such things, do not let buyers file claims with PayPal without the buyer contacting you to give you the opportunity to follow the postal services policies which you are legally obligated to do and which they are legally obligated to let you do. And never let PayPal bully you as their policies are a joke anyway.

I think all sellers, whether they are business or private, should make it clear in their terms and conditions, or somewhere on their About Me page that in the event of an item not being delivered or an item being delivered in damaged condition, then the buyer is to contact the seller directly so the seller can go through the correct procedures with the postal services and arrange replacements or refunds whichever is necessary depending on the outcome of things with the postal service, and the postal service will reimburse for lost items as they will for you having to send replacements. This will help put a stop to a lot of false claims. Buyers hide behind PayPal like they are the law of the universe, buyers forget that legally, as a seller, you're legally allowed to and by law must pursue matters via the postal service and PayPal having nothing to do with it at all with regards to non-delivery of an item or an item arriving damaged.

Anyways, I hope the above helps you, and other sellers out. As I know a lot of sellers do not know their legal rights and are not aware of correct procedures in the event of loss or damage during transit, doesn't matter if you are a business or private seller, the above applies to both. So make sure you follow the policies of the postal service in the event of dealing with items "lost during transit" and tell PayPal where they can shove their policies and their claims system as by law, you need to do things via the postal service and you will only deal with such matters through the postal service regardless of whether the buyer has opened a claim or not via PayPal, PayPal just has no jurisdiction here and they know it and if a buyer is reluctant to let you go through the proper channels with the postal service, then it is because they are filing a false claim via PayPal which is fraud for trying to get their money back, and theft, by keeping the item, so then you go straight to the police and make sure PayPal know you are bringing in the police. I know a lot of sellers do suffer at the hands of buyers making dodgy claims, so the sellers feel the need to follow the silly policies of PayPal, but hopefully all the above will open the eyes of sellers and help them realise, no, PayPal cannot do what they do and have done to sellers regarding non-delivery of items, their is a correct process via the postal service that has to be followed, so you just tell PayPal to keep their noses out otherwise their noses will get broken.

I understand the need for tracked services on higher priced items of a certain value and orders containing many items that have a combined certain value, that's fine, it's what tracked services are for, but for everything else, Royal Mail's certificate of posting is fine as you have proof an item was shipped as you have the post office stamp mark and initials of staff to always provide proof an item was sent in the event of a buyer claiming something has not arrived so as a seller you are fully protected.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information