Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Buddy Points or More Advertising?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of the buddy points system and concentrate more on advertising.

14 41.18%
  • I want to keep on earning my buddy points & purchase items when I have saved enough points.

17 50.00%
  • I don't care either way.

3 8.82%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Buddy points V Advertising

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Buddy points V Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    No, you're wrong there Jimbo. Buddy links on listings can be very effective especially if you're listing lots of sought after items. I don't know if you remember but there was quite a long period when I was at, or near, the top of the buddy table. That ended when most of the links on my auctions were broken (like cornish). Perhaps you should hang on a bit? I was about to explain how it's done on my blog. It might help to even things up a bit. Sellers should really be getting a buddy point (if they do it right) every time their items attract a new buyer to the site and they make a sale.

i attracted a new buyer to the site today from Japan no buddy point for a new member but the buddy point would be only awarded if they used my link if they dont use the link i leave on every listing no point !i dont belive the links are dud the buyer has a choice to use the link or not they can still sign up via the front door ive had new buyers sign up via my link and i get a buddy point, over all i think people are wary of a new site to them being asked to click on a link that will ask them for personal information thats why in my case its a small % of my new buyers i get a buddy point for and no doubt by the sound of it others have the same experience.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knit_wits View Post
    Jimbo, Hi

I really cannot understand the small-mindedness behind all this. If you were marketing as an employee of eBid, you would earn a salary. You are marketing by advertising their site and bringing in sellers. Thus, you 'earn' Buddy Points.

Be proud
    [QUOTE=knit_wits;1489963]Jimbo, Hi

I really cannot understand the small-mindedness behind all this. If you were marketing as an employee of eBid, you would earn a salary. You are marketing by advertising their site and bringing in sellers. Thus, you 'earn' Buddy Points.

ive seen no small mindedness aimed at anyone i pointed out why there is a concern when it appears one member is running a one horse race and winning thats not small mindedness nor is it petty the problem here arises when one members goal is to sign up new members full stop, there in the same buddy point race as normal buyers and sellers whos aim is to buy or sell and are rewarded with buddy points when they forefill certain conditions this is the reality of the situation which i hope is made a little clearer to you this needed explaining for people who are not able to draw the distinction, the next question i feel needs asking is it fair that a promotor of the site is awarded buddy points within the frame work for normal buyers and sellers or should there efforts be rewarded via the affiliate scheme as the member in question touched apon at post 19 in this thread.is the affiliate scheme as rewarding as the buddy points scheme ?

if people dont realise the personality in question and there reasoning and why should they if there new members ! then this same thread will keep arising time and time again as it has in the past, personally im not bothered what he does i like the buddy point system as it is, the situation in my opinion needed to be clarified .

Forum Lurker
    View MelmacALF's Feedback (+76)
    All-About MelmacALF
    View MelmacALF's Listings
    Forum Posts

A couple of posts about "earning" buddy points using your own websites etc in this thread has reminded me of some things I overheard the contractors at work talking about, but it was a while ago, so please bear with me..

The first thing I seem to remember is that the inland revenue had told them that if they carry out "refer a friend" for reward type activities, then this was considered "working" and any payment for doing this would be taxable.

The second thing they were talking about was that you dont need to get paid cash to trade ie if you provided a service and you get given some goods for doing it as payment this was considered as "payment in kind" (might be wrong term, I'm not sure) and was taxable (at secondhand value ? I think, can't really remember)

So would I be right in thinking that -
    1) Advertising ebid using buddy links would be considered providing a service (ie advertising for & referring people to ebid site) by inland revenue ?
    2) Stuff won using these points would be considered taxable "payment in kind" for this service ?

Now this was a while ago, so I might have got confused, but if im right maybe this should be mentioned in the buddy point help page ?

Forum Lurker
    All-About MelmacALF
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo750 View Post
    @ MelmacALF

Good question as it would affect most that have buddy links on ebid listings to.

As far as i know the buddy items are classed as "gifts" from ebid, T-shirts , Packing tape, coffee-makers.

I suppose to be on the safe side you should declare it at second hand value if you earn enough to pay tax.

Now the ebids commission junction affiliate scheme is taxable as cash changes hands.
    You might be right but there was something about if you get points/rewards for personal stuff it was not taxable (like shop loyalty cards), but if you went out to deliberatly get points/rewards that were not part of your shopping it was ?
    Last edited by MelmacALF; 15th October 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About MelmacALF
    Forum Posts

@ MelmacALF

Is it not classed the same thing as you deliberately put the link on listings or site to get points/rewards ?
    I really dont know, hence the question here to the ebid gurus.

I suppose if they click on your link on your item page to join the site, that is part of buying stuff from you ? whereas directing people to ebid from other sites is nothing to do with your private activity, unless of course they follow a link to one of your items ?

Forum Lurker
    All-About MelmacALF
    Forum Posts

@MelmacALF

I'm not sure,

I suppose it's a bit of a grey area, you could argue that it depend on how you word the link on your listings, is join ebid Click here the same as Click here to buy.
    well there is a difference, I guess its like you said, if in doubt, declare it, dont think there is an easy rule, I just wish I could remember more of their conversation about this type of stuff :-(

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I add the buddy points to my tax form under 'other income' when I cash any points in.

I guesstimate the prize value (current retail price) and use that amount.

I include the email telling me what I have 'bought' with my points with my 'turnover' paperwork.

I do this because I see the buddy points in the same way as I do the vouchers etc I get sent for filling in surveys.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

@ sidthelamp

I do sell and buy here, I wish you would stop with that.

you obviously can not sustain a reasonable debate were i was trying to explain why people do and will see you as a one horse race

you took completely out of contex what i said about you buying and selling its a very rare event you buy or sell anything on this site your FB is 99.9 % from ebid buddy point buys, your picture on your about me page is childish what sort of point are you trying to make with it ? you are threating to leave the site to who ? is that a rallying shout ? did you not say this the last time this debate emerged on the forum, from your valid ideas at post 19 which really showed you understood what the concerns were about and could if you pursued it been a good reference for debate for promoters like yourself instead you have gone down the path of threats and defence, no one has accused you of anything underhand

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now i don't want to be rude like you were to me but one sure fire way of not getting someone to click a buddy link is surrounding it with a bold box with large bold pink text and a lime green HERE link ,

Have a look at the following two examples of how to add a join link, its not hard to earn points. take note , this goes for everyone.

Attachment 36321

If any one wants wants to use this code or mod it feel free, just switch to html and pop it on the end of your description just remember to change the "BUDDY LINK" in the code to your own and start earning more points from your listings.

Code:
    <!--Start buddy code by Jimbo-->
    <br><br>
    <div   class="boxit-only t40 b10 clear auction-description"><b>Need  to Register?</b></div>
    <div> <b  class="green"> Haven't registered yet? </b> 
    <span  style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: small;font-family: Arial;">
      If you like this item and would like to buy or place a bid you need to take a few seconds and 
    <a href="http://BUDDY-LINK-1-HERE">Join</a> eBid. 
    <br><br>Go to the <a  href="http://BUDDY-LINK-2-HERE">Register</a> page to set up  your free eBid account  today!</span>
    <br><br><br><br></div>
    <!--End buddy code-->
    Oi, I think I recognise some of my psychologically active buddy point earning technology there. I was saving that for the blog.

......No, not really. Only joking.
    Last edited by kedo; 16th October 2012 at 12:43 AM.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

A google search of my verbage shows 'about 61,000 results'

A search of your verbage shows ZERO

Yet somehow your results are over 100 times better

How do people find your unfindable links?

Smells rotten
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Thread Information