Thread: Ebid.com???????

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ebid.com???????

Quote Originally Posted by vwbugnut View Post
    It took me 6 months but ICANN forced them to release it. It fell under usage law. This guy is not using this domain name for anything but holding it hostage for monetary gain. We had the same problem with our domain name celestialdiamond.com.Our domain expired and when he were renewing it that same day someone swooped in a registered it under his name and tried to sell it to us. Also If Ebid is a trade mark you have the right to it you can force them to sign it over as this person does not have the right to use your name for financial gain. If ebid is not trade marked I suggest it be done and this headache will be an easy win.

Erik
    I don't think you understand how owning and making money from a domain works.

I have seen articles written by the domain owner of ebid.com and it appears to be a site where he advertises domains he has bought, for sale. Sounds like a legitimate business to me. I see it as no different from any one of the affiliate marketing sites I have seen.

I have owned sites where people paid me to advertise their businesses. Would you have wanted someone to snap up my site?
    Last edited by moonwitch; 2nd August 2012 at 07:25 AM.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

And if Apple start up an auction site, they will call it....

Ibid !

In actual fact, Gazza and Mark were a bit remiss in not grabbing all the domain names they could when they first started ebid. Ebid.org, ebid.com etc.

Weather it was short sightedness, or lack of capital I don't know.

But if they found ebid,com was already used, then they should have thought of another name.
    Last edited by Juliebabe25; 2nd August 2012 at 08:10 AM.

The name could be freed if eBid could prove that he was squatting on the name. What he is doing with it now may be seen as an attempt to show he is using it for legitimate purposes. There are many issues, was eBid.com bought prior to eBid starting, was the .com bought and used in it's current guise from the start, has the owner tried to elicit money from eBid or did they approach him later. If it could be proven that the buyer bought the name with the explicit purpose of selling it at a profit to eBid, it would be released, if he bought it with the aim of using it as his own business, it will be harder. But at the end of the day, there is only really eBid who could have any real value from owning the .com, so if he wants to sell then eBid are the only real potential buyers which would restrict what he can get for it.

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

For what it's worth...

ebid.com was first registered in 1996 - rather making a mockery of any claims that the guy only bought it in order to fleece ebid.net

When G & M started eBid it was dot co dot uk
    dot com was already taken.

At that time I think the Guys were only really thinking about the UK market.

(If they could go back in time maybe they would have bought a different domain name to start with, or maybe they would have bought all the available variations of eBid
    I'm sure we'd all love the opportunity to go back & change something. )

Since then they purchased dot tv, & a few years later dot net

The whole dot com thing seems to be a lot more important to those in the US,
    than it seems to the rest of us
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

The main thing as far as attracting people to the site is that if you simply Google ebid, then we are the top of the pile. It would be nice to have all the variations, simply so that all traffic could be forwarded to the main site, but for me, as long as buyers and potential new sellers can find us easily I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

I'm sure we'd all love the opportunity to go back & change something.

The whole dot com thing seems to be a lot more important to those in the US,
    than it seems to the rest of us
    It's not important to all of us in the U.S. either.

And when someone finds eBid.net and likes it, the site will get bookmarked and the extension won't matter a bit.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

.net is fast becoming a contender alongside .com getting more easy to remember as well.

View NuttyKrafts's Feedback (+644)
    All-About NuttyKrafts
    View NuttyKrafts's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can't see that it makes any difference. Like ( I suspect) most people, if I wanted to look for something on Google, I'd just type in the name without any dot com, dot net or whatever. I have managed just fine doing it this way and always find what I'm looking for.
    Nutty by name, nutty by nature.
    /

Hand made items here

Bits and pieces here

Fund raising for L.O.R.O.S. here

Books and music for L.O.R.O.S. here

Thread Information