eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Item variants.

Forum Lurker
    View james1968's Feedback (+159)
    All-About james1968
    View james1968's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Item variants.

The one thing that stopped me recommending eBid as a platform for a friend of mine was the lack of any 'Item variants' feature. He runs a very successful clothing store that deals mainly in Goth/rock items. To boost trade, he engaged me on a commission basis to sell a few items (with him doing the packing/shipping).

As we are starting-out with snapback caps, we needed a platform that would allow us to easily create one listing that enabled the buyer to select the wording and colour of the hat. This feature is not available on eBid, so I had to set him up an E..y account instead. The sooner this sort of facility is availabe on here the better.
    All good things come to those who wait, and wait, and wait.....

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Item variants.

Seconded!

I am sure it is on the 'To do' list, it just takes a bit longer on eBid due to lack of resources. It might be a good idea to plug this issue when the mobile app and API starts are announced, as they may be getting ready for the next big update or new feature then. Or why not start a poll, if it can be shown that there is interest in something it may get noticed.

I would vote yes on a poll, not something I used on eBay even though I have items with several size/colour varients, though I did consider giving it a go.

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

I hope it is on the to-do list. But it's a massive job, probably much bigger than many people realise.

Something on that scale will affect everything from the initial listing, to calculating postage and when it gets to that point, then it probably starts to affect the whole "checkout" routine as well.

It would make sense to combine an introduction of variants with a complete revamp of the checkout process to make something that was more akin to a shopping cart.

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    I hope it is on the to-do list. But it's a massive job, probably much bigger than many people realise.

Something on that scale will affect everything from the initial listing, to calculating postage and when it gets to that point, then it probably starts to affect the whole "checkout" routine as well.

It would make sense to combine an introduction of variants with a complete revamp of the checkout process to make something that was more akin to a shopping cart.
    I used to teach programming, so I know only too well how big a job it is. And as you rightly say it may also give the opportunity to tidy up a few other things at the same time, I know a few people are having problems with the combined shipping at the moment for one. That's why I suggested that after the API and mobile app might be a good time for it to be done, they have taken on two big tasks there and once those are complete this could be the next major undertaking, or they could put their feet up for a few weeks and de-stress themselves first.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

It probably depends on if (as some suggest) eBid is chasing listing numbers. If so, then variants on listings would go against that policy.

Maybe if the API ever arrives, seller templates could be made to service variants - even if eBid didn't provide the facility. Currently, templates could offer a selection. All that's missing is a way to automatically signal that choice back to the seller. If the API provided a call to generate a note on the AAL then it may be achievable.
    Last edited by astral276; 27th July 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Forum Lurker
    View james1968's Feedback (+159)
    All-About james1968
    View james1968's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have on my hard drive an e..y clone that is written in PHP. Even that has a module for variations of an item.

I am, of course, assuming that Ebid is written in PHP rather than hand-coded HTML.
    All good things come to those who wait, and wait, and wait.....

Forum Diehard
    All-About PetBazaar
    Forum Posts

Think the eBid site is a mix n match of PHP, Perl CGI and HTML with embedded Javascript.

This reply is, of course, for James1968. For everyone else, who may not have any idea what on earth I'm talking about, I can post a link to some fluffy bunnies or cars. Both of which are, quite frankly, probably more interesting.

Thread Information