Thread: Antiques, Fine etc.........

Forum Newbie
    View ebidie's Feedback (+1524)
    All-About ebidie
    View ebidie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Red face Antiques, Fine etc.........

Hi All
    I'm "EBIDIE" and quite new to Ebid, I've come over from the other side!
    One thing I have noticed and it's not only Ebid, is that many titles are not what they turnout to be,
    I'm into mainly Antique's / jewellery / silver, (please view my site sometime,there are many interesting item comming at bargin prices ) the problem I see it that there are very few items that are antiques (70-100 years old) in the antigue jewellery / silver section, there most modern or perhaps second hand or calling themselves "Antique style", also under "Fine" jewellery there are mainly new cheap items, silver, chains, rings etc..........fine to me is quality item's from perhaps £100 up.
    I wonder in the future there maybe a place that has to be defined as ANTIQUE'S and FINE JEWELLERY, and also the word Diamond should mean a real natural DIAMOND, not useing the word lab created.
    Dont wont to upset anyone, just think its a good idea, to define the items, so thay HAVE TO go in the correct heading, well that's got that off my chest.
    Happy bidding all.

Default Re: Antiques, Fine etc.........

Welcome. Glad you came over to the more friendlier side. Yes I do speak from experience and this side is much more friendly and has less stress. I'm not much into Antiques but you're idea sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by ebidie View Post
    Hi All
    I'm "EBIDIE" and quite new to Ebid, I've come over from the other side!
    One thing I have noticed and it's not only Ebid, is that many titles are not what they turnout to be,
    I'm into mainly Antique's / jewellery / silver, (please view my site sometime,there are many interesting item comming at bargin prices ) the problem I see it that there are very few items that are antiques (70-100 years old) in the antigue jewellery / silver section, there most modern or perhaps second hand or calling themselves "Antique style", also under "Fine" jewellery there are mainly new cheap items, silver, chains, rings etc..........fine to me is quality item's from perhaps £100 up.
    I wonder in the future there maybe a place that has to be defined as ANTIQUE'S and FINE JEWELLERY, and also the word Diamond should mean a real natural DIAMOND, not useing the word lab created.
    Dont wont to upset anyone, just think its a good idea, to define the items, so thay HAVE TO go in the correct heading, well that's got that off my chest.
    Happy bidding all.
    A warm welcome ebidie. The antique & vintage jewellery section is divided into sub category time lines so there should be no problem placing an item into the right time bracket. So if there are items in the Edwardian or Victorian sections that shouldn't be there then please report them to ebid for being in the wrong category. Each advert has a report button at the top.

I always thought the term 'fine jewellery' was defined by the fact that it was made from a precious metal like gold and silver rather than a base metal and had nothing to do with price ? I might be wrong but lots of articles on the net seem to agree with this.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Fine-Jewelry&id=139005

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

I always thought the term 'fine jewellery' was defined by the fact that it was made from a precious metal like gold and silver rather than a base metal and had nothing to do with price ? I might be wrong but lots of articles on the net seem to agree with this.
    I agree - FINE jewelry refers to the quality, not the price. The price can vary, depending on who's selling, and why, but the quality remains.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    A warm welcome ebidie. The antique & vintage jewellery section is divided into sub category time lines so there should be no problem placing an item into the right time bracket. So if there are items in the Edwardian or Victorian sections that shouldn't be there then please report them to ebid for being in the wrong category. Each advert has a report button at the top.

Agree with the above. I list the bulk of my jools under antique/vintage as most are vintage and IMHO it fits the bill.

Oh and welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Newbie
    All-About ebidie
    View ebidie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, I agree to a degree, I was brought up with the words "fine, as in "a fine peice of jewellery" and that would not mean a silver ring for a pound or two.
    So in that contects "fine is not cheap", more a quality peice, if you get my drift !
    Thanks for the welcome.

View litt2late's Feedback (+1496)
    All-About litt2late
    View litt2late's Listings
    Forum Posts

let me add that it's a good idea and if you can maybe put in a section were is say's estate jewelry. some time i get some good old but not antique jewelry. thanks

Forum Newbie
    All-About ebidie
    View ebidie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, that's perhaps what we need , something to go stright too, knowing there will be quality vintage silver & jewellery. There you go Gazza ,when you have got nothing to do !

Thread Information