Thread: I have been asked

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: I have been asked

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Perhaps you're thinking of single items up for auction. I had multiple items on BIN in mind. It's a work-around and it's not perfect but at least sellers could do it right away.
    They have to be BIN for Google to be relevant. I don't see it as a successful work-around (and we know how long "temporary" solutions last here - look at holiday notices! ) I think there's also be a lot of screaming an shouting about some people getting extra listings and others not. It would be extremely hard to police effectively. I'd rather see a real solution and wait a little longer - though I accept that's easy for me to say sitting in England not France.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    They have to be BIN for Google to be relevant. I don't see it as a successful work-around (and we know how long "temporary" solutions last here - look at holiday notices! ) I think there's also be a lot of screaming an shouting about some people getting extra listings and others not. It would be extremely hard to police effectively. I'd rather see a real solution and wait a little longer - though I accept that's easy for me to say sitting in England not France.
    Yes, you're right, it would have to be BIN. Yes, impossible to police. Putting myself in the non U.K. sellers position though, and if it was a choice between getting some local Google exposure or not!

And yes, a real solution would be better!
    Last edited by kedo; 2nd September 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Yes good point, it would have to be BIN. Multiple item then. Yes, impossible to police. Putting myself in the non U.K. sellers position though, and if it was a choice between getting some local Google exposure or not!
    Thanks for your input. Believe me - I've thought of this one and yesterday I nearly made a start on it... I do in fact have a spare store. However, I do think that I run the risk of getting muddled (especially as I also have stock I take to markets etc). I am at heart a good girl and I know it would be bending the rules!! So I did decide to wait a bit longer...

How difficult would it be to implement the changes re titles suggested? Speaking as a complete "null" with computers I don't know!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    Thanks for your input. Believe me - I've thought of this one and yesterday I nearly made a start on it... I do in fact have a spare store. However, I do think that I run the risk of getting muddled (especially as I also have stock I take to markets etc). I am at heart a good girl and I know it would be bending the rules!! So I did decide to wait a bit longer...

How difficult would it be to implement the changes re titles suggested? Speaking as a complete "null" with computers I don't know!
    Taking the proposal in my first post, and speaking from a position of not having seen a single line of the site code it would be time-consuming rather than difficult. If you change from one title to two, and need to choose between them, that effects every single screen, sub-routine, print etc that uses title. Even if it's just to look and see if it has to be changed, you still need to check every occurrence. The bits that are to be altered are anything around input, edit (screen, Ninja, bulk edit) and display. Screen layouts have to be altered to accommodate the new field. All the google code needs to be altered to use the chosen title, and all invoicing etc must use the appropriate version. Space has to be found on screen for both the extra title and the choice box. All emails have to be checked to make sure they use the right version. Whatever duplicate checking they have needs to consider the implications of two titles - compare both? It's a massive amount of work. And when it's done, it all has to be tested. At least twice.

It always makes me cringe when certain folks on here say "it would be an easy change", as if they just need to wave a wand.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Taking the proposal in my first post, and speaking from a position of not having seen a single line of the site code it would be time-consuming rather than difficult. If you change from one title to two, and need to choose between them, that effects every single screen, sub-routine, print etc that uses title. Even if it's just to look and see if it has to be changed, you still need to check every occurrence. The bits that are to be altered are anything around input, edit (screen, Ninja, bulk edit) and display. Screen layouts have to be altered to accommodate the new field. All the google code needs to be altered to use the chosen title, and all invoicing etc must use the appropriate version. Space has to be found on screen for both the extra title and the choice box. All emails have to be checked to make sure they use the right version. Whatever duplicate checking they have needs to consider the implications of two titles - compare both? It's a massive amount of work. And when it's done, it all has to be tested. At least twice.

It always makes me cringe when certain folks on here say "it would be an easy change", as if they just need to wave a wand.
    If only Harry Potter worked for eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    If only Harry Potter worked for eBid.

He's a bit reckless, they'd be better off with Hermione.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

He's a bit reckless, they'd be better off with Hermione.
    LOL!

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am at heart a good girl and I know it would be bending the rules!! So I did decide to wait a bit longer...
    Well my good side was thinking more in terms of a specific exception being made for BIN, or more particularly Dutch, auctions. Something like 'you may list one Dutch auction in the language of you (non English language) home site and one in English on all sites". I can see your dilema, having to choose between one market or the other must be retarding the growth of the European eBid sites.

Well my good side was thinking more in terms of a specific exception being made for BIN, or more particularly Dutch, auctions. Something like 'you may list one Dutch auction in the language of you (non English language) home site and one in English on all sites". I can see your dilema, having to choose between one market or the other must be retarding the growth of the European eBid sites.
    Growth in France is pretty much nil... in fact some of the brave long stay few have drifted away recently.

I am happy with bykimbo's suggestion too which expands the idea from Gothicina - particularly if the second title would be useful to other sellers for other reasons as well....

Growth in France is pretty much nil... in fact some of the brave long stay few have drifted away recently.

I am happy with bykimbo's suggestion too which expands the idea from Gothicina - particularly if the second title would be useful to other sellers for other reasons as well....

Like Kim I've no idea how easy it would be to implement changes, but maybe the following would be workable & a way of killing 2 birds with one stone, with minimal disruption.

• There have already been a number of threads requesting an increase in the number of character's in a title currently 55, plus mention that the bay have increased theirs to 80, I don't think a character length change would be a major programming problem, although it may cause one with the site layout, so increase the current eBid title field to 80 or more, to make importing from other sites as easy as possible.
    • Doing the above would probably prove the death knell for sub titles. The field is already on listing forms & obviously coded into the site already, if the Guy's were willing to forgo, the income from them, (I don't know how much of a cash generator that is, but if balanced against growth on the non English Countries may well be worth a try), & instead change that field to google title, with a character limit of less than 70 to ensure no problems with google uploads, & used that as the title field for ALL google uploads, it may also help those who have their own site & currently have to use the opt-out from google uploads which has had occasional glitches, as leaving it blank would prevent inclusion.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 13th September 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information