Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teenagers!

Default Re: Teenagers!

Because I drive a cab at night, I get to meet lots of people in their late teens, & early twenties.

There were no problems near where I live & work, although plenty of rumours that there would be & the local Mc D's shut early one night to protect their (mainly very young) staff, who we regularly take home.

I have deliberately not introduced the subject of the riots in any conversation with youngsters, yet they all have, they seem to want to talk & vent their anger at the rioters, and it has all been at the rioters, not the government or society in general, & definitely not the police.

They all think the police should have clamped down hard right from the start, should have used water cannon, should have used baton rounds, many point out that in the US, they would have probably used tear gas, & think our police should be able to as well.
    They think the punishments handed down by the courts so far, have not been hard enough.

Many also say it has made them feel ashamed to be young, which is probably why their condemnation is so strong.

Something else I've noticed is that although just as many are wearing hoodies, there are very few who are wearing them with their hoods up

I should add, not all the youngsters I pick up have jobs, lots don't & some have been searching for the last 2 or 3 years for one.

One lad I regularly see, lives with his Nan, he's been trying for lots of jobs & keeps missing out. Now he & a couple of friends, with some financial backing from another, have decided to open their own shop, & have been busy the last few weeks looking at premises.

Last edited by Gothicina; 13th August 2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    Because I drive a cab at night, I get to meet lots of people in their late teens, & early twenties.

There were no problems near where I live & work, although plenty of rumours that there would be & the local Mc D's shut early one night to protect their (mainly very young) staff, who we regularly take home.

I have deliberately not introduced the subject of the riots in any conversation with youngsters, yet they all have, they seem to want to talk & vent their anger at the rioters, and it has all been at the rioters, not the government or society in general, & definitely not the police.

They all think the police should have clamped down hard right from the start, should have used water cannon, should have used baton rounds, many point out that in the US, they would have probably used tear gas, & think our police should be able to as well.
    They think the punishments handed down by the courts so far, have not been hard enough.

Many also say it has made them feel ashamed to be young, which is probably why their condemnation is so strong.

Something else I've noticed is that although just as many are wearing hoodies, there are very few who are wearing them with their hoods up.
    I have spoken to many young people in the last week, a number of them drug users/addicts, and have had the same experience. I have not yet met a youngster that has agreed with the rioting.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

Something else I've noticed is that although just as many are wearing hoodies, there are very few who are wearing them with their hoods up

I should add, not all the youngsters I pick up have jobs, lots don't & some have been searching for the last 2 or 3 years for one.

One lad I regularly see, lives with his Nan, he's been trying for lots of jobs & keeps missing out. Now he & a couple of friends, with some financial backing from another, have decided to open their own shop, & have been busy the last few weeks looking at premises.

Agree with much of what you say. I have for years worked with young people, trying to bring out the best in them. They are our future, and quite frankly we are in alot of trouble.

Our FBI, local, state, and federal law enforcement folk captured a familly trio of dangerous youth today. They traveled out of the East Coast across the Country for 8 days evading capture. Robbing banks as they made their way across the Country. It took a malitia force to capture them; they sho @ police with assault weapons. When finally taken down, police recovered 2 AK 47 or skss assault weapons, probably belonging to the 2 brothers. The girl stepped out of the car armed with a Mack 11-sub machine gun. They shot her in the leg; they could have used lethal force to take these kids down, but they captured them alive. High kudos were given to our FBI, State, and local law enforcement agencies across the Country for the highly skilled and restrained manner in taking the kids into custody.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

What a coincidence, I went out today to mail a letter after posting above. Was a little down about youth. Went into center City area and a huge block party was being held for youth and the community. Many businesses, organizations, and community leaders were out in mass. A very large number of youth were present and many were actively involved in the outreach event. The theme was revitalization of the community, education, work, business opportunities, etc for the youth and young people. It was beautiful to see and I was so encouraged. The young people were so chill and enjoying all the music, food, and activities. Actually, the group age span covered from infants to senior citizens. They just all seemed to blend, but the focus was on the youth.

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    I have spoken to many young people in the last week, a number of them drug users/addicts, and have had the same experience. I have not yet met a youngster that has agreed with the rioting.
    Was that whilst wandering through Somerstown late at night?
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fossy View Post
    Was that whilst wandering through Somerstown late at night?
    LOL

To be honest I would feel safer in Somerstown than I do walking through the town centre at night with its pubs and clubs.

I am old enough to remember the old terrace houses being pulled down to make, what was then, the new modern Somerstown estate. There was a waiting list of people wanting to live there in those days.
    Last edited by TonyBridger; 14th August 2011 at 12:02 PM.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was bought up in Landport (Arundel Street) and went to school with many of the Charlotte Street barrow boys, the Madgewicks and the Stanley's) and moved to Yorke Street by Kings Road in the early 60's. That was a nice area at the time, but now I believe it is classed as part of Somerstown. Must admit I'm wary of walking anywhere in Portsmouth these days at night.

I fondly remember all the little rows of terraced houses on the South Side of Arundel Street and had some great times around there.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poppa501 View Post
    Poor? This video might shine more light on the subject. A little long (8 mins.) but well worth the watch.

Thanks for shaing this Poppa! I agree the attitude of entitlement is definitely a problem with young people today. However, it is worldwide.

Thread Information