Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Selling something for $2.00 or $1.99. Does the 1cent really change a persons mind?

Forum Newbie
    View Spotted13's Feedback (+269)
    All-About Spotted13
    View Spotted13's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Selling something for $2.00 or $1.99. Does the 1cent really change a persons mind?

I always wondered this but why are most prices 1.99 or 1.95 instead of just 2.00? Has anyone noticed if an item can sell faster if it's .99 instead of the .00?
    Most of the items I sell have the .00 at the end. I'm going to start selling with .99 instead.
    Has any one tried this before?

Side note: I am not selling items for $2 or $1.99. It just an example.

Default Re: Selling something for $2.00 or $1.99. Does the 1cent really change a persons mind

For years shops of all kind sell with the 99 pence or 99 cents... must work for them, either that or it is habit.

I always automatically round up to the next pound in my mind anyway, so all myl isting end with a 0.. think it is a personal choice thing...
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Selling something for $2.00 or $1.99. Does the 1cent really change a persons mind

Forum Newbie
    View Spotted13's Feedback (+269)
    All-About Spotted13
    View Spotted13's Listings
    Forum Posts

That's funny.
    All I know is I always go for the lower price no matter what number it ends in.

This applies not only to low-priced items ($1.99 vs $2.00), but big-ticket items too.

From a marketing class I took in college: two identical houses, in similar neighborhoods, with asking prices of $497,999 vs $500,000

The authors had interviewed prospective buyers after the house tours. Now, if someone can afford that much for a house, these are really the same price. But almost everyone felt that the first one was a huge bargain. Go figure.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is interesting too - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06351/746545-28.stm

So .99 price endings may signal a bargain, .00 endings may signal quality!

I generally use x.99 prices.

It's not just the psychological pricing thing, I also think .99 is used in high street retail more, whereas as £1 / £2 / £3 etc, smacks of car boot sales / classfieds etc. as in 'how much is that? 'Er, give us a quid for it'. The exception for me is stamps, where the catalogue price is usually in full pounds or units of ten pence, i divide by three so this ends up in a lot of funny prices like £1.67.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    All-About kdog1m
    View kdog1m's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes it matters, I'm a manager at a corporate grocery store chain, and I have found that even though it's only 1 cent, it's the perception the customer takes on. For example when the see $1.99 as opposed to $2.00, the see the 1 first, not putting together that it's only a 1cent diiference.

Doesn't work on me as a buyer.

As a seller I use £1.95 or £2.00 never £1.99.

There is nothing more annoying than the way they price fuel,
    in amounts that don't exist.

Derv 137.9p a litre, what happens if I want to buy one litre, there is no such thing as point 9 of a penny, we don't even have half pence these days?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information